Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
xzvf
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Monthly only backup to GFS media pool

Post by xzvf »

Hello,

I have read the according GFS documentation and some forum entries, but no luck so far.

So my concern is that one of our major clients with an existing GFS media pool would like to add a source backup job (which is run only once a month) to this media pool. The GFS media pool have daily, weekly, monthly and yearly media sets defined.
However - for understandable reasons -, they would like to write this source job to tape once every month, and so this would not consume space in the daily, weekly media sets.
Is there a way to write this once-a-month source job to a this GFS media pool, but only once in a month?

The only related issue I found is described here:
tape-f29/how-to-interact-gfs-daily-jobs ... 75742.html
But the solution suggested there is not working, because I can not define a monthly schedule on the tape job, since it automatically copies the GFS media pool's schedule, so I can not unconfigure the daily and weekly runs.

Is there _any_ suggestion to do that, even with some scripting, etc.?
The end user uses Veeam B&R v11a.

Update1:
Or it will not write anything to tape except exactly what I need, since no new restore points created, according to this:
"The GFS job copies only new restore points. If the source job did not create a new point after the last GFS job run, the GFS job will not copy anything to tape. For example, if you want weekly backups in the tape GFS archive, make sure that the source job runs at least once a week."
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Thank you in advance,
Balazs
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2302 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Monthly only backup to GFS media pool

Post by Mildur »

Hi Balazs

Do you have tried a standard media pool and let the backup to tape job run once per month?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
xzvf
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by xzvf »

Hello Fabian

Standard media pool is not an option, they do not have the infrastructure requirements, and everything is implemented in a GFS pool, we don't really want to reassemble everything.

Best Regards,
Balazs
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 325 times

Post by david.domask »

@xzvf,

If you're willing to accept an ugly but fast to implement kludge, consider setting up a dedicated Tape GFS job with this source job; create a simple post-job script that triggers the Tape GFS job with the -Monthly flag:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

This will force the tape GFS job to try to find the most eligible backup for the source job to move to tape, and it will ensure a Full gets to tape one way or another.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst