v7 - Eject Tape option is greyed out

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: v7 - Eject Tape option is greyed out

Veeam Logoby horst » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:13 am

Hi all,

we have a Dell R420 with a locally attached Dell PowerVault LTO5-140 Tape Drive (IBM ULTRIUM-HH5). We have also installed v7 of Veeam B&R.
Last night the first copy to tape Job ran, with negative result:

Code: Select all

Montag, 26. August 2013 23:00:10
Success 1 Start time 23:00:10 Total size 210,7 GB Faield to eject tape Error: Automated library not found (id: 4d850089-e255-4882-ae72-acd34ad1b4b4).

Warning 0 End time 01:13:56 (+1) Data read 210,7 GB
Error 0 Duration 2:13:45  Transferred 210,7 GB
Details 
Name Status Start time End time Size Read Transferred Duration Details
This server Success 23:00:21 01:13:52 (+1) 210,7 GB 210,7 GB 210,7 GB 2:13:30   

Veeam Backup & Replication 7.0.0.690

so the automatically eject of the tape would also be highly preferred by us!

btw, I think there is a typo error in the error message at "Faield to eject tape Error"
horst
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times

Eject Tape via command line

Veeam Logoby hoFFy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:22 am

Hello all,

maybe I've found another solution this morning:
I successfully tried the Fujitsu FLATt command line tool to eject a LTO4 from our standalone Tandberg drive. I think this is a typical environment for many SMBs out there as written by others before.
The documentation for the tool can be found under ftp://ftp.ts.fujitsu.com/images/TapeFac ... indows.pdf The tool itself ejected the tape without killing the Veeam services and it can be downloaded from http://support.ts.fujitsu.com where you have to navigate to "Drivers & Downloads" -> selecting "Storage", "LTO Desktop" and e.g. LTO-DT-U4S -> your OS -> Tools and Utilitites
This is a one line command line tool, so it should be very easy to integrate into everyones Veeam environment ;)

Now I'm able to eject the tape via a scheduled task every morning.... But do I have to do an inventory scan befor the daily B2D job starts, or doesn't Veeam take care of which tape is in the drive? In the case it takes care how can I tell Veeam to do an inventory scan via command line / PowerShell?
VMCE 7 / 8 / 9, VCP-DC 5 / 5.5 / 6, MCITP:SA
Blog: machinewithoutbrain.de
hoFFy
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Sebastian Hoffmann

Veeam Logoby hoFFy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:14 am

horst wrote:Hi all,

we have a Dell R420 with a locally attached Dell PowerVault LTO5-140 Tape Drive (IBM ULTRIUM-HH5). We have also installed v7 of Veeam B&R.
Last night the first copy to tape Job ran, with negative result:

Hello Horst,

as mentioned earlier in this post: Ejecting of tapes in standalone drives is currently not supported by Veeam.

You could try my solution and see if it works for you.
hoFFy
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:18 am

In the case it takes care how can I tell Veeam to do an inventory scan via command line / PowerShell?

When you load new tapes in your tape device for the first time, these tapes are shown in Veeam Backup & Replication as Unrecognized. In order to identify such tapes, you have to start tape inventory job against them. Providing that there is only one tape drive in your environment, the tape inventory job can be started via the following commands:

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
$Drive1 = Get-VBRTapeDrive
$Drive1.TapeMedium | Start-VBRTapeInventory

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby hoFFy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:34 am

v.Eremin wrote:
In the case it takes care how can I tell Veeam to do an inventory scan via command line / PowerShell?

When you load new tapes in your tape device for the first time, these tapes are shown in Veeam Backup & Replication as Unrecognized. In order to identify such tapes, you have to start tape inventory job against them. Providing that there is only one tape drive in your environment, the tape inventory job can be started via the following commands:

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
$Drive1 = Get-VBRTapeDrive
$Drive1.TapeMedium | Start-VBRTapeInventory

Thanks.

Is this only for new tapes that have never been used in Veeam before, or do I have to do inventory scan every time after ejecting the tape via "external" script and inserting a new tape that has benn used before in Veeam?
hoFFy
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:21 am 1 person likes this post

Tape medias that have been previously used by VB&R will be recognized during the tape job run. Meanwhile, for the so-called "new comers" (tape medias that haven't been previously used by VB&R) you will have to utilize the inventory task.

Probably, it’d be better if you just scheduled the above mentioned script as the regular task in Windows Scheduler, so that, each day the tape would be inventoried prior to the job execution.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby hoFFy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks Vladimir,

I'll give it a try!
hoFFy
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby horst » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:30 am

v.Eremin wrote:Tape medias that have been previously used by VB&R will be recognized during the tape job run. Meanwhile, for the so-called "new comers" (tape medias that haven't been previously used by VB&R) you will have to utilize the inventory task.

Probably, it’d be better if you just scheduled the above mentioned script as the regular task in Windows Scheduler, so that, each day the tape would be inventoried prior to the job execution.

Thanks.

so just a question for cunclusion:

I have six tapes (monday to saturday, one per each day) that all have been inventorized in Veeam B&R and added to a pool. I`m changing the tapes every day.
For example when I´m ejecting the monday tape and inserting the thuesday tape, B&R still shows the monday tape located in the tape drive. This only changes, when I´m starting an inventory job.
Then the inserted tape is shown correct.

Is it necessary, to do an inventory after every tape change, or will B&R do an inventory automatically anyway, before the next copy to tape job starts?
horst
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Peter_Riederer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:39 am

Hello horst,
it is not necessary to do an inventory after changing the tape. B&R uses the tape which is in the drive, that works without any problems.
Cheers
Peter_Riederer
Influencer

Full Name: Peter Riederer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:48 am

As mentioned, previously used tape medias will be recognized by VB&R. Though, the actual recognition won’t happen until a corresponding tape job starts.

So, providing that you’re not going to use any completely new tape media, you can disregard the said “inventory” script. Otherwise, if sometimes it’s a new tap and sometimes it’s previously used one, you'd better schedule the script and let it do its work.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby TommyB » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:11 am

Peter_Riederer wrote:Hello Gostev,
Normally an ejected tape, was an indicator to our customers backup was successful. And a lot of our customers only have some normal office staff, who are changing the tapes without any access to the GUI.

Exact the same here - with BackupExec, "tape ejected" was a visual sign of "Backup completed successfully" because I configured it to only eject in case of a successful backup.

That way I never had to start BackupExec to check if a job was successful, but only when the tape did not come out in the morning. Plus I never got bothered by "Backup successful" emails every day.

I'd vote for a "eject on successful backup" option for single drives as well.
TommyB
Expert

Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Veeam Logoby horst » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:13 am

TommyB wrote:
Peter_Riederer wrote:Hello Gostev,
Normally an ejected tape, was an indicator to our customers backup was successful. And a lot of our customers only have some normal office staff, who are changing the tapes without any access to the GUI.

Exact the same here - with BackupExec, "tape ejected" was a visual sign of "Backup completed successfully" because I configured it to only eject in case of a successful backup.

That way I never had to start BackupExec to check if a job was successful, but only when the tape did not come out in the morning. Plus I never got bothered by "Backup successful" emails every day.

I'd vote for a "eject on successful backup" option for single drives as well.

I vote, too! :D
horst
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:19 am

Yep, guys, these forums are always thoughtfully monitored for potential features or future improvements. So, taking into account the demand for this particular option, there is certainly something for us to consider. :)

Thanks again for the valuable feedback.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby hoFFy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:26 am

v.Eremin wrote:Yep, guys, these forums are always thoughtfully monitored for potential features or future improvements. So, taking into account the demand for this particular option, there is certainly something for us to consider. :)

Thanks again for the valuable feedback.

I just wanted to say "Thank you" for the fast and excellent responses from the Veeam-Team in this forum!

[small joke]
I'm very interested in a look behind the scenes at Veeam and their internal "requested feature list" with its priorities... like the internal road map... just like a child before christmas :D
[/small joke]
hoFFy
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:51 am 1 person likes this post

Just like a child before christmas

Hopefully, Santa will be good to you. :D
v.Eremin