we're currently experiencing major problems with daily full backup to tape with a backup copy job as source.
We currently have the following setup:
- Three vSphere 6 Hosts (two in primary site, one in remote office)
- One physical Veeam v9 Update 2 Server in primary site with iSCSI Repository (RepA) and SAS TapeLibrary
- One VM in remote office acting as Veeam Backup Proxy, Guest Interaction Proxy, etc. and using a CIFS NAS as Backup Repository (RepB)
- Several reverse incremental backup jobs to backup VMs from remote office to RepB (all running monday-saturday at 19:00)
- Several reverse incremental backup jobs to backup VMs from primary site to RepA (all starting monday-saturday at 20:00)
- One backup copy job to copy VM backups from remote Office RepB to primary site RepA (Interval 1 day, starting 18:55, BackupCopyLookForward RegKey enabled, no WAN acceleration, finishing normally at around 21:45)
- One daily backup to tape job starting monday-friday at 22:30 with linked jobs: all backup jobs from primary site, backup copy job remote to primary (write to Daily Media Pool, only Full, synthetic on monday-friday , no incremental)
- One weekly backup to tape job starting saturday at 22:30 with linked jobs: all backup jobs from primary site, backup copy job remote to primary (write to Weekly Media Pool, only Full, synthetic on saturday, no incremental)
We want only full backups to tape in order to be able to restore everything from one single media set. This works for all the latest restore points of the reverse incremental backup jobs (regardless whether weekly or daily backup to tape job is running). But the restore point of the backup copy job is only sometimes written to tape. To be specific: the restore points from the backup copy job are only written to tape on saturdays (weekly tape job) and on mondays, wednesdays and fridays (daily tape job).
I suspect this is caused by the virtual full interval (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... rvals.html
) not finding a new restore point to synthesize when the last tape session ended after midnight thus running into the next virtual full day.
What can we do to get a complete full backup to tape every day including the restore points from the backup copy job ?
Also I haven't found a way to get the tape job to write the backup copy job's restore point of the actual day to tape. We always end up with e.g. a wednesday media set containing the wednesday backups from the primary site but the tuesday backup from the remote office (backup copy job) even though the backup copy job finishes copying the data about one hour before we even start writing to tape. Is there any way to get this resolved ?
Thanks in advance !