Veeam keeps marking the Tape library as offline

Everything about backing up to tape

Veeam keeps marking the Tape library as offline

Veeam Logoby pmansfield » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:52 am

I don't know what triggers it, but the tape library only stays online for a few days, and then Veeam says it's offline and won't talk to it. The library itself hasn't been power cycled, disconnected or had anything else done to it that would cause it from a hardware point of view.

In Veeam, if I go Tape Infrastructure -> Offline Tapes -> Quantum Scaler i40-i80 153G, right click the library and choose Rescan
It pops up the job progress window, but it just says: Tape library QUANTUM Scalar i40-i80 153G (offline) appears to be offline
There doesn't appear to be any other way of getting the library online.

Restarting the tape library doesn't help, and I can't keep rebooting the Veeam server every couple of days. The library is a Scalar i40 with a pair of HP LTO-5 drives in it, and with EMC Networker, it ran pretty much flawlessly.

Veeam is 9.0.0.1491.

Any ideas?
pmansfield
Enthusiast

Liked: never

Re: Veeam keeps marking the Tape library as offline

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:37 pm

Hi pmansfield,

Strange behavior. If I were you, I’d check the way library is connected to ‘tape proxy’. If that does not help and all the cords are fine, check with our support team as it should be possible to identify the root cause by checking the debug logs.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Return to Tape