Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Backup Agent is centrally managed by your system admin...

Post by stuartmacgreen »

In an attempt to fix my scenario via this Support ID ( https://forums.veeam.com/physical-cloud ... ml#p278524) - which was successful, I decided to test Central Management of Agents in VBR, but have ended up in deeper limbo...

Let me summarize where I am currently now and how I got there ....

I have 2 Endpoints that are Veeam Proxy and Repository servers, and are being protected by Veeam Agent for Windows Free, with backups written to a VBR 9.5 U3 repository - for detail: Endpoint #1 stores its VAW backups on Endpoint #2 repository and yes... Endpoint #2 stores its backups on Endpoint #1 repository.

Once I fixed the scenario from the URL above I decided to test Central management of Agents.
Create a protection group with these computers on the VBR console server. Then create a Agent Backup Job.
OK I require a Paid for license to perform actual backups....
Time to revert back to just basic VAW free capabilities.
From the VBR Console server performed Uninstall of the Agent on both Endpoints. Successful.
Deleted the Agent Backup Job, and Protection Group. Now there is no reference to these endpoints in my Inventory - as Agents under the Physical and Cloud Infrastructure.

I logon locally to each Endpoint and perform the VAW 2.1 install. It completes the installer but with Error message ...
Unable to complete the action because this backup agent is centrally managed by your system administrator.
Programs and Features shows VAW is installed and the other Microsoft SQL features.
I am unable to go any further because of this message which is detecting this centrally managed status.

I have seen that there is a method to reset database which I'm guessing might get me out this jail, or cleanly uninstall, but I am using this machine for other Veeam purposes.

Limbo:
1. I cannot raise a support case through the VAW GUI due to this above message.
2. Logging a support case on the Customer Support Portal doesnt work either as I dont have a support ID for the VAW product to log support request against it or should I log it against VBR - for which I do have a support ID?

Ultimatey, I want to clear the flag that somewhere locally the Endpoint thinks it is centrally managed, without impacting my other Veeam components.

Thanks for any help.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup Agent is centrally managed by your system admin..

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Stuart.

Open Veeam B&R console and check if you see these agents under Inventory > Unmanaged node. If yes - right click hosts and choose move to protection group.
Logging a support case on the Customer Support Portal doesnt work either as I dont have a support ID for the VAW product to log support request against it or should I log it against VBR - for which I do have a support ID?
Yes, you can open the case related to Veeam B&R functionality.
stuartmacgreen
Expert

Post by stuartmacgreen »

Not under Unmanaged.
Do not exist in Agent Backup Jobs. Do not exist in Protection groups.

Have opened Support Case ID 02786491

Digging myself I see on the Endpoint even after uninstalling the standalone agent, there are registry keys left behind. And one key called ManagedMode that you have no permissions over, which is interesting.

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows\ManagedMode
There is a log file also that captures the error message:
"C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Endpoint\UI.Tray-<username>.log"
[20.04.2018 09:36:11] <01> Info Connecting to VBR in managed mode
[20.04.2018 09:36:11] <01> Error [Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows] Unable to complete the action because this backup agent is centrally managed by your system administrator.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for the details. Please try to re run the uninstall from the agent side (you might need to reboot your host after uninstall is performed), add this host to Veeam B&R via Protection Group and rescan it again.
stuartmacgreen
Expert

Post by stuartmacgreen » 1 person likes this post

Ultimately the reboot after the uninstalling of the VAW agent on the Endpoint cleared this status thinking that it was still centrally managed.

I now have Endpoint with Standalone VAW running, after testing with centrally managed agents.

Did have to uncheck the VAW setting Disable scheduled backups which must have been set somewhere in between.

Thanks @Dima and Support.
chupa
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul

Post by chupa »

What was the solution for this issue? Out of nowhere I can no longer configure Veeam on my local computer. Every application ends up with the error "Unable to complete the action because this backup agent is centrally manged by your system administrator"

The only thing that has changed is the windows 10 April 2018 update. Perhaps its related? Currently running Windows 10 Pro 1803 17134.48
stuartmacgreen
Expert

Post by stuartmacgreen »

chupa wrote:What was the solution for this issue? Out of nowhere I can no longer configure Veeam on my local computer. Every application ends up with the error "Unable to complete the action because this backup agent is centrally manged by your system administrator"

The only thing that has changed is the windows 10 April 2018 update. Perhaps its related? Currently running Windows 10 Pro 1803 17134.48
Can you break your configuration/setup problem down further to understand. My solution was not rebooting after the VAW uninstall (when it was never prompted), whereby without the reboot I was reinstalling VAW and caught in a loop with this message "unable to complete...".

If you trial centrally managed VAW and dont progress to full committed license be wary of getting yourself back out to the standalone mode thats all I can say from my experience.
chupa
Lurker
Full Name: Paul

Post by chupa »

I'v been using Veeam agent for windows in free mode to backup my home system. No licence at all. It has been working fine sense February then all the sudden this weekend it would not let me check the backup status or configuration. Any Veeam program would pop up the "managed by your system admin" warning. The only major change I can think of was the installation of the windows 10 April update. I'v given up on trying to rescue the install and trying to just blow it away completely now however I am even having issues doing that. When I try to install Veeam now it always fails at starting the Veeam service.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

The only major change I can think of was the installation of the windows 10 April update. I'v given up on trying to rescue the install and trying to just blow it away completely now however I am even having issues doing that. When I try to install Veeam now it always fails at starting the Veeam service.
Standalone agents should not be somehow affected by this message: it appears only when you manage your agent via Veeam Availability Console or via Veeam B&R server. Is it possible for you to submit a support case? Thanks.
Armin_M
Novice
Full Name: Armin Müller

Post by Armin_M »

Had the same issue on a customers computer today. He too had installed the 1803 Update of win10. Simply uninstalled and reinstalled Agent for Windows. Even the Backup-Settings have been kept. Works now fine again.

kind regards

Armin
djgrazzy
Lurker
Full Name: Chris McGrath

Post by djgrazzy »

Hopefully this help someone as its very similar.

I spun up a clean Windows 10 v1803 VM and installed VeeamAgentWindows_2.1.0.423 and it worked fine.

I tried replacing my program files from this clean install = No change > C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup
I tried replacing my program data from this clean install = No change > C:\ProgramData\Veeam
(stopping the tray exe and service each time)

I reverted back to my original files (HAS TO BE REGISTRY ISSUE)

I then deleted ManagedMode key with RegDelNull and then backed up my [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam] key before deleting it.

I then imported the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam] backup from the clean install VM.
This worked!

I was warned about not having restore media and lost my notification settings (added easily again)
The ManagedMode doesnt get exported in a reg backup but gets created again on first run.
I have attached both reg files for you as they may be helpful to someone else.
There is also a comparison image.

I deleted the reg key again and imported my non working key.

Comparing in notepadd ++ I started to
I deleted
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\FlrDrvInstaller]
and
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup]
"ReadonlyMode"=dword:00000001

Its most likely the latter of those two as its working again!
gabrielit76
Lurker
Full Name: Gabriel

Re: Backup Agent is centrally managed by your system admin...

Post by gabrielit76 »

Hi,
I know this is an old post but perhaps I could help some one else. I started to get this message at every reboot or when trying to launch the Veeam Agent.
I've found the cause was that I inadvertently uninstalled Microsoft System CLR Types for SQL Server 2012, Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express Local DB, Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Management Objects while cleaning my up computer (this could be replicated probably uninstalling one or two of them). Those are requirements that are installed during the initial Veeam Agent installation. I solved by uninstalling Veeam Agent and installing it again. It grabbed all my settings. Hope it helps.