Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
axiomcrs
Service Provider
Liked: never

Port 2500 no listening service or so it seems

Post by axiomcrs »

wanting to do image b/u's with the Veeam Windows backup agent from remote server to a server with VBR in my datacenter...it is failing for port 2500 with "12/15/2020 12:33:50 PM :: Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond x.x.x.x:2500 "...all fw's are off for now...and running the command on my destination server netstat -an | find /i "2500" shows no service is listening...also, tried running the same config job from 2 diff. computers at 2 diff. sites outside my network and backing up to the same destination server in my office network and getting the same failure.

Is there a missing piece of sw on the destination server?

VBR version is 10a. Windows backup agent is the latest.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Port 2500 no listening service or so it seems

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
That sounds like a technical issue. Please provide a support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic.

Without case number, the topic might be
deleted

Literally every Veeam components communicates with port 2500 https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100 - if it does not connect, then there is a firewall or or other issue. Port 2500 must be open on your VBR server.

Best regards,
Hannes
axiomcrs
Service Provider

Post by axiomcrs »

Case number is 04526502. The support engr is waiting for some internal Veeam assistance. He is waiting for the Agent team to respond to his request for help. Is there some method to verify if it is indeed a fw issue on the target machine? Just for further confirmation of 2500 being open. VBR on another offsite machine is sending backup copy jobs to the target server in question. I would assume that this means that the necessary components for Veeam to work with the backup in question are installed. The backup copy jobs are not conflicting with this backup effort. Running a command on the target server of netstat -an |find /i "established" shows no service using 2500.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

I just looked at the case and it seems that several things were handled there, but it's going on. I recommend to continue working with support, because it sounds like there are many more moving parts in that setup than mentioned in the initial post.

your netstat outputs look bad. no idea why, but they make no sense to me.
axiomcrs
Service Provider

Post by axiomcrs »

Switched the source from a Veeam agent to having a VBR installed. The target has VBR installed as well. But that has no bearing in this. I setup a b/u job with the source VBR going to the target as a b/u repos. and it worked the first time. Looks like the Veeam Windows agent as a source cannot talk to the repos./VBR target over WAN with port 2500 either b/c it never could or it is a bug imo.