Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
adamcbeck
Novice
Liked: never

Clarity on SureBackup - networking tests

Post by adamcbeck »

Hello everyone,

Going through the process of getting SureBackup configured and was hoping to get a bit of clarity on two topics. First is hopefully simply a UI confusion clarification:

I have a VLab set up, and testing a job with a single VM against it. After powering on, I see

Code: Select all

Results: IP address 10.0.0.3 is detected
Updating virtual lab parameters
Results: IP address 10.20.0.3, network '10.20.0.0', mask '255.255.255.0', gateway 10.10.20.28
However the ping test shows

Running ping test(s)
Network adapter 1: name 0001-default, usable
Network adapter 1: IP address 10.0.0.3, OK
My assumption here, is that the ping test is using the non-updated IP to show it has completed the ping test, not that it is incorrectly pinging 10.0.0.3 correct? IE the ping test is actually against the masquerade IP and im not missing something here.

My second question is trying to make sure I am configuring the Vlab isolated networks correctly, as there seems to be more work than I hoped. (ill simplify and use different networks for ease of explanation) We have a backup job, that is backing up VM's daily. These VM's do not have a common vlan for communication. So for example:

VM1 - vlan1 - 10.0.1.2
VM2 - vlan2 - 10.0.2.2
VM3 - vlan3 - 10.0.3.2
VM4 - vlan4 - 10.0.4.2
Within my virtual lab, the proxy appliance has a IP in vlan1, 10.0.1.100. Networking is set to Advanced single-host. Now this is where im looking for clarity to ensure I am doing it correctly, isolated networks, I need to add each vlan so:

Prod Network - Isolated Network         - VLAN ID
vlan1             - isolatednetwork-vlan1 - 1
vlan2             - isolatednetwork-vlan2 - 2
vlan3             - isolatednetwork-vlan3 - 3
vlan4             - isolatednetwork-vlan4 - 4
Under network settings, I now need to create a vNIC for each of these isolated networks, each of which needs its own Masquerade IP

vNIC   - Isolated Network         - Masquerade IP - Appliance IP  
vNIC1 - isolatednetwork-vlan1 - 10.20.1.x         - 10.0.1.1
vNIC2 - isolatednetwork-vlan2 - 10.20.2.x         - 10.0.2.1
vNIC3 - isolatednetwork-vlan3 - 10.20.3.x         - 10.0.3.1
vNIC4 - isolatednetwork-vlan4 - 10.20.4.x         - 10.0.4.1
I have routing in place to reach 10.20.0.0/16, that is working.

Is what im writing above, is that how I should be doing this? I ask, because at this point I have a lot more networks than 4 that need to be added, so before I go about adding them, wanted to ensure I wasnt misunderstanding something and there is significant work here that I dont need to do
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Clarity on SureBackup - networking tests

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums
the ping test is actually against the masquerade IP
yes. otherwise it would ping production.

VLANs look good and routing looks good. Except that I would avoid VLAN 1 (because I grew up with Cisco networks where VLAN 1 is special)

As far as I see, everything is working and you just like to confirm, that the configuration is correct, right?

Best regards,
Hannes
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

"I have routing in place to reach 10.20.0.0/16, that is working."
Do you mean that you have enabled routing between the vlab and production on your own router?
If this is the case please deactivate instantly.

The idea is that all communication goes through the vlab appliance from Veeam.
The vlab internal IP addresses will get the gateway addresses of the real subnet. There is a checkbox in the vlab wizard to enable routing for different vlab subnets (not to production networks).

Veeam would set a temporary routing entry on the Veeam server for the masquerade subnet to point to the vlab production network IP. So if you try to reach the masquerade subnet, it will reach the vlab appliance, the appliance translates the IP package into the production IP subnet range and sends it to the vlab internal network. The answer goes to the gateway IP (which is the vlab) network internal IP, get´s translated again to the Veeam server IP and arrives at the Veeam server.

This way you and the vlab wizard can reach the vlab (only) from the Backup server without affecting any production workload.
adamcbeck
Novice
Liked: never

Post by adamcbeck »

HannesK wrote: Jan 13, 2023 6:34 am Hello,
and welcome to the forums

yes. otherwise it would ping production.

VLANs look good and routing looks good. Except that I would avoid VLAN 1 (because I grew up with Cisco networks where VLAN 1 is special)

As far as I see, everything is working and you just like to confirm, that the configuration is correct, right?

Best regards,
Hannes
Hello Hannes,

Thats correct, i'm just looking for confirmation im doing this correct before I go through the work of creating all of these networks, vnics, etc that I wasnt misunderstanding and doing a bunch of work for nothing
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

thanks. for simplicity: I always recommend to put the virtual lab proxy appliance in the same subnet as the backup server. otherwise you need to configure routing in your network infrastructure.