Copy interval has expired Incremental copy was not processed

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Copy interval has expired Incremental copy was not processed

Veeam Logoby albertwt » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:41 am

Hi All,

Why is that when I still got enough disk space in the Backup Copy (Secondary), the backup copy job still failed with the below error:

Copy interval has expired, Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval

Some VMs were not processed during the copy interval
Backup location [E:\Backups] is getting low on free disk space (628.4 GB free of 13.5 TB).

Thanks in advance.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
albertwt
Expert

Liked: 19 times

Re: Copy interval has expired Incremental copy was not proce

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:25 am

The message itself means that the job didn't get enough time to copy all the required data within the copy interval. What are the job interval and scheduling settings?
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1083 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby albertwt » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:27 am

foggy wrote:The message itself means that the job didn't get enough time to copy all the required data within the copy interval. What are the job interval and scheduling settings?

1 copy everyday starting at 10:00 AM and the interval is continuously.
--
albertwt
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:35 am 1 person likes this post

That means that one day is simply not enough for the backup copy job to process all of the changes generated. Have you thought about increasing it? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby albertwt » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:38 am

OK, do you mean by changing it from:

--
albertwt
Expert

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:21 am 1 person likes this post

If you are doing full (initial) pass without seeding, then you can just try leaving everything as is: the job will finish transferring full backup, and incremental backups should be fine since generally they are at least 10 time smaller. You can check out the job report to estimate how much more time is needed to complete full backup transfer.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2350 times

Veeam Logoby bryan3636 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:52 pm

I don't understand why copy even uses an interval. If there's new data to copy, then just start copying. Don't stop until everything has been copied. It it wasn't for me going over WAN I would think xcopy does a better job than veeam's copy. I'd love to learn why I'm wrong.
bryan3636
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Bryan Hardesty

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:39 pm 2 people like this post

Because it's not just a copy of existing backup files, like xcopy - Backup Copy allows you to pick and choose only selected VMs from different jobs. And "don't stop until everything has been copied" approach is simply not suitable for an enterprise IT that needs to ensure offsite RPOs are met.

That said, I've long wanted to add basic, "dumbed down" mode for Backup Copy jobs that basically repeats xcopy and only copies entire backup files - this will allow some major simplification at the cost of major functionality loss, but it seems that quite some customers just want something simple like this.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2350 times

Veeam Logoby JaySt » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:57 pm 1 person likes this post

Gostev wrote:That said, I've long wanted to add basic, "dumbed down" mode for Backup Copy jobs that basically repeats xcopy and only copies entire backup files - this will allow some major simplification at the cost of major functionality loss, but it seems that quite some customers just want something simple like this.

i agree, and i can confirm the request for simplification. Almost every customer has difficulty understanding copy job intervals and scheduling of it. This tells something about the current implementation in my opinion. People seem to expect a simpler approach. I don't see many users(not yet) think of configuring things in a way SLAs are enforced in a strict/enterprise way. But that could also tell something about the type of users i get to deal with :)
Veeam Certified Engineer
JaySt
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: JaySt

Veeam Logoby ober72 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:26 am

I agree fully with JaySt, it seems people have a hard time understanding this. I keep getting the question, can't it just copy today's backups until finished. Of course the error email also does not help as it seeds panic :)
Geoff Burke
VMCE V9
ober72
Service Provider

Liked: 38 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Veeam Logoby BGA-Robert » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:35 pm

Yes, I'll take the dumbed down version too. Meeting an Enterprise RPO is only one aspect of what's trying to be accomplished with a backup copy job and I'm not always looking to be shoe-horned into this functionality. Lack of flexibility with backup copy scheduling can be very frustrating
BGA-Robert
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Robert Wakefield

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:20 pm

But whatever is the approach, if a backup copy cannot be completed in a given interval, why are you configuring that interval? It will never be completed regardless the software uses xcopy or the native backup copy job... I think you have better chances to complete a copy without raw xcopy that has no data reduction capability. Xcopying daily when the infrastructure only allows you to do it every three days for example, is non-sense to be honest.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1336 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby albertwt » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:28 pm

Gostev wrote:Because it's not just a copy of existing backup files, like xcopy - Backup Copy allows you to pick and choose only selected VMs from different jobs. And "don't stop until everything has been copied" approach is simply not suitable for an enterprise IT that needs to ensure offsite RPOs are met.

That said, I've long wanted to add basic, "dumbed down" mode for Backup Copy jobs that basically repeats xcopy and only copies entire backup files - this will allow some major simplification at the cost of major functionality loss, but it seems that quite some customers just want something simple like this.

Selecting a specific VMs for the Backup Copy job is the nicest thing that I like :D so that I do not have to copy the whole backup job.
--
albertwt
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:12 am 1 person likes this post

Selecting a specific VMs for the Backup Copy job is the nicest thing that I like :D so that I do not have to copy the whole backup job.

Thinking aloud - with dumbed down mode (assuming we had one), it would be only possible if you're utilizing per-VM chains. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:24 pm 1 person likes this post

Thinking aloud - which you should anyway, as there are really not that many reasons to keep using the monolithic files :)
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1336 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication