Exchange 2010 DAG backup ?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Exchange 2013 DAG backup

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:29 pm

Hi,

Have you seen this thread, its related to Exchange 2010 DAG backup, however all the advises remain valid. Thanks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 433 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Exchange 2013 DAG backup

Veeam Logoby conextra » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:39 pm

hi,

this is all about backup. i can backup both nodes in a lab succesful - there is no database switchover during snapshot creation and deletion. my unsecureness is, what happens in a Desaster Scenario, when i recover just one node, either active or passive. i am not sure, if this works (indeed i am doing application Aware backups).
i know, the Option with recovery Switch during exchang install, but i want to avoid this, since i Need to build a complete Server first, with all Patches, ... it would be much more efficient, if i can just recover the broken node with Veeam and then power it on.
conextra
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: conextra GmbH

[MERGED] Exchange 2010: Backup DAG passive node

Veeam Logoby pronto » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:23 am

Hi Community,

we are planning to migrate from an Exchange 2010 single server setup to a two server active/passive DAG environment (Exchange 2010). Both on vSphere 5.1 hosts. We are in touch with an engineer of our service partner for Exchange and he want to know if Veeam Backup & Replication can process an incremental backup of the passive node?

I read already the KB article https://www.veeam.com/blog/how-to-backup-exchange-database-availability-groups-dags-with-veeam-backup-replication.html and learned that Veeam can do a backup of the passive node but I didn't found any hint if it works with incremental backups on the passive node also.

I'm not aware how a DAG works in detail right now but please allow the question if the behavior of incremental backups changed in a DAG environment compared to a single server setup? Normally an incremental backup deals with the transaction logs and should be no problem if the copy of the database is in use or not but this question let me took notice that this behavior could be changed in a DAG environment, especially on the passive node.

We have a meeting today with the service partner and it would be great if I could answer his question.

Thanks in advance & Bye Tom
pronto
Influencer

Re: Exchange 2010: Backup DAG passive node

Veeam Logoby vmniels » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:26 am

This depends on the backup job configuration but if you use incremental backups (forever forward incremental or incremental with synthetic full) and disable active full backups we will only make 1 active full backups (first time we backup the machine) and from there on only incrementals. So the answer to your question in short is: yes it is possible to do this.

Some additional tips & tricks: https://www.veeam.com/kb1744
And the following blog post by one of our solution architects: http://andyandthevms.com/exchange-dag-v ... plication/
VCP-DCV
Veeam Certified Engineer
http://foonet.be
vmniels
Veeam Software

Liked: 322 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

[MERGED] Not confident to enable Exchange truncation with da

Veeam Logoby Guido » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:57 am

Hello

We are doing backups of 2 Exchange 2010 servers fine for a long time. The VSS application-aware processing is on.
The truncate was done by another backup product (HPE DP). Now we want to enable the truncation in Veeam.
Do I have to enable the truncation on both servers within the backup job?

Thank you
Guido
Influencer

Full Name: Guido

Re: Not confident to enable Exchange truncation with dag

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:39 am

Hi Guido,

You can enable truncation on the passive Database and it will be replicating to the second node through DAG.
For additional information, review this thread above.

Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 38 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Exchange 2010 DAG backup ?

Veeam Logoby Guido » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Thank you DGrinev for merging my post into a this large threat with 5 pages.

So I can enable it on the passive Database. But I think you mean that I can enable it on the server running the passive database.
The question was if I have to enable truncation on both dag servers within the job. Is you answer a NO?
Guido
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:25 pm

You should truncate logs on both DAG members. Yes, truncation is replicated to the other node, but this replication is done by exchange after the backup job, so you do not have any monitoring of this process within Veeam.
When you enable it on both sides, it is done for sure and you have the feedback in the job if it didn´t ran well.

So for both Servers:
- Enable Veeam IngUest processing. Enable "Require successful process (recommended)" and "process transaction logs with this job (recommended)"
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/ ... ob_vss.png

Increase Cluster Heart beat if not done:
http://andyandthevms.com/exchange-dag-v ... plication/
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Liked: 350 times
Full Name: @AndyandtheVMs Veeam PM

Veeam Logoby Guido » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:08 pm

Thank you Andreas
Your answered my question.
Guido
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:13 pm 1 person likes this post

I got a PM that this topic is all about passive only backup.

Logfile Truncation get´s replicated within the Exchange cluster in any way if you backup one or multiple DAG members.

When you have the chance, you should backup all DAG members including Logfile Truncation at all of them.

When you want to backup only one DAG member (with all databases) then you need to enable Logfile Truncation there. As the DAG based Logfile Truncation replication runs our of Veeam control, you should monitor this process (Windows Event IDs) to avoid situations when the replication had an error and you server will fill the Logfile disk 100% => Exchange down.
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

[MERGED] : exchange 2010 dag

Veeam Logoby leithm » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:57 pm

hi,

i have 3 dag members. two of which i want to back up in the same job. when i add 2 dag nodes to a job one will always fail. checking event logs on the server indicates that vss failed due to one of the databases already being backed up (by the veeam job). for some reason i thought veeam would of handled this automatically.

active databases are split across the 2 nodes i wish to back up. application aware processing enabled, truncate logs enabled for both vms.

any advise would be greatly appreciated

cheers
leithm
Service Provider

Full Name: Leith Magon

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:14 am

What particular error did you get? What AAIP settings are specified for those VMs?
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 949 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby leithm » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Just the default settings under AAIP indicating that VSS must complete successfully and to truncate logs. this was based on the recommendation above

'When you have the chance, you should backup all DAG members including Logfile Truncation at all of them.'

error was vss failed at prepare snapshot. according to the application logs on the server vss failed due to the database already being backed up on the other server. basically..veeam tried to simultaneously back up the same databases
leithm
Service Provider

Full Name: Leith Magon

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:12 pm

that should not be a problem at all. Do you use Circular Logging ?
What Microsoft event ID do you see ?
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Truncate Exchange log file?

Veeam Logoby toa1970 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi,

Setup: Two Exchange mailbox servers. One with all active mailboxes and one with all passive mailboxes. Exchange version is 2010 with all updates on Server 2008R2 with all updates. Within 3 months it's Exchange 2016 on Server 2016 - Veeam backup is version 9.5.0.823

Question: Let's say that Veeam backup the passive Exchange server only. How to truncate Exchange log file on the active Exchange server after backup? Can Veeam after a backup on the passive Exchange server truncate log file on the active Exchange server? Or is best practice to backup the active Exchange server? Or another solution?
toa1970
Influencer

Full Name: Torben Andersen

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication