Exhange OS Only Backup

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Exhange OS Only Backup

Veeam Logoby mwoolfenden » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Hello,

I'm looking at the best way to backup an Exchange 2013 DAG, we have a single DAG split over two datacentres, active copies of all the databases in primary, passive copies on Exchange servers in secondary, which is where our repository is located.

The obvious initial part is to backup the passive database copies en masse at regular intervals, however I have a query about the best way to get only the OS and system state of the active servers such that we're not dragging a second copy of the DBs over the WAN on each backup.

Would I be correct in assuming it is as simple as doing an application consistent backup of the active servers but setting the exclusions in the backup job to only backup disk 0:0 or is it more complex than this? I've been having trouble locating any documentation that disucsses the best way to make sure you are backing up the 'other' servers in the DAG for which you already have database copies backed up.

Many Thanks,
mwoolfenden
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Marc Woolfenden

Re: Exhange OS Only Backup

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi,

The method of excluding disk 0:0 should work fine. Also there is another way to avoid database file transfer - try to use VM Guest OS File Exclusion.

Thanks you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 246 times

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication