Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JPMS
Expert
Liked: 31 times

Feature Request - More Scheduling Options

Post by JPMS »

It may be that there is a way to achieve what I want but I haven't found it!

We run backup jobs once a day and tape backups of those jobs once a week. I want the tape job to start after the last backup job on a Saturday but if I set the job to run 'After this job' then it runs every day. What I would like is the option to run 'After this job' with a further option of 'On these days' as you have with some scheduling options.

Am I missing something? Is there already a way to achieve this?

Also, is there any reason you can't schedule a surebackup job as an 'After this job'?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Feature Request - More Scheduling Options

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

You can always disable tape job and add a post-job powershell script to the main backup job(under Storage-Advanced-Scripts) that will check if it is Saturday today and run tape backup if it is so.
$TapeJob = Get-VBRTapeJob -name "Name of your Tape Job"
Start-VBRJob –Job $TapeJob

As for the SureBackup, it can be linked to the backup jobs to run automatically. "After This Job" is there on SureBackup scheduling page.
/Thanks!
JPMS
Expert

Post by JPMS » 1 person likes this post

I hadn't considered the powershell option as its not something I usually use. Should certainly work and is better than the other options I have considered.

If you run a job via powershell do the linked jobs that follow still run?
As for the SureBackup, it can be linked to the backup jobs to run automatically. "After This Job" is there on SureBackup scheduling page.
You've misunderstood my question, I'm not trying to run a SureBackup job after another job. I'm trying to schedule a job to run after a Surebackup job but Surebackup jobs don't appear as selectable options in the 'After this job' drop down. I can't even use powershell as there is no option to run a post-job powershell script.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Speaking about PowerShell, you will only need to run two commands in required order:

* Start-VBRJob (cmdlet that starts backup job)
* Start-VSBJob (cmdlet that starts backup job)

Then, you can schedule this simple script in via Windows Scheduler to run at whatever schedule you'd like to.

Thanks!
JPMS
Expert

Post by JPMS » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Egor and Veremin.

Well you reluctantly pushed me down the powershell route. It's very simple if you know what you are doing but as I don't it took much longer than it should have done but it does exactly what I want now and I'm in a better position if I want to explore other powershell solutions.

The GUI doesn't really let you chain daily jobs with weekly jobs (hence my feature request) so I used Egor's suggestion and used the facility to run a script 'After the job', set my powershell script to run after the final daily job and selected for it only to run on Saturday.

Doesn't explain why you can't choose a surebackup back when selecting "After this job" but that's a different issue.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Doesn't explain why you can't choose a surebackup back when selecting "After this job" but that's a different issue.
There's a dedicated thread regarding that request. Thanks!
JPMS
Expert

Post by JPMS »

Thanks for the heads up foggy. It wasn't the primary subject of my post so I hadn't searched for related posts.