GFS Retention Policy

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: GFS Retention Policy

Veeam Logoby aquegles » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:47 pm

Hello again friends.

After 20 days of setting the backup copy job, it has not presented problemas.

However, i cant see the weekly backups, and i´m wondering if i have something wrong with the configuration.

My gfs retention policy is : 30 restore points to keep, 4 weekly backups, 12 monthly backups, and 1 yearly backup.

But when i check the files of the bakcup copy job, i see only one full backup, and the rest incremental backups.

The weekly backups have a different extension, or maybe some of the incremental are the weekly backups? How can i know which files are the weekly backups?

Thanks a lot!
aquegles
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Alejandro Quegles

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi Alejandro,

You will have to wait, until the latest restore point (full backup) will reach the day specified for GFS restore point creation. Kindly, check the corresponding section of our User Guide; should clarify the situation for you.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby aquegles » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:07 pm

Eremin, thanks for the response. I still don't understand how this works...

My regular backup is incremental with synthetic fulls and transformig previous fulls to rollbacks.
And my GFS retention is set to create weekly backups every sunday at 10 am.

Shouldn't already exist some weekly backups? since the backup copy job have been running for the last 20 days..

Thanks!
aquegles
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:24 pm

Keep in mind that GFS restore points are created from the oldest restore point in backup copy job chain (full backup, .vbk). In other words, once the specified retention is reached (in your case it's 30), the full backup will start moving forward. That's process is called transformation. When the full backup reaches the day specified for GFS restore point creation, the GFS point will be created out of it.

Thus, you should wait first - till there are 30 points in backup copy job chain, and second - till the time the full backup is moved to the corresponding day.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby aquegles » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:40 pm

Thanks again Eremin!

So, i need to wait 'till the backups reach 30 restore points.

When it gets there, it will create the weekly backups and the monthly backup? Because of my configuration..

Thanks!
aquegles
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:49 am

When it gets there, you need to wait until the full backup moves onto the Sunday, then the next day the weekly backup will be created based on this Sunday's full. The same scheme applies to the monthly points - it will be created the next day the full backup reaches the day specified for the monthly backup.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1079 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby aquegles » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:14 pm

Ok, now i understand. Yet, i have one doubt :

This monthly backup will contain all the restore points i kept from the past month (30 in total)?
aquegles
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:16 pm

This monthly backup will contain a single restore point as of the day it was created.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby aquegles » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:43 pm

Ok, so it's not useful for my historical backups, because i need to keep 6 months of historical backups for my vm..

I will have to make backup copies and manually transfer them to tape or another storage...
aquegles
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:48 pm

If you need to keep 6 months of daily backups, then you have to set the corresponding regular retention setting (180 restore points) or offload them periodically.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby aquegles » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Ok Foggy, thanks a lot!!!!!!!
aquegles
Enthusiast

[MERGED] GFS does not create Full Backups for archival

Veeam Logoby tfloor » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:28 am

Hi,

I'm using backup copy with GFS.
Using the following settings:

Copy every day starting at 04:00
Restore points to keep: 720
Keep the following restore points for archival purposes
- weekly 0
- monthly 0
- quarterly 4
- yearly 1

I'm now running the job since 4 july and i still see only the first full (4 july) and until today only increments.
So i expect to see a full backup somewhere in the time. But not.

Do i miss something?
Thanks
tfloor
Expert

Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Tristan Floor

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:55 am

Tristan, you need to wait until the full backup reaches the day specified for GFS restore point creation. Quarterly full will be created right on the next day. Please see the corresponding user guide section for details.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tfloor » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:58 pm

I thought i have waited long enough.

As the job begin on 4 july, then a quarter later is 5 october (it's set on First sunday of the quarter)... But there was no full... SO when do i expect anything?
ps. is it a quarter from the beginning of the job. Or a quarter from january.... ?
tfloor
Expert

Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Tristan Floor

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:53 pm

You should lower the number of regular restore points to keep. I can hardly explain this better than Vladimir did above for the weekly restore points creation:
v.Eremin wrote:Keep in mind that GFS restore points are created from the oldest restore point in backup copy job chain (full backup, .vbk). In other words, once the specified retention is reached (in your case it's 30), the full backup will start moving forward. That's process is called transformation. When the full backup reaches the day specified for GFS restore point creation, the GFS point will be created out of it.

Thus, you should wait first - till there are 30 points in backup copy job chain, and second - till the time the full backup is moved to the corresponding day.

Currently, the full restore point (the first and oldest restore point in the chain) is dated by July, 4th and you have something like 94 daily restore points on disk. Once you have 720 restore points, it will start moving forward each day. You need to wait until the full backup moves onto the first Sunday of the next quarter, when it is merged with the restore point created on that day. The next day the quarterly restore point will be created.
foggy
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication