Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Ripstorm
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John Doe

How do I get current Veeam version data remotely?

Post by Ripstorm »

Hi All,

I'm currently looking for a way to return Veeam version and hotfix info via powershell.
The script will run on a Hybrid worker, so not from the Veeam Backup & replication server itself. I also want to avoid doing any 'Enter-pssession' logic.

The idea is to create one script that can be run against multiple different customers and just change certain params, therefore I was thinking of going the API route, but it appears that Backup server info via RestAPI was only introduced in V12 (most customers are currently running V11).

I know there are ways where you can get the version info directly from some of the DLL's (get-item on Veeam.Backup.Core.dll as an example), but that solution is not really scalable.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to get the version info via the V11 powershell modules? Can the powershell modules be run remotely (ie: from a hybrid worker in the domain)?

Thanks in advance
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2430 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: How do I get current Veeam version data remotely?

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Ripstorm

Welcome to the forum.

I recommend you to use our Veeam Service Provider Console.
It's a free product for every service provider. You can list all managed backups server and their installed version:

Getting a specific hotfix version is more difficult. It can be any file (exe, dll, ...). I don't believe that we have an API which reports on every installed hotfix. Why do you need to know the installed hotfix for such environment? Most likely Hotfixes will be replaced by an upgrade if there is a newer version of the specific file.

Please also register yourself as a service provider to gain access to our dedicated sub forum where such topics are discussed:
veeam-backup-replication-f2/applying-to ... 55488.html

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Ripstorm
Novice

Post by Ripstorm »

Thanks for the response Fabian.

We want to automate our compliance reports across all technologies, not just Veeam. At the moment this is done manually on a monthly basis which is just not practical.

It does, however, seem to be possible with V12 RestAPI (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120).
Unfortunately most of our customers are on V11
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2430 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

If you use the Service Provider Console (VSPC), you can get this version information also over RestAPI. If you use the VSPC 7.0, Customer can be on V10a, V11, V11a or V12.
Additionally it also provides you other capabilities like creating a RPO/SLA reports for the backups of all customers which is maybe also useful for your compliance reporting.
Your clients VBR server will connect to the VSPC over a Veeam Cloud Connect Gateway. An encrypted connection without the need of a VPN. You only have to run your REST API scripts for Veeam on a single endpoint, the VSPC Rest API. Without VSPC, you will have to run it against each customer.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vac/r ... kupServers

Code: Select all

{
   "instanceUid": "e48b073a-cf2e-42d2-bf3d-3eb8d2c32429",
   "name": "R2THIRDVBR",
   "organizationUid": "0a093973-274b-4df8-83e2-1316dee0c9a9",
   "locationUid": "a78739a8-63b4-453e-90b7-45d2340a74f8",
   "managementAgentUid": "5f24ce78-d787-48cc-a308-ab5c39eaeea7",
   "version": "11.0.0.837",
   "displayVersion": "11.0.0.837 P20210507",
   "installationUid": "8030b579-c109-4787-aaca-61a7b3d2546a",
   "backupServerRoleType": "Client",
   "status": "Healthy"
}
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Ripstorm
Novice

Post by Ripstorm »

I didnt know this was possible. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Fabian!