Availability for the Always-On Enterprise
andyg
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andy Goldschmidt

[MERGED] : feature request - offline compacting/defrag

Post by andyg » Feb 01, 2017 5:13 pm 1 person likes this post

feature request - offline compacting

It would be great if we could schedule the Defrag/compacting of a job outside the backup window. Our backup storage is slow, so the compacting really hurts backup performance (lots of reading and writting to make new VBK file) and also make other jobs run longer due to high IO on backup storage. It could easily be run outside the backup window and not impact backups. I realise this will also mean higher storage requirements.

I realise Win 2016 and ReFS will mostly nullify this request (Fast clone etc)
-= VMCE v9 certified =-

RGijsen
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

[MERGED] Possible feature request - Health check AFTER copy

Post by RGijsen » Mar 30, 2017 10:16 am

Hi,
maybe this is related slightly to vmware-vsphere-f24/health-check-on-copy ... 22409.html.

Since we moved our remote-backup to ReFS we get quite good data reduction and we are rather pleased with it! But of course the previously sequential data now gets more and more fragmented on the disk because of the block-cloning. While we have a dedicated SAN on the main site, the remote site has to do with a rather simple Synology 1524 NAS, with only a 1GB conenction in our setup and a bunch of relatively slow 5400RPM 2TB spindles. We now do a weekly health-check on our jobs, spread out over as many days as we have jobs, so only one job does health check on a given day, to prevent the IO from filling up. Still it takes a bit longer than I'd like. As health-check runs BEFORE the actual copy-job, and the amount of data growing, in our setup that means the health check sometimes runs for several hours.

Wouldn't it be nice to first do the copy-job and THEN do the health-check? I think Veeams primary job is to get the data in a safe place as quickly as possible. Given that TCP SHOULD cover for transmission errors, it's rather unlike that corruption would occur often anyway. And even if errors were found, which I've never seen in our setup so far, the regular repair-functionality could kick in.

RGijsen
Enthusiast

Re: Possible feature request - Health check AFTER copy job

Post by RGijsen » Jul 29, 2017 2:36 pm

It's about 4 months, no reply. The request still applies though. I should place requests here, right?

ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 23 times

Post by ferrus » Jul 31, 2017 8:32 am

+1 here.
As a poster on the original thread, we've had to abandon health checks because of the performance, but better scheduling could help.
There are many admin tasks that I believe would be better run concurrently to other jobs, rather than preventing them from starting. Merges, Compacts, Health Checks.

Having Health Checks that are restart-able between backups - rather than disrupt them, would be great (although I imagine this would be tricky if the parent job uses merges).

Fredo
Novice
Full Name: Fred O.

[MERGED] Feature request - run health check as a separate jo

Post by Fredo » Sep 08, 2017 8:25 am 1 person likes this post

I have a feature request: we want to be able to schedule the health check as a separate job.
We monthly perform a backup files health check (we have 19 disk backup jobs).
It looks like, the health check is slowing down our GFS tape backup.
It would be convenient if we can create separate health check jobs and be able to schedule the exact starting moment.

PTide
Veeam Software
Liked: 374 times

Re: Feature request - run health check as a separate job

Post by PTide » Sep 08, 2017 9:37 am 1 person likes this post

Hi,

You feature request is noted. For now you might want to use this script to perform validation of your backups separately from the backup job.

Thanks

RGijsen
Enthusiast

Post by RGijsen » Sep 25, 2017 12:41 pm

Could anyone from Veeam reply, or tell me where to properly raise a feature request?

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1399 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Manual health check?

Post by foggy » Sep 26, 2017 9:32 pm

You've already done this by posting your suggestion on forums.

LarsWulf
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Lars Wulf

[MERGED] Manual / adhoc Compact and Defrag

Post by LarsWulf » Dec 05, 2017 11:16 am

Hi everybody,
I am having the need to compact a single VM (using per VM Backup Files) out of a job with multiple VMs.
Is there a possibility to do such thing with a powershell script or an application I am missing?
I am think about something like the validator.exe for Backup validation.

If there is no other way to compact & defrag Backupfiles then using the regular maintenance job settings it would be nice to get such option like with the validator.exe or with a dedicated powershell cmdlet.

Regards
Lars

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » Dec 06, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi Lars, please review this thread, discussing similar questions. Thanks.

acatic
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by acatic » Jan 02, 2018 5:48 pm

+1 for being able to manually run health checks/compactions. Our repository craps out with all that IO while backups run as well. I already have my backups running sequentially, one VM at a time - together with Backup Copy and SureBackup. Would loooove to squeeze in health check/compaction during low-IO periods.

reaperhammer
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Will S

Post by reaperhammer » Jan 18, 2018 6:56 pm

+1 for running manual compact jobs on Backup and Backup Copy Jobs, whether its via powershell or the GUI, which ever gets it implemented first would be fine.

billcouper
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Bill Couper

[MERGED] Primary backup job health check

Post by billcouper » Jan 31, 2018 8:56 am

Hello!

I am having slow performance of health check, which then causes linked jobs to not process during backup window. The primary backup has completed, but then health check starts, so copy jobs and tape jobs cannot run until it completes.

Is it possible to let health check run simultaneous to copy/tape jobs?

Or, can the health check be moved to a job that ONLY runs health check? That way I could schedule health check to start at 6am and not run during backup window (6pm-6am).

Would the health-check have less work to do if it was scheduled on a day when a synthetic full has been created? Rather than on a day that might include multiple incremental in the chain.
Which Veeam component processes the health check? I have a completely split component architecture with backup servers, proxy servers, repository servers, etc. The repo server has to read the data and transport it to..... which server?

foggy
Veeam Software

Re: [MERGED] Primary backup job health check

Post by foggy » Jan 31, 2018 2:17 pm

billcouper wrote:Is it possible to let health check run simultaneous to copy/tape jobs?

Or, can the health check be moved to a job that ONLY runs health check?
This is not possible.
billcouper wrote:Would the health-check have less work to do if it was scheduled on a day when a synthetic full has been created? Rather than on a day that might include multiple incremental in the chain.
No, it would still need to calculate checksums for all the blocks in the latest restore point.
billcouper wrote:Which Veeam component processes the health check? I have a completely split component architecture with backup servers, proxy servers, repository servers, etc. The repo server has to read the data and transport it to..... which server?
Health check is performed by the data mover installed on the repository server (or the gateway, in case of CIFS or dedupe type repository).

owen.wright
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Owen Wright

Post by owen.wright » Feb 07, 2018 12:18 pm

+1 for scheduling compacting as a seperate job without requiring backups.
I have dozens of customers asking about this...