Manual health check?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Manual health check?

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:28 am

Hi

I had a disk failure on one of my repositories, and this lead to some parity errors on the RAID6 that have now been fixed. I wish to health check all the Copy Jobs that are on it, there's an option to schedule a health check but can I start one manually on each job to check files?

M
lando_uk
Expert

Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Mark

Re: Manual health check?

Veeam Logoby PTide » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:42 am

Hi,

I think you can use either a SureBackup job for that, or Backup Validator. Also please check this thread as guys have written a PS script allowing you to run Validator against all backups.

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 269 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:02 pm

I'd say AND instead of OR here, since Veeam Backup Validator tests whether the backup file itself was modified/corrupted after being created, while SureBackup ensures that VMs in it are actually recoverable.

Scheduling a health check, though, will allow to "fix" (re-transfer from source) the corrupt blocks, if those exist.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1131 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:02 pm

OK thanks. I have now setup regular health checks, and I'll try the validator.

If I only have a few restore points in the copy jobs, will any corruptions end up being removed and overwritten anyway once retentions have been cycled? eg if I have 5 restore points, after 5 days the VBK will basically be totally re-written and new? Or will unchanged blocks still remain in the VBK because copy jobs are like synthetic fulls?
lando_uk
Expert

Veeam Logoby PTide » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:38 pm

If I only have a few restore points in the copy jobs, will any corruptions end up being removed and overwritten anyway once retentions have been cycled? eg if I have 5 restore points, after 5 days the VBK will basically be totally re-written and new? Or will unchanged blocks still remain in the VBK because copy jobs are like synthetic fulls?
That depends. Consider the chain

F - i1 - i2 - i3 - i4 - i5

where F - full containing some corrupted blocks
i(n) - incrementals

If i1 contains newer blocks that overlap their corrupted versions from F then blocks from i1 will replace those from F during the merge. Moreover, in such case you can even restore your VM to points i1, i2, i3, i4, i5 but you cannot restore to F. In case i1 contains no newer version of F's corrupted blocks then merge will not heal F.
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:21 am

Good morning.

I've run validation on one job so far, and one of the VM's is found to be corrupt.

Statistic:
VM count: 26
Incomplete VM count: 0
Failed VM count: 1
Files count: 160
Total size: 4.8 TB

Validation failed.

The following VMs are corrupted:
1. 'XXXXXXX': File "XXXXXX_2-flat.vmdk" is corrupted. RLE decompression error:
[904352] bytes decoded to [972757] instead of [1048576].

Rather than delete the whole VBK from disk and reseed all of them, can I just delete this single VM?

Thanks
lando_uk
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:35 am

You can expand this backup (under Backups node), right-click this particular VM and select Remove from disk command. Corresponding VBK file blocks will be marked as free and will be re-used by the job in future. Full data for this VM will be re-transferred during the next job cycle.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:40 am

However, re-scheduling the health check so that it occurs during the next cycle looks more optimal, since only blocks to replace the corrupt ones will be sent in this case.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:56 am

Also there is an option "Remove deleted VMs data from backup after X days" in "Backup copy job" settings.
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:00 pm

A question, does Validation tasks use up repository disk space when they are running, does each VM get extracted somewhere to test ?
lando_uk
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:03 pm

Additional space is not required.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Repository crash, how to check backup files

Veeam Logoby Moebius » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:55 am

The backup primary repository (local disk, 38 TB) crashed due to a RAID problem and is being rebuilt.
Now chkdsk of the volume is showing several errors (corrupt attribute records, file record segments orphaned). I haven't run chkdsk /f yet but will do as soon as the rebuild completes.

On the volume there are many backup file chains, mostly from backup jobs and some from a remote backup copy job.
I was wondering what is the best method to check if the files are still good. Is Veeam Backup Validator a valid tool in this case? And, would a surebackup job make the validator check redundant or would it be better to run both when possible?
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi,

Your post has been merged - please see the discussion above.

P.S.
foggy wrote:SureBackup job always fires up VMs both in application group and from the linked backup jobs from the latest restore point. The only option you have here is to specify the date to start the whole SureBackup environment closer to: right-click the job, select Start To in the short-cut menu, and select the desired date and time.

So if you want to verify every backup in the chain then I think that would be better to use the approach described in this thread.

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Moebius » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:45 pm

Not sure what you mean with "schedule health checks". I know it's possible with backup copy jobs, but what about regular backup jobs? Is this what the "Integrity" check box under Storage->Advanced->Advanced does?
I understand this check is different from what the Validator does?
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:52 pm

I know it's possible with backup copy jobs, but what about regular backup jobs?
Yes, that's possible with powershell script.

I understand this check is different from what the Validator does?
Correct. The integrity check verifies only storage metadata in the backup file while backup validator can be used to check a backup after some consistency problems on the storage.
PTide
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication