Availability for the Always-On Enterprise
Avi Milbaum
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Avi Milbaum

[MERGED] Maintenance Task in a separate schedule

Post by Avi Milbaum » Mar 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Hello

Running the jobs one after the other is problematic because I have quite a few jobs on a daily and weekly basis.
The maintenance process greatly changes the timing.
It is very important to have the possibility of running maintenance separately, not in the backup frame

This way I can run the maintenance in the middle of the day and does not conflict with backup jobs

Thanks
Avi

Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software
Liked: 1297 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature Request - Maintenance Task in a separate schedul

Post by Vitaliy S. » Mar 21, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi Avi,

Can you please clarify what maintenance task are you referring to? Do you possibly talk about this functionality? Does enabling maintenance tasks greatly increase job duration? If yes, what are your jobs bottleneck stats?

Thanks!

RGijsen
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Re: Manual health check?

Post by RGijsen » May 27, 2018 8:01 am

Hi,
what's the status on this? Now we moved to ReFS, and over time out volumes obviously get more and more fragmented because of the block-cloning, health checking gets a bigger problem every time we run it. I'd really like to FIRST do the backup, and then the health check, rather than the other way around. For our fileservers for example, we schedule that at 0:00 AM at night. So that backup is usually done between 0:00 and 1:00. However when healthcheck runs first, it's done literally any point in the day, which actually makes us breach our SLA in which we commit to doing backups between 0:00am and 6:00am.

We are using a dedicated 8Gbps SAN with enough spindles to make it fast, but still these health checks are a real pain in the .... Our SAN's do media scrubbing by them selves, so I'm not even sure if I really need these Veeam checks, but it's a very safe idea of course. So please, what's the status / roughly ETA of this request?

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1380 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » May 30, 2018 4:30 pm

Are you talking about backup copy? Since for regular backups, health check is performed at the end of the job.

RGijsen
Enthusiast

Post by RGijsen » Jun 04, 2018 7:12 am

That's for copies indeed. I lately was in the understanding that regular backup jobs behaved the same with health checks, but it turns out that was the extreme ReFS slowdown as of lately that 'hung' the jobs for too long, confusing me. But indeed, this is for copies, and that's what we've asked before and 'was put in a request'. Howeve I've never heard from it before. Currently, due to the health checks, and probably because of the slow ReFS, when a copy job triggers the health check, chances are big that the copy job just doesn't make it in time. I'd rather have the copy be done first, and then the health check, regardless of how quick a health check can or should be. I think it's better to have the data copied as soon as possible. The chances of data actually being corrupted is pretty small anyway, and missing a copy in the chain is not cool.

[edit]
Maybe it's nice to have a choice, some people might want the check BEFORE the copy, some might want it AFTER the copy. Or, as I've read somewhere is being worked on, Veeam should make the health checks as a job, so we can schedule them to run after a certain job.

RGijsen
Enthusiast

Post by RGijsen » Jun 06, 2018 7:31 am

I now remember what another issue was, as it occured today again. We've set our jobs to run after each other. But the first job got its health check today. So first the backup runs, then the health check for about 8 hours, and only when THAT'S finished, the copy job of the first job starts, as well as the backup jobs scheduled to run after the first.
To work around that I've now configured the jobs to run as 0:00, 0:02, 0:04 and so on, so they don't have to wait on each other, but just wait for free resources. Still, again, I'd really like to see more options here. Having to wait for health check before getting the copy to offsite is a no-go in my opinion.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1380 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Jun 07, 2018 5:04 pm

RGijsen wrote:To work around that I've now configured the jobs to run as 0:00, 0:02, 0:04 and so on, so they don't have to wait on each other, but just wait for free resources.
And this is the recommended approach anyway. Jobs chaining is not the best practice.

CPCaveman
Lurker
Full Name: Christopher Puddy

Post by CPCaveman » Jul 09, 2018 10:35 am

+1 for this request, it would be useful to process such tasks as this and others outside of the time for backups, regardless of normal backup or BCJ.
The more flexibility to schedule the individual tasks at the appropriate times or orders the easier it is for people to ensure the workloads on the servers are balanced and completed on time.

The Online (SLA tied, generally backups/off-siting) processes should be able to be split from the "offline, Non SLA" tasks, these "offline" tasks which involve just the backup infrastructure (health checks, synthetics Tranforms, etc) should be a separate task or at the very least an option to make it fully configurable when required.

Fredo
Novice
Full Name: Fred O.

Post by Fredo » Oct 08, 2018 2:47 pm

+1 for this request. I made my request already in September 2017, but it would still be very helpful if health checks could be scheduled to run on their own (and not bound to backup jobs).

Avi Milbaum
Novice
Full Name: Avi Milbaum

Post by Avi Milbaum » Oct 16, 2018 8:37 am

The separation between jobs and maintenance will allow for example to run the maintenance on the weekend or in the morning not during the backup time.

Voiper
Lurker
Full Name: Voiper Guy

Post by Voiper » Oct 22, 2018 6:50 am

+1 for this request! We also want to run health-checks when backup and backup copy jobs are done. I mean periods of low activity. Hope this can be implemented soon!