NFS client possible on VBR server?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

NFS client possible on VBR server?

Veeam Logoby Matts N » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:36 pm

Hello!
Since storing backups on NFS attached to an ESX server isn't possible with ESXi, I'm looking into options to network attached storage. CIFS is an obvious choice, but is there any way to present an NFS share to a VBR server for storing the backups?

I've read this: Veeam vPower NFS Service same port

So using the Windows Service for NFS is out, since I haven't been able to find a way to not use port 111 for the Windows NFS client.

Should I forget about using an NFS share attached directly to VBR or is there some way around this?

TIA!

// Matts
Matts N
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Matts Nilsson

Re: NFS client possible on VBR server?

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Hi Matts, if you are looking to share some files (such as ISO images) on Veeam Backup server via NFS, then you can simply put the files into vPower NFS root folder (the one you specified during setup). Our NFS server automatically shares out any files located in this folder. Just keep in mind that multiple heavy users accessing those files may affect performance of actual vPower-based functionality (such as in case of actual disaster, when you need to instantly recover a VM). Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2381 times

Veeam Logoby Matts N » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:05 pm

No, sorry that I was a little unclear. I want it the other way around, I want to know if I can use the VBR server as an NFS client to an NFS share on external storage. The goal is to use NFS as the destination for VBR backups, instead of CIFS, if possible, reason being that ESXi isn't supported as destination.

But thanks for a quick response! :)
Matts N
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:08 pm

I think you should be able to use NFS client on Veeam server fine... what you cannot use is NFS server. In other words, there should not be another process listening on NFS ports on Veeam Backup server.

Just try it ;)
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Matts N » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:29 pm

I did try with the Service for Network File System in Windows Server 2008 R2. Problem is, it installs the server part even if I only want to use the client. But I will give it another go and update with result. :)
Matts N
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Yes, you could not use that if it installs server. I was thinking some generic NFS client... but on a second thought, NFS client should still be listening on NFS ports, correct? Then this will not work....
Gostev
Veeam Software

installing services for nfs on virtual win 2008r2 server

Veeam Logoby arsprod » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:00 pm

I'm trying to install the nfs client on the Veeam server, which is a virtual Windows 2008r2 server. It keeps failing and then wants to reboot to uninstall. The only thing on this machine is Veeam. Is there something about Veeam that disables nfs services from running/installing?
arsprod
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Aaron Spiegel

Re: installing services for nfs on virtual win 2008r2 server

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:47 pm

Yes. Veeam B&R v5 installs its own NFS server (vPower NFS). This is what causes your issue, you cannot have both installed at the same time. Thanks.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Re: installing services for nfs on virtual win 2008r2 server

Veeam Logoby arsprod » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:08 pm

does it use same command set as windows? how do I mount an nfs share?
arsprod
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:17 pm

No, it does not use the same commands. But I forgot there is an existing topic talking about the same stuff... I merged the two discussions now. Basically, you can use vPower NFS to share out files, please see my 1st post above. Hope this helps.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby arsprod » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:25 pm

well... what I'm trying to do is backup to an nfs share on a san (same as location of veeam server). How do I know where the original vpower nfs share is (i've slept since then!)?
arsprod
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:33 pm

OK, now that I understand what you are trying to do, this is not possible. Why do you present your SAN as NFS share? Does it perhaps support CIFS, or may be FC or iSCSI (even better)?
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:34 pm

I think this issue here is that even NFS client requires "portmap" service, and Veeam's NFS server already uses this port. You might be able to stop the Veeam Power NFS service to get the "NFS Client" pieces installed, and then see if they'll happen to coexist.

My question, why use NFS instead of CIFS? Just curious.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1787 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby arsprod » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:40 pm

answering both of your questions (and it's the same one), cifs is slower than nfs so I was trying to optimize speed. iscsi won't work because of the 500gb limit. I figured I could just map the nfs share on the veeam server and send my backups there, all on the same nfs share as the veeam server. Always sounds simple?!

Oh, and the other reason is I already copied all my bu files to the nfs share. now starting over with the cifs share!
arsprod
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:40 pm

tsightler wrote:I think this issue here is that even NFS client requires "portmap" service, and Veeam's NFS server already uses this port. You might be able to stop the Veeam Power NFS service to get the "NFS Client" pieces installed, and then see if they'll happen to coexist.

That is correct, this is the reason. Unfortunately, they will not be able to coexist. This will result in chasing conditions during system boot, whichever process "takes" the port first wins. If NFS Client wins, then vPower NFS service will fail to start. There are couple of topics here where product install would fail for this exact reason (Setup was unable to start VeeamNfsSvc service).
Gostev
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication