Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
felix123
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Felix Muster

Problems with Backup Rules

Post by felix123 »

Hello,

I have a problem creating the right settings for our backup scenario.

Plan:

Backup every week Sunday 01:00 full and then incremental every 3 hours.

These backups are to be sent per wan to our backup archive, where at the end of every 4 weeks a full one is to be created from the 4 week backups, which will remain.

This would then be mapped by the GFS ? Does anyone have this in a similar scenario and could show a screenshot of the settings?

Problem is our normal backup. Every day after work a full should be pulled ( that works ) and then written to a removable disk by backup copy job. But he always tries to write a full to the removable disk and then the other days an incremental one. What could I have configured wrong?

Greetings and many thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Problems with Backup Rules

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I understood that you want to copy all backups to the archive site. The Backup Copy Job in immediate mode does that https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

The backup copy job also has GFS settings (just follow the user guide or wizard). Keep in mind: the full backups are not created on the day when you expect it. I recommend the easy way: just let the software do what it does. It works :-)

If you want to know the details: http://rps.dewin.me -> use backup copy job -> check the "manual run" and simulate the whole process. The user guide also describes it https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
Every day after work a full should be pulled ( that works )
how? the backup copy job is "incremental forever" by design. The concept of "full backup" does not exist for the backup copy job.

What is the idea of having multiple full backups on the same disk? It just costs a massive amount of disk space and time.

Best regards,
Hannes
felix123
Novice

Post by felix123 »

Hey thanks for your answer. The manual run sounds good to try it!

the Multiple Full Backups are not on same same Disk.

We have a one backup share for the full on sunday and the incremenatl >>>>> archiv (offside) , that we want when the month is over to build from the restore point a Full (each Month) and stay in the share.

The second Backup:

another Backup share full each time after work >>>>> copy to a change disk ( i force it with Active full Backup periodically )

The copy Backup to the change disk (every DAy change) is the problem. he copy not the last full from the source.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

he copy not the last full from the source.
yes, because the backup copy job does not copy (vbk, vib etc) files... it only copies the relevant part of the backup (incremental forever as I mentioned). because anything else would be a waste of disk space :-)

manual "active full" is possible.
felix123
Novice

Post by felix123 »

okay understand, but how can i automatic for a changedisk copy the full. only manual or script?
felix123
Novice

Post by felix123 »

I wrote me now a powershell script that does the copy to the change disk .
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Backup copy job ]is able to maintain a forever incremental chain on each of the rotated drives. Seems you do not need that and want just a full on each of the drive, this can be achieved by cleaning up the repository prior after the new disk is inserted or prior to the job run. Please review this tread for the hints on how to do that. Thanks!