Veeam Logoby bernardw » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:51 pm

Cool thanks for the update!
bernardw
Influencer

Liked: 4 times

Re: Rotated hard drives support in v8

Veeam Logoby Jamie Pert » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:52 pm

Hello Everyone,

Just so I am telling my client the right thing, can someone confirm whether the issue which Gostev suggests will be addressed in the next version is what I am seeing.

I am using Veeam 8.0.0.2084 to backup my client's production environment via a standard nightly reversed incremental job to a local iSCSI LUN (located on a Synology NAS). I then have 5 x 2TB USB 3.0 disks which are plugged into the USB 3.0 port on the synology and then published on \\dsnname\usbshare1, when disks are rotated it once more shows up as the same share.

The issue I am seeing is that the retention policy doesn't kick in, I have the correct settings in the repository config - but slowly the USB disks are filling up, the job is set to keep 2 retention points. I look and there is one .vbm file and on each backup occurrence there is a *.vbk and a *.vib file. At present the disk I am looking at 1 .vbm file and approx 6 x vbk and vib files.

I presume the easiest way to tackle this is to just manually delete these seemingly orphaned *.vbk and *.vib files which fall outside their retention period?

Regards,

Jamie Pert
@jam1epert on Twitter
Jamie Pert
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jamie Pert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:39 am

Jamie, could you please clarify, you're doing backup copy to these rotated disks and the repository is exposed as CIFS share, right? Please keep in mind that retention on rotated drives works in case of Windows repository only.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Jamie Pert » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:35 am

Oh I didn't know retention didn't work on CIFS share. Sorted with a synology triggered script :)
@jam1epert on Twitter
Jamie Pert
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jamie Pert

Veeam Logoby resruss » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:18 am 1 person likes this post

Jamie Pert wrote:Oh I didn't know retention didn't work on CIFS share.

So we've finally taken the bold step of migrating away from robocopy as a post-job script to Backup Copy jobs to CIFS and hit the same retention issue.
I understand that it's be design, but has anyone got a decent post-job action we can take.
From what I understand, Veeam purges all references to the previous backup chain when the media is rotated, so we can't query the database and delete items from disk.

Our design is:
1 VBR with a single dedicated CIFS NAS as the primary repository (I know it's not perfect).
2 rotatable NAS with the same IP and UNC path marked as rotatable media in Veeam.

We can't be the only people doing this, how does everyone else handle this?
resruss
Service Provider

Liked: 6 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:07 am

What kind of post-job action do you need? Please note that rotated drive cleanup is available via the registry value.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby resruss » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:38 am

So the post-script action we want is retention, as we've got 3 VBKs and a few VIBs on each NAS at the moment, which we're retentioning manually.

I looked at the registry key ForceDeleteBackupFiles, but saw that it's no longer needed in Veeam 8 and above (according to https://www.veeam.com/kb1154)

Am I mistaken, is the key still useful or is there another way to retention via a post-script?
resruss
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:48 am

Am I mistaken, is the key still useful or is there another way to retention via a post-script?

It depends on your requirements.

As stated in the referenced thread, the said key removes everything it finds in the job folder on newly-inserted drive, while corresponding GUI option (Rotated drive) does that only for backup files falling out of the specified retention.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1026 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby resruss » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:50 am

Thanks v.Eremin,

Our requirements are to preserve the current backup chain only.
We tested that ForceDeleteBackupFiles with DWORD 3 and found that once we enabled our Backup Copy job it just left the VBM file.
We've since removed the registry key and rebooted.

To be more precise about our retention needs:
So what we noticed before we added the registry key is that the Backup Copy Job was set to:
- Forever Forward Incremental (no synthetic fulls created)
- Restore points was set to 4
At any point there was 2 - 4 VBK files and 3 VIBs between each chain, which I would expect
We're looking for a way to remove the old chains once the new one is created, retaining just a single copy of the VBK and VIB

Is there any way to achieve this on CIFS, even a clever post job script would be great.
Ideally, what we'd be after is if the backup chain no longer exists in the Veeam catalog, remove it from disk, but I'm not sure if this is possible in PowerShell, or too dangerous to do.

So figured I'd post here and see what solutions others have come up with in this situation.
resruss
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:40 am

You can create a script that would remove all backups older than the most recent full.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby resruss » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:32 am

Yep, that's what I'm after, not sure how to start that though, which is why I'm posting here.
I want to keep the most recent VBK and subsequent VIBs but remove everything else.

Anyone got a sample / something similar to the above.
resruss
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:11 am

You can ask for assistance with that in the PowerShell subforum.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Rotated Drives Retention

Veeam Logoby JeremyWJ » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:54 pm

Is it possible to retain a set number of restore points on each drive with a copy job using rotated drives?

It appears I can only keep a set number across all drives.
JeremyWJ
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:08 pm

Provided the repository is a Windows server, backup copy job should maintain the configured number of restore points on each drive.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JeremyWJ » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:19 pm

The problem I'm having is the job is creating full copy jobs on the drives when I switch them. It is not continuing the chain currently on the drive with a new incremental. The result is the job takes 5 days to complete instead of a couple hours. I assumed this is due to the retention, but I'm not sure. I had the retention set to 2.

I have 5 drives, one for each weekday. If I leave say "Monday" in there for a few days it will do an incremental on it everyday just fine. Then when I put in "Tuesday" it will want to do a full again despite there already being a full backup there. Then when I switch back to "Monday" it start a new full backup on that drive as well, despite doing incrementals just fine before I rotated back to it.
JeremyWJ
Novice

Liked: never

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication