Run time linux proxy server

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Run time linux proxy server

Veeam Logoby NightBird » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:39 am

Network mode and no CBT... :'( so all Windows VM are not eligible to act as a proxy
NightBird
Service Provider

Liked: 20 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:44 am

If this proxy isn't used as a Hot Add proxy, you can explicitly set Network mode, and manually enable CBT on this proxy server. This way, proxy server will backup itself, using CBT mechanism.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1002 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby vanbeek » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:13 pm

And just a Linux destination "proxy" is that an option.

Like now veeam uses a Perl script for querying the linux file information of a linux server, but is still copying all data trough the backup proxy.
Making a job copy data directly to a repository shouldn't be that difficult.

Then all "stupid" linux based storage devices can be used as a nice NAS setup. without bringing the network to a hold because all data has to go over it twice.

Network resources are a far better reason then windows licenses to request for Linux proxy's in my opinion.
vanbeek
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Peet Klomp

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:38 pm

anbeek wrote:Then all "stupid" linux based storage devices can be used as a nice NAS setup. without bringing the network to a hold because all data has to go over it twice.

Do you mean combining proxy and repository roles on these NAS devices?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:51 pm

These devices typically lack CPU power to be used as backup proxies.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2379 times

Veeam Logoby ritontor » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:00 am 1 person likes this post

Wait, so I have to buy additional windows licenses, just to run offsite backup proxies? I don't have any "existing Windows VMs", the ONLY windows box we even have is for vSphere and the Veeam server. Why isn't this mentioned up front when purchasing the product? I'm sure if you were buying a backup product and you were going to be slugged another $1000 each time you add a new remote location, you'd want to know about it too. This more than DOUBLES the cost of a Veeam license!
ritontor
Lurker

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:28 am

Why $1000? We support pretty much every existing Windows version, and every edition. You definitely don't have to buy the most expensive one :D as far as mentioning Windows requirement up front, we do have fully documented System Requirements.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2379 times

Veeam Logoby flongin » Tue May 26, 2015 3:25 pm 1 person likes this post

No news for a linux proxy server or appliance ?
flongin
Lurker

Full Name: francois Longin

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed May 27, 2015 1:57 pm

No such plans currently.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] Linux PROXY

Veeam Logoby dbazan » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:53 pm 1 person likes this post

We need a proxy Linux appliance, it is a waste to use a windows license on this, please create an OVA but make sure VM Tools is also installed
while you at it, how about making B&R linux based too and use PostgreSQL
in other words get rid of windows altogether.

but I will settle with the proxy for now.
anyone else who would like this option?
if so please reply and let's make this happen
dbazan
Lurker

Full Name: Dan Bazan

[MERGED]: Linux backup proxy

Veeam Logoby finaosta » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:29 am 1 person likes this post

The possibility to have a *NIX machine as a backup proxy would be great !!
finaosta
Lurker

Full Name: Roberto Rossi

[MERGED] Feature Request: Linux as a proxy

Veeam Logoby antman157 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:11 pm 1 person likes this post

As we move more virtualized, I would like to see the ability to add Linux as a proxy server. Ive read its best to not use a server that is backed up by Veeam as a proxy, so in my environment that would be 2 Windows 2008R2 servers. We have several Linux servers that are not being backed up by Veeam that we could use as proxy servers. I hate to burn a Windows License just for a proxy server.
antman157
Influencer

Full Name: Anthony Jones

[MERGED] Feature Request: backup proxy on Linux instead of W

Veeam Logoby mikeely » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:40 pm

At nearly a grand per license, adding a proxy is a very expensive proposition for non-Windows shops (in other words, those of us who aren't already paying Microsoft much more money than they're worth). We have need to add a proxy to manage traffic at a remote location and $723 for the OS plus another $200 for a CAL pack... that just stinks frankly.

Given the high level of quality I see in the software Veeam currently ships for Linux it's obvious you have a talented team of Linux coders. Why not put them on this task now? In the aggregate, you'll be saving your customers millions of dollars.
Unless otherwise specified, I am asking about something pertaining to Linux. We use Windows as infrequently as possible, and enthusiastically seek ways to reduce that usage further.
mikeely
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:20 am

Hi Mike, Veeam B&R supports any version of Windows, including client ones, you do not need to buy the expensive server editions.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby mikeely » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:57 pm

foggy wrote:Hi Mike, Veeam B&R supports any version of Windows, including client ones, you do not need to buy the expensive server editions.

Only then we're running mission-critical software on a client operating system which (per Microsoft's SKU shenanigans) means we won't have access to various needed security and availability features.

And it's still Windows, which means it's a Martian in a Linux environment. Martians are expensive to maintain because they have requirements that are incompatible with our existing ecosystem, so the license cost is only a fraction of the TCO for running such a host. A Linux box in a Windows environment will incur the same costs.

At minimum, poll your customers about what they'd like to see in Veeam and see if there's sufficient positive response to a Linux proxy to justify the project before the bean-counters.
Unless otherwise specified, I am asking about something pertaining to Linux. We use Windows as infrequently as possible, and enthusiastically seek ways to reduce that usage further.
mikeely
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication