Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sbbots
Enthusiast
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Matt B

SMTP Notifications not sending - #00434020

Post by sbbots »

Case #00434020

Upon completion of jobs I am not getting notifications by email. Credentials are correct and test emails are sent without problem from options. SMTP relay of email is set correctly on the Exchange server. Notifications worked fine a few days ago with the exact same settings.

The error reported:
"8/23/2013 3:22:26 PM :: Sending email report
Details: Unable to connect to SMTP server because of invalid credentials or connection settings."
sbbots
Enthusiast

Re: SMTP Notifications not sending - #00434020

Post by sbbots »

The other thread about email reports gave me an idea; I disabled the notification setting in the individual backup job and all of a sudden email notifications started working. The job still reports "Unable to connect to SMTP server because of invalid credentials or connection settings.", yet the server is sending notifications.

Could this be a bug that causes the global notification setting to conflict with the individual job notification setting? This is strange because the global setting allows me to set crendentials and it is working, the individual job does not let me set credentials and reports an error. Where is the individual job getting it's credentials from? And why is it reporting an error yet the notifications are working correctly now?

This is what I disabled (unchecked):
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Since tape job does not have its own notification settings, there's a chance that it's "parent" backup job notification settings somehow affect notifications sent by the tape job. Please continue looking into that with our support team.
sbbots
Enthusiast

Post by sbbots »

foggy wrote:Since tape job does not have its own notification settings, there's a chance that it's "parent" backup job notification settings somehow affect notifications sent by the tape job. Please continue looking into that with our support team.
I corrected my post; it was a regular backup job, not a tape job.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I understand that. Still my assumption is that there could be some interference between the backup job notification settings and its linked backup-to-tape job ability to send e-mails (although the latter does not have its own notification settings).
sbbots
Enthusiast

Post by sbbots »

foggy wrote:I understand that. Still my assumption is that there could be some interference between the backup job notification settings and its linked backup-to-tape job ability to send e-mails (although the latter does not have its own notification settings).
There is no backup-to-tape job linked with this job. It is a stand-alone backup job.

I tested it 3 more times and confirmed the behavior;
If I EDIT the job, go to the STORAGE tab on the left, choose ADVANCED, then uncheck (disable) notifications in the NOTIFICATIONS tab, the notifications work fine (and the job still reports an error).
If I check (enable) the same notification setting in the job and set the email address it stops working (and still reports an error).
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Then, kindly keep working with our support team, since this behavior is definitely not expected. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Mmm.. so we are not talking about tape jobs at all here (since you've posted in the Tape subforum and have initially referred to tape jobs, I was sure this is the case)?
sbbots
Enthusiast

Post by sbbots »

foggy wrote:Mmm.. so we are not talking about tape jobs at all here (since you've posted in the Tape subforum and have initially referred to tape jobs, I was sure this is the case)?
I am definitely losing it this week. Can you move it to the regular B&R forum? I am sorry for the confusion.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ok, I've moved the thread to the general Veeam B&R forum. Please continue investigating it with support.
slos
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Steven Los

[Merged] : Noteifications, test message works, job

Post by slos »

Tested clients exchange server, my companies exchange server, my personal exchange server, and gmail.
Can send a test message from all four, run a job with notifications and and I receive the following:

DATE TIME :: Sending email report
Details: Unable to connect to SMTP server because of invalid credentials or connection settings.

This occurs regardless of the smtp server that I am using.
Yes my credentials are correct, I can copy paste around the same item into webmail and auth correctly.
The component where I can send a test message successfully also provides evidence to this.
Anyone with a starting place in mind?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Steven, you post has been merged into existing discussion regarding similar issue. As mentioned above, disabling job notification settings and using global ones, instead, might help. However, this is nothing but a workaround, and I strongly recommend contacting our support team and letting them investigate this behaviour directly.

Thanks.
slos
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Steven Los

Post by slos »

Attempted to use local job notifications prior to my previous post that was merged into this thread. No Dice. 2nd engineer at my company reviewed this today; made it no further than I.
VMCE, MCSE
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Then please let technical support known about this issue, they should be able to help you after reviewing the log files.
Worti
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Rolf_G

[MERGED] Sending E-Mail

Post by Worti »

Hi all

someone a hint why I can send a test message without any problems, but never get an e-mail after the backup job is finished?
The last message in the action tap is Sending email report Details: Unable to connect to SMTP server because of invalid credentials or connection settings.

Regards
Rolf
Worti
Influencer

Re: Sending E-Mail

Post by Worti »

The problem exist on Version 7.0.0.771 and 7.0.0.833 with a Windows 2008R2 Server
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Rolf,

Do you specify email recipient on the global or on per-job basis?

Thank you!
Worti
Influencer

Post by Worti »

Hi Vitaliy

configured on the global E-Mail Settings. If I hit Test Message I get an E-Mail.
2 of 8 Jobs have a second E-Mail notification. But non of the 8 jobs sending an E-Mail

Regards
Rolf
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you please try to play with these settings and specify emails either in global or in the individual job settings?

I have reviewed the existing ticket with a similar issue, but there was no clear solution to the problem, so it might be worth opening a support ticket with our team for further investigation.
Worti
Influencer

Post by Worti »

played around with wireshark and a different mail hoster.
The Backup Server have an Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection. The Intel Driver Version was 11.15.16.0
With Wireshark I get an Internet Protocol Version 4 Header Checksum Error [0x0000 should be 0xdea8]
Then I'm make an update from the Intel driver to version 12.10.28.0, but get the same Error.
After them I changed the E-Mail Hoster and tested again. Same Error. I'm not the Wireshark Guru. Checked Google, ok it's not really a problem the Checksum Error.
Related to the Message above I disabled the checksum for ipv4 and tcp on the Network Card. After them I'm hit the button test message again. E-Mail received. I'm also started the backup job again. Same error in the Veeam Job Log. In the Wireshark Log I see that the Authentication credentials are invalid. Is there somewhere an other place to add credentials or have Veeam a cache File with some credentials? As I remember we have tested to send some notification directly to the Exchange Server from our Hoster, but that have never worked. Maybe that credentials are somewhere in a file or cache and the new one will only used if you hit the test message.

Regards
Rolf
Sergey Ch.
Lurker

Post by Sergey Ch. »

Hello.
I have the same problem.
veeam version is 7.0.0.771, OS is Win 2008 r2 std
I succesfully get a test message, but job notifications are not sent.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Contacting support directly would be the most effective way to address this.
kiyagedion
Lurker
Full Name: Kiya Gedion

Post by kiyagedion »

Has this issue been resolved? I am still getting this error:

Details: Unable to connect to SMTP server because of invalid credentials or connection settings.

I have the latest copy of Veeam 7.0.0.839

Sending email via the test works fine, but my jobs are not sending me notifications.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Kiya, I could not find any solution in the OPs ticket. One thing I would check though - do you have both notification options enabled at the same time? Do they work if you enable either one or another?

Anyway, I would recommend to contact our technical team for further investigation.
rwoolley
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Randy Woolley

Post by rwoolley » 2 people like this post

Take a look at the Job.ServerName_-_JobName.Backup file located in C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\Backup_job_name

and see if it's complaining about stuff like:

Key not valid for use in specified state.
at System.Security.Cryptography.ProtectedData.Unprotect(Byte[] encryptedData, Byte[] optionalEntropy,
at Veeam.Backup.Common.ProtectedStorage.GetUserStringNoThrow(String encrypted)

and if it is, are you logged on to the server as the same username that's running the jobs?

If not, it's highly possible that Windows is denying access to the stored password because you're tying to access privileged data stored by another user. I had this exact same problem (test email worked as well), found this thread and noticed these errors above. When I logged out as myself, logged in as the service account then updated the stored SMTP password, it worked just fine ran I ran the jobs.
gto1720
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David

Post by gto1720 » 1 person likes this post

The post by rwoolley helped solve the problem for me. I created the jobs with one account but entered the smtp with a different account. Once i re-entered the smtp info while in the first account it worked fine. Thanks!
Kennyx
Novice
Full Name: kenny

Post by Kennyx »

Hi gto1720,

What you mean is add administrator id inside "User and roles"?

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I believe David meant editing the SMTP server advanced settings in the Options dialog.
gto1720
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David

Post by gto1720 »

gto1720 wrote:The post by rwoolley helped solve the problem for me. I created the jobs with one account but entered the smtp with a different account. Once i re-entered the smtp info while in the first account it worked fine. Thanks!
To clarify this, I created the backup jobs while I was logged onto a local Windows account. I later added the smtp credentials to Veeam while logged onto a domain account. Once I logged back into the local Windows account and re-entered the smtp credentials, my problem was resolved.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Just to let everybody know: v8 addresses this issue. Credentials are encrypted with the machine key and there should not be any issues if they are specified while logged in under different user.