Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
albertwt
Expert
Liked: 20 times

The real world use of Veeam Replication

Post by albertwt » Mar 03, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone share here about what is the benefits or real world scenario of Replicating VM using VBR 4.1 ?
is this something that works like VMware site recovery manager ?

Thanks.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */

TrevorBell
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Re: The real world use of Veeam Replication

Post by TrevorBell » Mar 03, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi,

In my enviroment i have a 3 vm cluster 45 Vm`s with 7 of them being Test Vm`s ..... all being backedup with Veeam 4.1 to a SAN partiton using VA Mode. I also have another ESX server about 500 meters away in a different part of the building incase of fire etc ( gas company high risk )... once a week i replicate some mission critical Vm`s to this server as an extra measure..

I know people say " i have a 3 node cluster" if one node goes down i have another 2 etc... but what about if you have fire or water damage ? for this reason i use the replication feature to replicate about 20 Vm`s to the other location... this way if we have a major failure i can goto the DR Room and just power on 20 ready made replica`s...

At our last DR offsite testing day i took a Dell R710 to the site 30 miles away, plugged it in, powered it on...connect from another server with VC installed and powered on all 20 machines...

It all worked 100% first i powered on both DC`s they took around 10 mins to boot as they have to reboot once and my basic network was then up and running

i then powered on exchange and sql and other servers..

Yes you can goto your DR site with a USB drive with a 130gig .VBK file and do restores ( which i also did to prove it worked ) but for quickness and proof of concept i can say to any colleagues " i can build my entire critical infrastructure within 30 mins of powering the DR server on"

How many people without Veeam can say they can do this ? Backup Exec takes an hour to catalog a new tape so there is no comparison there!

If you need any other info please let me know,

Trev

albertwt
Expert

Post by albertwt » Mar 03, 2010 2:02 pm

wow, that's cool :-)

yes previously i was doing backup with VCB and then archive it to tape but then VBR 4.1 makes my life easier in automatically replicating my VM.
(without having to buy very expensive enterprise solution.).
--

TrevorBell
Expert

Post by TrevorBell » Mar 03, 2010 2:13 pm

Yes many uses.... my main backup is still .vbk but replication is good also..just depends on what works best in your enviroment

cheers

Trev;

donikatz
Expert
Liked: never

Post by donikatz » Mar 03, 2010 2:47 pm

We're in the process of setting up a similar config to Trev's. Right now our Veeam backups are to a cheap off-SAN array which is then backed up weekly to tape for offsite DR (Backup Exec), but we've budgeted to add more disks to have on-SAN backup and/or replication for much quicker individual restore & DR. As Albert mentions, one of the biggest wins with Veeam is the cost vs typical SAN-level solutions and/or SRM.

albertwt
Expert

Post by albertwt » Mar 03, 2010 10:10 pm

exactly yes :-)
this is why I love VBR 4.1 and highly recommend it to everyone.

previously I tried to replicate between 2 ESXi hosts on top of each other (data from SAN into local SATA disk) in case the SAN HDD failed.
--

msebel
Novice
Liked: never

Post by msebel » Mar 04, 2010 10:04 pm

We purchased Veeam strictly for the replication option. We have a DR site about 40 miles away and currently don't have the correct SAN hardware to replicate storage across a WAN link. We have about 30 vm's that are very high priority (low RTO) and need to be available to turn on in under an hour. Luckily these systems do not have a very high RPO. We continue to use our standard backup software to take backups but that does not mean the recovery time would be acceptable. Veeam replication was the best option we could find to provide us what we needed. It provides an automated and scheduled way to have replicated, ready-to-go version of the vm's without having to hire another person to do daily restores of the servers from backup.

albertwt
Expert

Post by albertwt » Mar 04, 2010 10:48 pm

ah yes, that is one of the good thing in using VBR 4.1 :-)
--

TrevorBell
Expert

Post by TrevorBell » Mar 10, 2010 2:59 pm

Here is a genuine real world Use....

Yesterday Production exchange server...someone was looking around the directories and decided to delete the routing group connectors and bridghead connectors!! So now i was stuck.. havent got all the settings written down ( althought i have now ) what could i do to quickly restore the Exchange 2003 server ? Email was incoming but outgoing had no connector to tell it where to send it to and emails were building up steadily.

Solution....

I replicate once a week the Dc`s, Exchange and other mission critical servers....So i powered on the 2 DC`s and exchange server on a private network... all booted with a few minutes and then i went into ESM and then saw the connector settings and manually resetup the connectors up again.

Could of been very :oops: but all worked out great.

So that is a real life LIVE reason i use Replication

Trev...

albertwt
Expert

Post by albertwt » Mar 11, 2010 6:26 am

great, now I want to get ready to P2V my existing Exchange Server :-) as it went broke after the automated Windows Update after 3 AM in the past 3 days it went down twice.
--

TrevorBell
Expert

Post by TrevorBell » Mar 11, 2010 8:10 am

With Exchange 2003 in my case what i did was make a new exchange VM server... then copy all mailboxes across..test they are working.. then VM the physical server ..test all fine and move mailboxes back.. i know you could just have some downtime and VM the physical but i did it this way for zero downtime ( as i moved the mailboxes out of hours ) didnt have no problems :o

Trev..

albertwt
Expert

Post by albertwt » Mar 11, 2010 8:27 am

Cool so I'm pretty confident to use this Replciation technology.

the only difference compare to that Veeam Backup is that Replicated VM is always ready to execute while the backup must be restored first.

One quick question, does replication only create one copy / automated clone of the VM ? if that is yes, then great, no need to keep the multiple duplicate (retention) as we've got the real one and the _replica VM

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers.
--

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1410 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » Mar 11, 2010 9:08 am

Albert,

Actually, you can configure retention policy for replicas as well. It might be useful if you replicate already corrupted VM (for ex. infected by a virus/any malware), in this case you have source and replicared VM damaged, but with the retention policy you can go back and failover to any point in time that was healthy.
Anyway, if you don't want to keep rollbacks you can configure retention policy to 1 value, that will keep only current state of the replicated VM.

Thank you!

albertwt
Expert

Post by albertwt » Mar 11, 2010 10:38 am

Wow it is even better :-o)

ok Supose I set the replica retention policy to 3 so there will be VM_replica1, VM_replica2, VM_replica3 and the original VM itself ?

cmiiw
--

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1410 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » Mar 11, 2010 10:52 am

Albert,

Yes, that's better for sure :) By setting the retention policy to 3, you will have 1 current state and 2 rollbacks.