Understanding replication job progress information

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Understanding replication job progress information

Veeam Logoby gparker » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:24 am

Hi, I'm reletively new to Veeam Backup & Replication. I've got a Prod site and a DR site, each running VMware vSphere. I am setting up Veeam to replicate some VM's from Prod to DR over our WAN link. The WAN bandwith is only 10Mbps, so I'm doing the seeding method and so I've installed Veeam at the prod site, created a full backup of a VM, brought the backup to the DR site, added it as a Backup Repository on the DR Veeam server and restored the VM onto my DR vSphere environment OK.
I then created a replication job with the replica seeding option checked and I checked the Replica Mapping option and mapped the source VM to the restored replica VM. I kicked of the replication job successfully and am monitoring it now and I don't quite understand some of the information it's telling me. The size of the VM is 80GB. The progress screen is saying that it's so far processed 68.8GB (86%) which I presume relates to 86% odf the size of the VM, right? The next thing it says is that it's read 61.0GB. What does this mean? The next thing it says is it's transferred 549.4 MB (113.7x). What does this mean - has it only had to transfer 549.4MB through the WAN link so far and if so, why is the WAN link constantly saturated with traffic (there is no other data going through this WAN link at all). What does the 113.7x in the brackets represent?

Please help me to understand these figures.

George.
gparker
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: George Parker

Re: Understanding replication job progress information

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:48 am

gparker wrote:I kicked of the replication job successfully and am monitoring it now and I don't quite understand some of the information it's telling me. The size of the VM is 80GB. The progress screen is saying that it's so far processed 68.8GB (86%) which I presume relates to 86% of the size of the VM, right?

Correct. This is overall VM processing pointer.

gparker wrote:The next thing it says is that it's read 61.0GB. What does this mean?

The amount of data that has been read from source VM disk. Less than 68.8GB because some blocks are not being read - as because we do not care about their content, or because the content is already known (zeroed block).

gparker wrote:The next thing it says is it's transferred 549.4 MB (113.7x). What does this mean - has it only had to transfer 549.4MB through the WAN link so far

Yes. There are 549.5MB of compressed blocks which are different between your seed, and the current state of source VM disks.

gparker wrote:and if so, why is the WAN link constantly saturated with traffic (there is no other data going through this WAN link at all).

Well, your link is only 1 MB/s, so what do you expect when there is 549.4 MB of data to move across. Of course the link will be saturated.

gparker wrote:What does the 113.7x in the brackets represent?

Read divided by transferred. If you are doing seeding, ignore this counter - it only makes sense for "normal" runs.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2536 times

Veeam Logoby homerjnick » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:27 pm

Does he have a 10 or 1 Mbs link?
homerjnick
Expert

Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:29 pm

gparker wrote:The WAN bandwith is only 10Mbps
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby homerjnick » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Gostev wrote:
gparker wrote:and if so, why is the WAN link constantly saturated with traffic (there is no other data going through this WAN link at all).

Well, your link is only 1 MB/s, so what do you expect when there is 549.4 MB of data to move across. Of course the link will be saturated.

Then this post is not quite right?
homerjnick
Expert

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:40 pm

10 Mpbs = 1.25 MB/s
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby homerjnick » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:42 pm

Oopps I misread...sorry!
homerjnick
Expert

Veeam Logoby gparker » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:33 pm

Thanks everyone for your posts, answers and comments :)

I can confirm that the WAN link is 10Mbps and the Veeam progress box is reporting transfer rate of 1MB/sec. I don't mind that it says 1MB/sec as opposed to 1.25MB/sec, but what does concern me is that it's constantly saying 1MB/sec while the job is active. The job has been active for something like 13 hours and has tranferred only 549.4MB in all that time while the transfer rate hasn't moved from 1MB/sec. So what it going on on the WAN link?

George.
gparker
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:48 pm

Do you have proxies on both sides of the link? Have you manually selected them in the job? It sounds like you may have a proxy on the target side that is pulling the replica via network mode across the link, instead of proxy-to-proxy. This is the most common configuration error that I see with V6 replication, either having a proxy only on one side, or having a proxy on both sides, in network mode, but not specifically selecting the proxies on each end.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1951 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby gparker » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:57 pm

Hi tsightler,

You are right, I only have a proxie on the target side. In the job progress information box, it actually says "using source proxy VMware Backup Proxy [nbd]" and "using target proxy VMware Backup Proxy [nbd]". I presume the "[nbd]" means it is pulling the replica via network mode across the link, right?

How does this relate to there being a constant 1MB/sec processing rate when it has only transferred 549.4MB?

George.
gparker
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:28 pm

So the "VMware Backup Proxy" is the Veeam server itself. Is this located on the source or target side?

The number for "transferred" indicates the amount of data that would have been sent between the two proxies, but since you are using the same proxy for both source and target, this number effectively has no meaning at all. Not having a proxy on both ends will lead to very poor replication performance. I'm suspicious that your VMware server is on the target side, and thus the proxy is having to read the entire data across the 10MB link. That would mean it would pull the entire 61GB "read" over the wire which would be about right for a 10Mb link.

Please deploy both a source and target proxy, and then select the appropriate proxies in the job configuration and test again. I think you will see a tremendous difference as then the actual data transferred across the WAN link would indeed be only 549.5MB, and this data would be streamed efficiently between the two proxies, not sent/received via network mode (nbd) across the WAN, which is very inefficient.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby gparker » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:45 pm

Hi,

Yes you are right, the "VMware Backup Proxy" is the Veeam server itself. It is located on the target side.

Thanks for explaining how it works and what "transferred" number actually means in my situation. Thanks also for explaining that the proxy has to read the entire data across the 10Mb link and that it's effectivelly pulling the entire 61GB.

I only have a reletively small deployment scenario here. I am only wanting to replicate 3 VM's from source vSphere environment to target vSphere environment. I will be configuring the replication job(s) to schedule the replications every 4 hours. So I'm happy to deploy a proxy server at the source side, but do I really need to deploy a seperate proxy server at the target side? The VM that I've installed Veeam onto at the target side isn't being heavilly loaded. It also does not have direct access to the target VMFS Datastore where the replica's are going to becuase it's on an ESX host that cannot see the target Datastore. Will I see an improvement in the replications if I only deploy a proxy at the source side that can see the source side Datastore(s) of the source VM's?

Regards,
George.
gparker
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:26 am

You can continue to use the Veeam server as the proxy for the target side. Just deploy an additional proxy on the source side, and make sure to select the specific proxies in the job configuration (don't leave them on automatic). I wouldn't worry about the datastore access because you only have a 10Mb link, and that will definitely be the bottleneck.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby gparker » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:53 am

Thanks very much.

I hope it doesn't make any difference to the replication speed/efficiency etc, but just to let you know that there is no backup repository setup at the source side. I'm not using Veeam for its backup capabilities, I'm only using it for its replication feature. Does the replication job configuration care one way or the other that there's no backup repository on the source side?

George.
gparker
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:44 am

Replication does require a repository to store replication metadata. By default it will use the default repository on the Veeam server. Ideally you should use a repository on the source side. Ideally you should make the source proxy also a repository and select it to store the metadata for the most efficient replication performance.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication