Monitoring Log Activity

Unleash the power of System Center for vSphere and Hyper-V | Veeam Task Manager for Hyper-V

Monitoring Log Activity

Veeam Logoby AppManagerLover » Wed May 13, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi there,

First post, so please bear with me. I'm interested to know if anyone's used the Veeam MP to verify that ESXi host logs are being written. We had an outage on a host recently, and were unable to do any root cause analysis, as the vmkernel log hadn't been written for several months. I'd like to have a simple monitor in place to make sure that, at a base level, the vmkernel log is being written to, and is relatively fresh (i.e. if there hasn't been a single log write in the previous 24 hours, we'd like to know about it).

Anyone know if this is something that the MP can do for me? I'm not concerned (at the moment) about the content of the vmkernel logs, just that they are at least being written.
AppManagerLover
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Staniel Barten

Re: Monitoring Log Activity

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed May 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Staniel,

Can you have a look at this document: http://veeampdf.s3.amazonaws.com/guide/veeam_mp_for_vmware_operations_guide_7.pdf starting from page 159. If I am not mistaken (but not a VMware guy...) you should be able to do something with the IPMI system log event. But again, my knowledge on VMware is limited :-)

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Monitoring Log Activity

Veeam Logoby AppManagerLover » Wed May 13, 2015 2:21 pm

Thanks Mike,

I'll look into this, but initial research into IPMI suggests that it's more aimed at integrating with the platform hardware from a monitoring perspective, rather than inspecting the OS behavior. I'll do more reading and report back, however, and am grateful for any pointers here!
AppManagerLover
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Staniel Barten

Return to Veeam Management Pack for Microsoft System Center