Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
Chr15
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Allen

Custom Report Creation

Post by Chr15 »

I am a new Veeam customer and following a successful implementation our focus has now switched to using Veeam One to create the reports.

Our 9.5 update 1 environment has three tiered repositories with different retentions applied at each level and two of these are Dell DR dedupe devices (DR4100 and DR6300).

My requirement is to create a single report to include the information below that I am able to run periodically across our entire estate for auditing purposes and our own peace of mind.

Server name
Number of recovery points
Dates the recovery point was taken
Location of the recovery points
Date the recovery point will expire.

Could anyone advise how to build a suitable custom report?

When searching the forums I can see a similar request has been made in the past veeam-one-f28/detailed-backup-retention ... 23850.html

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Custom Report Creation

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Chris and welcome to the community!
Veeam retention is # of restore points-based rather than # of day-based, so the oldest restore point will be deleted when you have X newer restore points.
As for other data, please take a look at Backup Infrastructure Custom Data report.
Thanks!
Chr15
Novice

Post by Chr15 »

Hi Shestakov.

I have taken a look at the infrastructure reports section you recommend and have made a start at building the report using the Veeam columns in quotes below.

•Server name (“computer name”)
•Number of recovery points (“number of restore points”)
•Dates the recovery point was taken (“last backup date”)
•Location of the recovery points (“repository”)
•Date the recovery point will expire – Not available?

This outputs some of the information we require however it is lacking some important elements, for example the number of restore points is useful but I also require additional detail around when it was taken. Is there a way to include the detail that is displayed when clicking through the restore wizard?

The column “Repository” also requires further refinement. Currently it lists all repositories that hold one or more RP however the detail I aiming to output is the location of the each restore point available.

So it’s clear what I am trying to achieve I have mocked up an example in Excel:

(The expiration date used above is fictional. Purpose was to illustrate different expiration dates against different restore points)

If its not possible to obtain the information using Veeam One could anyone advise on any PowerShell scripts that I could use?

Thanks Chris
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Chris,
To get closest info of your requirement, you need to create a Backup Infrastructure Custom Data with these parameters:

Object Type: Virtual Machine
Columns: Name, Last Backup Date, Number of Restore Points, Parent Jobs, Repository

You may also apply custom filter to display the required VMs.

As for predefined reports, for your case I would consider VM Backup Compliance Overview
Thanks!
Chr15
Novice

Post by Chr15 »

Thanks for the suggestion Shestakov but unless I’m missing something the Custom Data / VM Compliance Reports still doesn’t allow me to extract the information I require.

I can appreciate that my report mock up may not be possible however I am still unable to create one that contains the basic information displayed in the File Level Restore screenshot above or the information displayed when viewing the properties of a backup disk:

Can you be more specific about how I can output this particular information via Veeam One or if necessary PowerShell?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

As was said above that`s impossible to exact provide restore point expiration date as retention is based on a number of restore points, not amount of days.
Data size, Backup size, compression and deduplication can be found in Backup Job Historical Information report.
Thank you for the feedback!