Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Guillaume78
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Guillaume

Architecture storage recommandation

Post by Guillaume78 »

Hello,

I would like your opinion on how to improve our storage architecture and which is used in production for our customers.
Currently we are saving around fifty users but this will increase.
Currently we have a single server which has the roles VSPC and VBO.
This server has a Data partition which is connected in isci to a Synology NAS with a switch used by other resources.

I read that storage performance can be improved with object storage.
Do you think performance could be improved if we installed Minion in a container of our Synology NAS ?
Do you have any other recommendations ?

Thank you
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2337 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Architecture storage recommandation

Post by Mildur »

Hello Guillaume

For service provider we strongly recommend object storage repositories in Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 .
Our upcoming version 8 of Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 will bring a lot of improvement regarding repository and job processing.
But it will only be possible for object storage repositories.

Minio on a Synology NAS may bring some performance improvements for smaller VB365 deployments (or homelabs) compared to iSCSI, but we don't recommend it for a service provider scenario.
How much source data are you protecting of your customers?

Please also note, MinIo is currently not on our Veeam Ready list: https://www.veeam.com/alliance-partner- ... 5B%5D=true
We know that it technically works, but it wasn't tested within our Veeam Ready program for Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365.

Best,
Fabian

PS:
Please register yourself in our service provider user group if you are a service provider. This gives you access to our hidden service provider sub forums where service provider products are discussed: Apply for the Cloud and Service Providers user group
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Guillaume78
Novice

Post by Guillaume78 »

Hello Fabien,

We currently protect around 3TB of customer data but this could increase significantly over the year.
Ok I note that MinIo is not the best choice, what scenario would you recommend for a service provider ?

Thanks for your help
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

If you want to be sure that the storage solution was fully tested for VB365 by our object storage vendors (functionality and performance), then take a look at our "Veeam Ready" and "Veeam Integrated" object storage list for Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365:
Veeam Ready: https://www.veeam.com/alliance-partner- ... %5B%5D=146
Veeam Integrated: https://www.veeam.com/alliance-partner- ... %5B%5D=218

But MinIo works also with VB365. You can test Minio on your Synology NAS as a start with object storage repositories.
And I now from other service provider that they use it. But they always use dedicated hardware and not as an add-on directly on a Synology NAS. Therefore I strongly recommend to run your own performance tests (backup and restore) if you decide to try it with your Synology. Preferable with 1-2 TB of source data and not a small tenant.

Best,
Fabian
Guillaume78
Novice

Post by Guillaume78 » 1 person likes this post

I will look at the solutions validated by your teams in Veeam Ready and Veeam Integrated !

To understand clearly, when you say that it is only used on dedicated hardware, in our case this would be for example :
A dedicated server with its local storage or a disk bay, with a VM on it or a docker which would provide object type storage ?

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

I recommend to have a dedicated server with local storage. That would be optimal design.
Minio has a wiki with a recommended reference design:

- https://min.io/product/reference-hardware
- https://blog.min.io/selecting-hardware- ... eployment/

Virtualized can also work:
https://blog.min.io/best-practices-minio-virtualized/
But I strongly recommend to install Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 and run your performance tests before going live.

You can find other topics here in the forum who run Minio and shared there experience with it:
post489982.html#p489982

Best,
Fabian
Guillaume78
Novice

Post by Guillaume78 »

Thank you for these informations.

Does Veeam provide a guide to performing performance tests and having comparison values ?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hello Guillaume

I don't think we provide any numbers in our user guides or best practice guides.
My suggestion is to backup and restore some of the largest public folder sites and multiple (large) mailboxes.
Monitor how the MinIo storage performs with the amount of API calls. If there are timeouts or slow backup/restore, contact our customer support and ask them to investigate the log files.

Best,
Fabian