Changing target location of replication job in V6.

VMware specific discussions

Changing target location of replication job in V6.

Veeam Logoby tjgrie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:33 pm

Is there a KB article for V6 for changing where the replica VMs reside for replication jobs? I've located the V5 one (http://www.veeam.com/kb_articles.html/KB1458) but I didn't know if the procedure had changed.

If I need to move the replica VMs around can I just storage vMotion the VMs and change the job to reflect their new location?
tjgrie
Novice

Liked: 2 times

Re: Changing target location of replication job in V6.

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Yes, with new replication jobs architecture, you can use storage vMotion to migrate VMs and then update these jobs with new host/datastore location of the VMs.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby tjgrie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:55 pm

Cool. Thanks!
tjgrie
Novice

Liked: 2 times

[MERGED] Moving from one datastore to another.

Veeam Logoby rihardsshtrauss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:52 am

Hello,

I hope that somebody can help me with some advice about replica datastores in Veeam B&R 6.1. I need to move replicas from one datastore to another, so the one, on which replicas are now located can be freed from all data and I can use the new datastore for replicas. I tried copying data from one datastore to another, but, it seems, I did something wrong, because Veeam copied all data to the new datastore in seperate folder, which was named as datastore where replicas are now located. I hope that somebody can help we with this!

Have a nice day!

Rihards
rihardsshtrauss
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Rihards Strauss

Re: Moving from one datastore to another.

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Hello Rihards,

Could you please tell me if you've updated your replication job with new datastore location?

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby rihardsshtrauss » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:11 am

Hello Vitaliy,

Yes, I changed datastore to new one, but data wasnt replicated fully, only changes were written to new datastore. Me and my college had an idea, that we could copy data from old to new storage and than change datastores, maybe that could be the solution? All the data, that was written to old datastore stayed there.

Have a nice day!

Rihards
rihardsshtrauss
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:42 am

Rihards, could you please clarify how you migrated VM files? Have you used vSphere Client to migrate the VM or have you copied VM files manually?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby rihardsshtrauss » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:54 am

I copied files from one datastore to another manually, and I didn't use vSphere client. I hope this anserws your question, Vitaliy.
rihardsshtrauss
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:48 am

Ok, there are two way of migrating VM replica files and depending on the variant chosen there are two procedures to follow in order to continue using existing VM replica files in the replication job.

Migration with vSphere Client. If you use cold migration to change destination datastore/host of the VM replica, all you have to do next is update replication job destination using Veeam backup console. Once you do this, your job will continue running normally.

Manual migration (copying VM files manually). Now this is where it gets tricky. If you choose to go this way, then you will have to re-register VM replica in the VI. This can be done by double-clicking on VM VMX file via vSphere Client. Be aware that this operation will change VM unique ID (moref), and you will have to not only change destination target for the replication job, but also perform VM replica mapping, as this VM will be treated as a new one due to VM ID change. There is also one thing to keep in mind in this scenario - after replica mapping all existing snapshots (restore points) will be removed.

Obviously, the first option is the easiest and the recommended way to change destination target of your VM replicas. If you still have this option, please use vSphere Client to migrate your VM replica.

Hope this helps!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby rihardsshtrauss » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Thank you for your fast reply!

After reading this, I think I will try the first option, because second one sounds much more time consuming! When I will have some results, I'll report them in this forum thread!
rihardsshtrauss
Novice

[MERGED] : Changing Replication Job Destination Settings

Veeam Logoby 1-0-1 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:05 am

I know the preferred way to perform seeding operations in v6.5 is to create a backup job and use that backup file to create a replica. I however wonder if it is, for example, possible to create a replication job as usual but then afterwards change the destination settings like host or cluster, resource pool and more importantly datastore without loosing the replication data from the existing job.
Would this be a matter of copying the replica folder to the new datastore and then changing the destination settings on the replication job? We currently want to start creating replicas on secondary storage until our new offsite storage unit arrives. Once it arrives we can then use the existing replica data to build the new replicas offsite and thus only continue from where we left off. All of this will be part of the same vShpere cluster. To what extend can the settings be changed in the destination tab on the replication job options and is there any special considerations?
1-0-1
Enthusiast

Full Name: Bernd

Re: Changing Replication Job Destination Settings

Veeam Logoby kjc3303 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:39 am 1 person likes this post

Would this be a matter of copying the replica folder to the new datastore and then changing the destination settings on the replication job?

You will need to move all the vm files to new DS and add to inventory on the new host then map the replication job to existing replica.

The moving of files method is your choice Svmotion, veeam migrate job, Veeam file copy job depending on your infrastructure

Kev
kjc3303
Expert

Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Kevin Clarke

Re: Changing Replication Job Destination Settings

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:47 am 1 person likes this post

Hi, Bernd,

If your VMs have been added to the replication job trough vCenter connection and there is an appropriate VMware license in place, then you can simply utilize Storage vMotion functionality in order to change underlying datastore.

*Note: Having VM being added via vCenter will guarantee that VB&R job is vMotion aware.

Otherwise, you can put into use QuickMigration functionality. With Veeam Quick Migration you’ll be able to migrate promptly one or more VM between datastores and later leverage replica mapping.

However, please be aware in case of you using replica mapping functionality all previous restore points will be lost.

During the first run, only differences between VMs will be calculated and transferred. These differences later will be used to synchronize the state of VM in DR site and the original one in Production site.After successful synchronization, there will be only two restore points. One of which is the latest state of the mapped VM (target VM), another is the latest state of the original VM on the source host.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby 1-0-1 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:36 am

Aha - great. So I can continue using my replicas on the temporary NAS device. Once the new storage unit comes I can move the temporary NAS to the offsite location - perform the vStorage Motion on the replicas (which will also include the incremental/snapshots). Then change the destination Host and datastore in my VEEAM B&R replication option and continue as normal.
1-0-1
Enthusiast

Full Name: Bernd

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:44 am

Yep, this will do the trick.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Next

Return to VMware vSphere