FEATURE REQUEST - Speed Up the Planned Failback Process

VMware specific discussions

Re: FEATURE REQUEST - Speed Up the Planned Failback Process

Veeam Logoby DrWhy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:36 pm

Got it, thanks for taking the time to provide an update. What is the ETA at this time?
DrWhy
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Caleb

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:35 pm 2 people like this post

We typically do not share ETA until we 100% confident the feature is getting into the particular release.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:44 am

Implementation has been completed, and if all is well QC-wise, the feature will be included in 9.5 U2. Just don't ask when U2 is going to be released, because we don't have the timeline defined yet (no pressure to release one in terms of bugs). Sometimes in the spring!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2348 times

Veeam Logoby DrWhy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:47 pm

Best news I've heard all month! Can't wait.
DrWhy
Enthusiast

[MERGED] Failback too slow for temporary failover

Veeam Logoby Erhard » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi,

while failing over is quite straight forward and does not take very long (original VM is synced while running, than powered down, last minute sync and replica powered on), failing back that very same machine takes at least 3 times the time of failover, if not hours or days.

Now imagine I want to maintain the primary Hyper-V host where some or all VMs are running. Well yes, lets perform a failover, install some gigabytes of MS updates and then failback the VMs.

No way! I tried this with some test VM that has got a dynamic hard drive that has got occupied space of 117G and that is 130G large in Windows. That VHD file is 125G large.

While failover took 8 minutes failback took three quarters of an hour. Okay, I placed some call and asked what is going wrong. The answer was, that there is nothing going wrong.

It seems like failback works/worked like this:

- take a snapshot of the running replica
- read the original machine to check for changes
- calculate the differences and throw the result in trash
- copy back the entire replica (130G) anyway
- then write another 130G, because the dynamic VHD contains unpartitioned space of another 130G (no idea where the non-existent data is written to, maybe to some single dummy sector?)
- and so on and so on

Now what I'ld like to have is a fast and straight foward failback like this

- the amount of time when neither replica nor original VM are available must be as short as possible, so please sync it online and if possible based on CBT
- there must be an option whether failback shall power down the replica and power up the original automatically or supervised (I haven't got any mind to stare on some progress bar for eight hours or so)
- if supervised failback is selected, the replica must be kept running until the "do it now - button" is pushed
- when that button is pushed, the productive replica(s) is powered down, the remaining data is synced and the original VM(s) is(are) powered on

I do hope that somebody undestands that there seems to be room for improvement in failback. And please, planned failover and planned failback are enterprise options. While I am not talking about the enterprise edition I would bet several pizzas that the enterprise edition suffers from slow failback as well.

Best regards

Erhard
Erhard
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Erhard Pütz

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:02 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi Erhard, thanks for your feedback. Please get a chance to test it once again once Veeam B&R v9.5 Update 2 is released in April.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby kenny782 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:07 pm

Just curious if you had any updates? :)
No pun intended lol

Thanks,

Kenny
kenny782
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Kenneth M.

Veeam Logoby DrWhy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:08 pm 1 person likes this post

April isn't over yet :)
DrWhy
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby jim3cantos » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:05 am

Ok. Ather reading the whole thread while testing failback, may be it's time for applying Update 2:

https://www.veeam.com/kb2283
Failback performance improvements. Failback can now optionally use changed block tracking data to determine the changes between the original VM and replica VM state. This dramatically accelerates the failback performance due removing the need to read the entire original VM disks (“Calculating original signature” operation). For VMware hypervisor, we recommend that this option is not used if the failover event was triggered by a disaster that involved host or storage crash or dirty shutdown, as CBT data may be inconsistent in this Case.

...be aware of this issue with update 2 before (or after) updating.
jim3cantos
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: José Ignacio Martín Jiménez

Veeam Logoby DrWhy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:21 pm

Good info! thanks Jim. There is a hotfix that fixes the issue, which is good, but it must be obtained by contacting support.
DrWhy
Enthusiast

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere