Free space on datastore.

VMware specific discussions

Free space on datastore.

Veeam Logoby jpesick » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:10 pm

I just upgraded to V5 and now I am getting the following error when I run a backup.

Checking free space on source datastore
Production datastore is getting low on free space (408.00 MB left), and may run out of free disk space completely due to open snapshots.
Insufficient free disk space on production datastore.

I am wondering what feature on the new version is requiring more free space on the datastore then the old version did? How much free space am I going to need on each datastore for a backup to complete?

Thank you
jpesick
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Pesick

Re: Free space on datastore.

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi Jason, please check out the What's New document, it explains this new feature in-depth. Hopefully this should prevent what has been quite common Severity 1 support issue for us with previous versions. Thank you!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2383 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:30 pm

By the way, I am fairly sure that 2GB limit is customizable via registry, I can try to find this out for you with developers tomorrow. However, I highly recommend to stick with 2GB threshold for your own good.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby jpesick » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:49 pm

Thank you for the reply Gostev. I increased the size of the datastore so that it had 2GB of free space and everything is working great now.
jpesick
Novice

Full Name: Jason Pesick

Veeam Logoby durandl » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:44 am

Hi Gostev,
Could you tell me which feature this is exactly and if I can disable it?
durandl
Influencer

Full Name: Durand Lively

Veeam Logoby Sethbartlett » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:33 am

Tools > Options > Notifications. You can lower the percentage or turn it off.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
Sethbartlett
Expert

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Veeam Logoby durandl » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:45 pm

is there a way to store the snapshots veeam uses in a separate datastore?
durandl
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:48 pm

Yes, the snapshot location for each VM can be customized using the workingDir VM parameter (this is VMware functionality though, has nothing to deal with Veeam).

Please note that this parameter works very differently in vSphere 4 and vSphere 5 (because vSphere 5 had changed some rules around the default snapshot placement). VMware has pretty detailed recent blog post about workingDir here, this covers both old and new behavior of both snapshot placement and workingDir parameter.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:38 pm

Also note that "workingDir" is overwritten if you use storage vMotion and can lead to long term management problems if you have VMs that might be moving around. It's more of a temporary solution that a long term fix. Ideally you should organize your infrastructure to provide space for snapshots.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1787 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby ErikZandboer » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:06 am

Hi all,

Ran into the same problem after upgrading to v6: One VM uses a "data" datastore and the vmdk fills up the datastore completely. There is nothing wrong with that, especially since the vmdk is independent plus the snapshot for the VM is not put on that particular datastore. So there is no harm in completely filling up that particular datastore.

It would be a great addition to the product if it featured some more intelligence on this part. For example I have a second VM, with a similar configuration. That "data only" datastore has some more free space left, so the backup does run "out of the box" (eg without disabling the production store free space warning), but it ends every single day with a warning that the datastore is nearly full, while this datastore is NOT the datastore used to store snapshots.

I don't like backups completing with warnings. It makes me check every single day just to find this issue is really not the issue. Turning the warning off from the tools menu solves this problem, but at the same time makes me blind for any REAL issues. It would be great to see Veeam Backup being able to intelligently find the location of the snapshot-to-be, and only warn/refuse when THAT particular store reached a watermark.
ErikZandboer
Novice

Full Name: Erik Zandboer

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:18 am

Hi Erik - I guess the only issue here is that this logic needs to be adapted to vSphere 5 - apparently, right now it still uses vSphere 4 default snapshot placement rule. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby ErikZandboer » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:10 pm

Cool. I understand there are many priorities and much to build/rebuild - You are doing a great job and these issues are really minors when it really comes down to it - backing up your environment.
ErikZandboer
Novice

Veeam Logoby durandl » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:47 pm

Excellent, I was not aware that the snapshot.redoNotWithParent = "TRUE" was needed on v5 datastores. This was beginning to be troublesome as the backup would cause the datastore to completely fill and bring down the VM :(

I will give that a shot. Thanks again.
durandl
Influencer

Veeam Logoby durandl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:47 pm

This did not work. I made the change and re-registered the VM and the job failed with the Production datastore is getting low on free space message. I then went into the GUI and disabled this warning and it failed again with the following message:

1/3/2012 9:34:38 PM :: Error: File <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore '<unspecified datastore>

This is beginning to be very frustrating as I have created a support case over 24 hours ago, they asked me for the logs 12 hours ago and I have yet to hear back. In addition the wait time on the phone support was over an hour.

I need to get this resolved ASAP as we have no backups of our production file server!
durandl
Influencer

Veeam Logoby ErikZandboer » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:55 pm

I think I know what is going on; there is some issue with the blocksize of datastores. I think you may have a mixed environment when looking at VMFS blocksizes. You need to make sure that the Veeam VM is sitting on a datastore with the largest blocksize (8MB probably).

The underlying problem is VMware related, and is this: A VM running on a datastore with a small blocksize cannot hotadd disks that are larger than the maximum filesize allowed by that particular blocksize. So migrating the Veeam VM to a datastore with 8MB blocksize, you will probably fix the issue.

Just my 2 cents...
ErikZandboer
Novice

Next

Return to VMware vSphere