Is it possible to see/analyse contents of a backup file?

VMware specific discussions

Is it possible to see/analyse contents of a backup file?

Veeam Logoby pkelly_sts » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:42 am

It's a bit of a long-shot but thought I'd ask.

I have a VM that, like clockwork, has a backup size of around 45Gb on a Monday and 25Gb on a tuesday, all other days are 2-5Gb. Not monstrous in the overall scheme of things but I'd /really/ love to know what's generating these changes as it implies that someone, somewhere, is updating a lot of info between these backups and searching for files on the fileserver with timestamps around these times doesn't reveal any candidates. There doesn't seem to be a defrag job either which I'd assume could also cause similar changes?

If I were backing up traditionally with BExec, I could start the process of a restore, navigate to the media for the day in question, then in the right-pane I could sort the "incremental" folders of that day into size order and thus find the largest amount of changed data.

So, I'm not asking for an equivalent facility, but is there any way at all of determining what is generating the most incremental backup data for a given restore point?

Paul
[New Sig: PLEASE get GFS tape support for incrementals!!!]
pkelly_sts
Expert

Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Re: Is it possible to see/analyse contents of a backup file?

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:00 am

Hi, Paul.

The reason of such behaviour is the way two products work. Symantec is a file-level solution that requires an agent to be installed inside VM and that keeps track about changed files, meanwhile, VB&R is an image-based one, that cares only about blocks.

And it’s not possible to determine what specifically has led to that amount of changes, since sometimes changed blocks don’t necessarily mean changed files. For instance, some activities such as defragmentation, as well as, antivirus one that don’t literally change files, does affect seriously the number of changed block; so, please take a look whether there are any that are performed inside this VM.

In addition, I’m wondering whether this is an ordinary VM or VM that runs special applications (Exchange, SQL, etc.).

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1026 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:49 am

Here is an existing thread with the similar query: Large VIB file on a small static server
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1145 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] Changed blocks - how identify corresponding files

Veeam Logoby peterisis » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:11 am

Hi,

i was wondering if it is possible somehow to identify which files in a VM correspond to the changed blocks veeam is backing up.

We back-up about 30 vm's using Veeam B&R for a few of our customers and some vm's have a large amount of changed blocks every day. One of these servers is a 'app server' on which we installed Symantec Enterprise Protection Manager' for example. This server has a backup transfer of 15 GB every day. I'm pretty sure that 90% of these changed blocks is caused by some kind of rotating log file or non-effeicient database service. So if i could find out the files corresponding to the changed blocks that would help me in finetuning our backup service.

I have tried 'Disk Pulse', which shows the files being altered. But that didn't help me.

Kind regards,

Peter
peterisis
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Peter

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:16 am

Hi Peter,

As Vladimir has mentioned above it is not possible to correlate the blocks that have changed and the files inside the Guest OS, most likely these changes are caused by file scans/access time stamps.

Please search these forums for existing topics discussing reasons of large increments > search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=changed+blocks+files+large

Hope this helps!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

View Content of Last Backup

Veeam Logoby GL@MO » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:41 am

Hi @all,

last night I experienced a high amount of data being backupped from our fileserver which is not normal (38GB instead of normally ~5GB)

is it possible to view what files have been backupped/changed with Veeam or does anybody have a hint how to do it with Windows (Fileserver) tools?

Many thanks to all

Guido
GL@MO
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:42 am

Guido, please review the thread above for an answer. Also, there are some hints given in the topic referred to by Vitaliy that might give you an idea of why such amount of data was backed up.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] data in incremental backups

Veeam Logoby fcmajor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:19 am

Hello

We are using veeam for our DC and file server.
Our backup is traditional incremental with a full backup on monday.
We have enabled guest file system indexing.

My question now can I see the only the data that is in one incremental backup?

When I try the restore option and select restore windows guest file and choose an incremental, is the data that I see everything (including the last full) or just the data of that incremental?
fcmajor
Novice

Full Name: Jens Zimmermann

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:36 am

Jens, when selecting particular restore point, you see the entire file system of the VM at the state corresponding to the selected moment in time.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby fcmajor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:20 pm

So for example:

When monday is my full backup and tuesday - sunday are incrementals.
When I choose the restore point friday it shows me everything from monday until friday or just the friday?
fcmajor
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:30 pm

When you click on the particular restore point, it shows you data that was present on the source VM disks on that day (the latest state).
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby fcmajor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:19 pm

But can we see only the delta between 2 backups?
fcmajor
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:20 pm

No, you can't.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1026 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:21 pm

Since Veeam B&R is a block-level solution and grabs changed blocks only, there's no ability to correlate those blocks to the files inside the guest OS.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby AdrianHinton » Tue May 06, 2014 5:16 am

If VBR can identify changed blocks to perform the backup, can it not also log (in a readable way) what changes it identified and copied? Could you then begin to identify what has changed from there?
AdrianHinton
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Adrian Hinton

Next

Return to VMware vSphere