Moving To New Repository

VMware specific discussions

Re: Moving To New Repository

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:55 am

You can wait for patch#2, if there are GFS restore points in backup copy job chain. The patch#2 should address the issue related to mapping a backup copy job to a chain with GFS restore points.

However, if there are no GFS restore point in chain, feel free to migrate repository now.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1006 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

[MERGED] : Moving a job to a new repository, copy jobs chang

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:32 pm

Hi

I wish to move a job from an old repository to a new one, but this job has 2 copy jobs associated with it which I don't want to touch or restart. One is offsite with low restore points, and one is a long term retention copy. If I point the backup job to the new repository, will the copy jobs just carry on fine with the incrementals? or will they lose the CBT and trigger a full copy?

Thanks
lando_uk
Expert

Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Mark

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:35 pm

Your post has been merged into existing discussion. Check this post for the detailed description of the required procedure. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1006 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:49 pm

ok thanks, that explains a basic move, but I should have added more in my original post.

What about this scenario. My current repository is a large RAID6 and was too slow to transform backup chains into rollbacks each week for this one job, so that job has 4 or 5 full VBKs files (so its large) The new repository is RAID10 but smaller, but it'll be quick enough to run rollbacks now, so it means that the old files wont all fit. I don't mind starting a new chain using the new settings in the new location, but I don't want to start a new chain on the copy jobs, as I'm short of disk space in that copy job location.
lando_uk
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:59 pm

If you perform repository change correctly, backup copy job should proceed fine with incremental runs even if you start the backup job from scratch (unless specific source repository is specified to look for restore points in).
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:17 pm

So I'm worrying over nothing then, I just edit the job, tick on the rollbacks box and point it to the new location , keep all the copy jobs the same, and it'll just work?
lando_uk
Expert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:36 pm

Correct, if you chosen source "From jobs" in the backup copy job options, you don`t even need to change the job settings.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 419 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:46 pm

What will happen to the old backup files, will they just remain the original location and i'll have to tidy up manually once I'm happy with the new backup?

Will I end up having two lots of backups in the Disk section with the same name, but different creation times?
lando_uk
Expert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:24 pm

- If you decide not to move backups to a new repository, but leave them there, they will not be deleted automatically.
- Name of backup file includes the backup date, so names will differ.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 419 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:14 pm

Hi, I tried to set this up today, and when I change location, it wants me to copy the old files to the new location so I can't just change it.

Does that mean I have to clone the job and create a new one? If I do that, I presume I'll lose the copy job chains?
lando_uk
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:18 pm

If you do not want to copy existing files, the procedure will look like this one.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:31 pm

foggy wrote:If you do not want to copy existing files, the procedure will look like this one.

If I remove from backups and then start the new job, can I then import it again for other admins who may want to restore from it?
lando_uk
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:33 pm

Sure, you can.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED]: How to move a backup repository to new storage

Veeam Logoby gparker » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:17 am

Hi, I've seen a few posts related to my question, but they are 12 months or more old, so I'm wondering what's the situation with the newer versions of Veeam:- I've got a client running Veeam on an old physical server and their backup repository is a SAN LUN that's mounted as a local disk to the server as a drive letter. They want me to re-install Veeam onto a brand new server that's got "tons" of internal disk capacity that will be setup as a new backup repository and they want me to migrate their backup job configurations/settings and to also move/relocate the repository. They then want me to decommission the old Veeam server and re-purpose the LUN as quickly as possible.

If there's no way to migrate the backup job settings/configuration database from the old Veeam server to the new one, it's no big deal for me to setup all the jobs again on the new server, but what's the best way for me to move/relocate the repository? I want to be able to restore from previous backups if required.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

George.
gparker
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: George Parker

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:39 am

Hi,

If there's no way to migrate the backup job settings/configuration database from the old Veeam server to the new one
There is. You can perform config backup and import it on your new server.

but what's the best way for me to move/relocate the repository? I want to be able to restore from previous backups if required.
Please check this post.

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 262 times

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere