Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
Marc.H
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Marc Holbe

Snapshot error

Post by Marc.H »

After upgrading VCenter to 7.0 and running ESXi 6.7 and 7.0 in a mixed Cluster I do see the following error once in a while:
04.06.2020 01:13:04 :: Failed to create VM snapshot. Error: CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef vm-183086, timeout 1800000, snName VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT, snDescription Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup., memory False, quiesce False

That happens to more than one VM on the same ESX server at that point of time. Putting that host in maintenance and rebooting solves it for some days. Problem appears randomly on one of the 13 ESX Servers in the Cluster. As mentioned they are both ESXi 6.7 and 7.0 (VCA is on 7.0 latest patch.

Anyone else seeing this problem?

Regards
Marc

HannesK
Veeam Software
Liked: 780 times

Re: Snapshot error

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
for technical issues always contact support and work out a solution with them before posting to the forums... what is your case number please? I also assume that you installed cumulative patch 2?

veeam-backup-replication-f2/rules-of-po ... -t755.html

Thanks,
Hannes

Marc.H
Enthusiast

Post by Marc.H »

Hi Hannes,

yes I have CP2 installed. Sorry no case opened yet. Will do that now.

Thanks
Marc

Marc.H
Enthusiast

Post by Marc.H » 1 person likes this post

Case #04210758

while looking through the list of serves in more details it seems the error only appears on the ESXi 7.0 Hosts. The ESXi 6.7 Hosts seem not to show this error.

I keep the post updated with any news.

PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 69 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Marc,

I would also recommend to open a ticket with VMware support because snapshot creation process is managed by the hypervisor, backup application is only the requestor.

Marc.H wrote:Putting that host in maintenance and rebooting solves it for some days
I think that it makes sense to check ESXi logs (f.e. hostd.log) on timestamps corresponding to backup job failures and look for error messages related to snapshot creation.

I believe you should be able to reproduce the same issue manually by creating snapshot from the vSphere client.

Thanks!

b1gsoup
Lurker
Liked: 2 times

Post by b1gsoup » 2 people like this post

We had a similar issue after moving to vSphere 7. Our issue was resolved with a firmware upgrade to our HBAs on our hosts.