SQL Server Instance Exclusions

VMware specific discussions

SQL Server Instance Exclusions

Veeam Logoby SQLDBA_GDS » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:26 am

Hi All,

We're just implementing VEEAM and have come across some issues in our SQL Server Environment on instances that are no longer running. VEEAM presents OLEDB connection error warnings on these instances. There are other SQL instances running on the same sever so I'd like to exclude the instances and not the servers.

The long term plan is to get rid of those SQL instances, but for now instance exclusion is the desired option.

We've enabled the "EnableDBExclusions" Registry entry to give us the option to exclude databases from the nightly backup jobs, but this requires the addition of a single database to exclude rather than an entire instance.

Also for Transaction Log Backups via the Application aware backups, I know from the Deep Dive Webinar that we need to edit the SqlBackupDatabaseToSkip. However, in the webinar it is demonstrated how to exclude an instance name, a database name on an instance name and a database name with the following entries:-

MSSQLSERVER:;SQL2008R2;:Datawarehouse

If for example we had a SQL Server with three instances on it:-

SQLServer01\Ins1
SQLServer01\Ins2
SQLServer01\Ins3

So my questions are:-

1. How would I exclude the SQLServer01\Ins1 in the full backup overnight job using the Database Exclusions options in the GUI?
2. How would I exclude the SQLServer01\Ins1 instance in that registry key?

Thanks in advance for any help received.
SQLDBA_GDS
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: GDS

Re: SQL Server Instance Exclusions

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:21 pm

Entire instance cannot be excluded via this option, you have to add all the databases. Actually, you can add them in the corresponding Veeam B&R database table (dbo.DataSources) using SQL Management Studio, everything that is specified there is excluded regardless of whether the EnableDBExclusions value is specified.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1082 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby SQLDBA_GDS » Fri May 01, 2015 6:34 am

Thanks for the info foggy.
SQLDBA_GDS
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: GDS

[MERGED] SQL Server Warings

Veeam Logoby panzer » Fri May 15, 2015 9:59 am

After upgrading to Version 8 update 2, I now get a lot of warnings regarding truncing of SQL logs. The warnings are mostly resolved by changing permissions in SQL. However, one of my servers contains 2 instances where only 1 is running. How can I have Veeam trunking the logs in the running databases while ignoring the offline instance?
panzer
Influencer

Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Stig Hanssen

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri May 15, 2015 10:12 am 1 person likes this post

Stig, there's currently no ability to exclude the entire instance, please see above for the possible workaround. And here's an existing thread discussing the reasons of why you started getting those warnings.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1082 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Return to VMware vSphere