Unable to retrieve next block transmission command

VMware specific discussions

Re: Unable to retrieve next block transmission command

Veeam Logoby jpeake » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Gostev wrote:If you are always gettin [0] at the end of the error, then I'd say this is definitely completely different issue (not what was being discussed in this thread above). WAN issues would cause this number to be random every time the job fails, because connection drop is random.

makes sense. my number is always some random block
jpeake
Enthusiast

Liked: 25 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:04 pm

In that case, this is clearly WAN link issue that did not exist before. In fact, 6.5 can sustain much worse packet loss than all previous B&R versions, so the issues must be real bad comparing to how this one link used to work when you had previous B&R versions installed. To be precise, this engine's enhancement was added in B&R 6.1 Patch 1.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2405 times

Veeam Logoby jpeake » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:17 pm

Gostev wrote:In that case, this is clearly WAN link issue that did not exist before. In fact, 6.5 can sustain much worse packet loss than all previous B&R versions, so the issues must be real bad comparing to how this one link used to work when you had previous B&R versions installed. To be precise, this engine's enhancement was added in B&R 6.1 Patch 1.

we just bought Veeam, I wasn't using it for offsite backups before. I had a demo of 6.1, but didn't start doing WAN backups until after I installed 6.5

The connection is a 25Mb cable modem at a branch office. Otherwise rock solid. Connected to our HQ via Cisco ASA site-to-site VPN. The VPN connection is rock stable (currently shows it has been established for 53d : 5h). The users at the remote site use several servers that reside in the HQ, as well as Cisco IP phones, where Call Manager servers are in the HQ. No problems at all with anything else.

I know cable internet can be spotty, but seems strange that only Veeam is having issue. I would expect to see the VPN connection flap if there were serious issues.
jpeake
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby aeccles » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:05 pm

Gostev wrote:If you are always gettin [0] at the end of the error, then I'd say this is definitely completely different issue (not what was being discussed in this thread above). WAN issues would cause this number to be random every time the job fails, because connection drop is random.

Hi Gostev,

I just got a few of these messages that ended with [0] for the same job over the weekend. My jobs are set to auto-retry, and this error does not come up the second time the job runs. Any ideas what might be causing it? My repository is a windows server and it's going over a WAN link via VPN. I monitor that link and don't show any packet loss or high latency.

*edit - forgot to mention I am using 6.5
thanks

Thanks,
Aaron
aeccles
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:18 pm

Aaron, have you already contacted support with this issue?
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1131 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby aeccles » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:43 pm

foggy wrote:Aaron, have you already contacted support with this issue?

Hi foggy,

No I have not done that. I was hoping someone had a some background on this and I could save a little time :)

If that's what I should do I'll go ahead and open a case.

Thanks,
Aaron
aeccles
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times

Veeam Logoby jpeake » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:50 pm

I worked with support re: the issue and never got it resolved. WAN connection is the scape-goat. It usually completes during the retry, so i just live with it.
jpeake
Enthusiast

[MERGED] : Failed backups

Veeam Logoby RLPITSOttawa » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:01 pm

Hi,

We've been having an issue with one of our backups. We have one backup for extreemly vital information that is set to run every hour that usually works but sporadically it fails with the error, Error: Client error: End of file Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [0]. On occasion the houerly backups will fail consequtively 2 or three times in a row but usually the failiure occurs once a day.

This is on a LAN connection backing up a virtual SERVER2008 machine with the veeam backup software SERVER2008 running on the same ESX host backing up to another non-virtualized backup server running SERVER2008 on the same LAN

Need some insight on this matter
RLPITSOttawa
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: RLPITS Ottawa

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:19 pm

As it’s been already mentioned, this issue is almost certainly related to the network drops. So, if I were you, I would doublecheck it first.

Furthermore, feel free to open a ticket with our support team and let them take a closer look at your backup infrastructure.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1020 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby zak2011 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:35 am 1 person likes this post

I am getting the same error for the past two days for my exchange VM. However I have not observed any network drops. A case has been also opened for the same.
zak2011
Expert

Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Arun

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue May 07, 2013 11:43 am

Arun, kindly please update this thread with the results of the investigation (as you usually do ;)), as we are very interested to hear the outcome. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1131 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue May 07, 2013 7:22 pm

...or just include the support case ID so we could follow your support case.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2405 times

Case # 00203616

Veeam Logoby zak2011 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks Gostev..mentioned the case id above... I am sure support will definitely help in resolving this as always :)
zak2011
Expert

Veeam Logoby zak2011 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:54 pm 1 person likes this post

Okay, support had asked me to use Wireshark to capture network packets from the source proxy. I am not sure if they could find anything from this.
However the job using a Linux proxy as a backup repository. This VM was using the VMXnet3 driver. Network drops were observed between the source proxy and the Linux proxy.
After changing the drivers from VMXnet3 to E1000, the job seems to be running proerly.
However it seems unknown the reason as to why the job used to work previously with the VMXnet3 driver and had to be changed.

Thanks!
zak2011
Expert

Veeam Logoby zak2011 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:28 pm 3 people like this post

Here the facts laid out by support which resolved the issue.

a) As per the logs sent the connection broke between the source and the target agent.
b) based on the setup we figured out, that the problem is most likely in the target.
c) based on the fact that I saw more issues with vmxnet3 NICs than E1000 I recommended to try switching the NIC type which has helped.
d) Now based on the Fact that changin the NIC type help, we can guess that most likely it is either the driver or the OS issue.
e) My next idea was to redeploy the linux VM from other distributive let's say CentOS and assign it a E1000 NIC. And see how it handles the incoming network IO.

Hope this helps,

Thanks
zak2011
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere