Unable to retrieve next block transmission command

VMware specific discussions

Unable to retrieve next block transmission command

Veeam Logoby Mark Muyskens » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:29 am

Hello,

I am trying to setup Veeam to use an Amazon EC2 instance as a backup repository and I am running into the following type of errors;

Error: Client error: Connection reset by peer Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [210419].
Error: Client error: Connection reset by peer Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [316108].

Is anyone familiar with this type of setup? Does this seem like a network type issue? Would moving from a micro instance to a larger instance at Amazon provide me with more network resources and resolve this issue?

Anyone care to take a stab?
Mark Muyskens
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Muyskens

Re: Backing up to Amazon EC2

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:37 am

Yes, usually this type of errors is caused by the unstable network connection.

Please include your support case ID number as explained when you click New Topic.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1078 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] Deduplication Storage: "Connection reset by peer"

Veeam Logoby garufo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:50 am

Hello,

We are having several backup fails in our environment (Case # 00134265). We have a Veeam Backup 6.1 patch 1 (virtual machine), and we use a Storage Deduplication Appliance (Fujitsu CS800) as a repository, attached by as a NFS resource to a Red Hat Linux virtual machine in the same VMware 4.1 environment.

The CS800 NFS resource is with the deduplication active. 2 weeks ago we had errors in the backups that we assumed that were about the Storage Array where the virtual machines are running because we had an incident in the storage. For this reason we had to reconfigure all the backup tasks in a no deduplication resource, all the jobs where running in the right way. Last week we where "moving" the backup files to a new repositoy in the CS800, another NFS resource in the Red Hat virtual machine, but with deduplication active. This weeked had started again the errors:

Error: Cliente error: Connection reset by peer. Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [9811]
Busy: Source 13%> Proxy> 6%> Target 89%

(and similiar errors always, changing the number of processed blocks). Sometimes it stopped in a virtual disk, sometimes in another. There are 2 tasks at least with that error.

We had do the following troubleshooting:

- Disable multiple TCP/IP in global traffic throttling.
- Backup task options: Inline deduplication: disabled. Compression: NONE. Backup type: LAN

We are now again with Veeam support trying to find out what is happening.

Any suggest??

thanks in advanced
garufo
Novice

Full Name: Garufo

Re: Unable to retrieve next block transmission command

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:43 am 1 person likes this post

Most likely, this is caused by network connection drops.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby garufo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:24 am

Thank you, we are trying a troubleshooting about it,

thanks
garufo
Novice

Full Name: Garufo

[MERGED] End of file Unable to retrieve next block transmiss

Veeam Logoby George » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi Guys,

I have seen other posts regarding this error but was wondering if you could help me out.

I have a Veeam Server running on Windows with a Linux repository, I'm running on 6.1 and at the moment i get this error during the middle of the job. Its running just fine for a while then stops. Not sure what could be causing it everything on the network looks fine.

The errors message i get is: End of file: Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks:

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
George
Influencer

Full Name: George

Veeam Logoby mgd5 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:14 am

Hi,

We experience the exact same error. have you found any resolution to the issue
Code: Select all
Error: Client error: Connection reset by peer Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [723354]

MGD
mgd5
Influencer

Full Name: Christer Sundqvist

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:16 am

Hi Christer, what is the network connection to your repository? Are you using a WAN link?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1099 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby mgd5 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:00 am

Hi

No it´s set to LAN Target.
mgd5
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:02 am

Yes, but what is your backup repository? Where is it located? According to the error message, the connection doesn't seem to be very stable.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1099 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby mgd5 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi

Our Backup Rep is a Linux gateway witch has mounted NFS share from our Datadomain box. I have seen the same error when we had the linux gateway had a NFS mount to a physical linux box. The backuprepositorys we use are virtual.

Christer
mgd5
Influencer

Veeam Logoby jpeake » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:18 pm

I am having this same error in 6.5 when backing up to our remote site over WAN. It happens on one or two servers per job. If I retry, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Working with support, they advised to use network mode on the proxy for that job (i set up a new proxy in network mode, and pointed that job at it). I tried this over the weekend, and sure enough the job completed without error.

Curious to see if this actually fixes it. Will report back after a few more jobs run
jpeake
Enthusiast

Liked: 25 times

Veeam Logoby topry » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:33 pm

We have started seeing these errors since the upgrade to 6.5 (not before) and no other upgrades/changes other than the upgrade.
We receive this error primarily while backing up one VM, yet it shares the same SAN/iSCSI network as all of our 3 hosts and the frequency is never more than once per day, 4-5 days out of 7.

All backup sets are using SAN and other than this periodic issue, everything else works normally and test restores before/after this error show no problems. Veeam is installed withing a VM and the host and SAN are connected via dedicated gigabit switch for all iSCSI traffic with 6 ports on the SAN and 4 each per host. No other indications of network issues.

The specific error we receive is:
Code: Select all
Error: Client error: End of file Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [0]

If anyone has any suggestions on what else to check/how to track this further.
topry
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim O'Pry

Veeam Logoby jpeake » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:43 pm

I tried running in network mode, as suggested by support. It worked over the weekend, but last night's inc failed with the same error. So i am back to the drawing board.

This has only ever happened on my "offiste" job, which is across a WAN. The local job has been solid
jpeake
Enthusiast

Liked: 25 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:51 pm

If you are always gettin [0] at the end of the error, then I'd say this is definitely completely different issue (not what was being discussed in this thread above). WAN issues would cause this number to be random every time the job fails, because connection drop is random.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Next

Return to VMware vSphere