Unable to retrieve next block transmission command

VMware specific discussions

Re: Unable to retrieve next block transmission command

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:01 am

However, I'm starting to wonder whether standard backup jobs are more sensitive to connection imperfections (delayed packets etc).

Yep. Backup jobs are less stable against network issues than WAN accelerated backup copy jobs are, as the latter were designed specifically for WAN type of connection that is notoriously known for delayed packets, drops, etc..

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1006 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Jamie Pert » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:34 am

But also could it be said that in some ways that even on a LAN the standard jobs could benefit from WAN accelerators?
@jam1epert on Twitter
Jamie Pert
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jamie Pert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:36 am

WAN acceleration is available for backup copy jobs only, not for ordinary backup jobs.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby leebtish » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:14 am 1 person likes this post

Hi all,

I contacted support and asked or the case to be escalated as I wasn't happy with the initial response and I'm still convinced the upgrade has caused the problem. There seem to be a number of posts on here where the problem started after an upgrade. I then had a response from a Veeam engineer who advised that a number of similar cases had been reported and Veeam were investigating. I wouldn't mind betting that there will be a fix for this at some point.

That being said, I decided to try one of the options advised by support:
Select Traffic Throttling from the Veeam Console > Un-tick "Use multiple upload streams per job"

So far, since this change, the issue has not re-occurred. Backups are taking about the same time as well. I'm monitoring this for a few more days before confirming all OK with support. So far so good!

Hopefully this bit of information may help someone else :)

Cheers

Lee
leebtish
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Lee Russell

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:03 am

Lee, thanks for sharing, much appreciated!
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] : Replication errors

Veeam Logoby zak2011 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:58 am

For some strange reason my replication jobs only for Exchange servers are failing with the following error

Error: Client error: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
Exception from server: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [104684].
Failed to process [srcReplicateVddkDiskContent] command.

I have tried to explicitly select the source and the target proxies.
At the DR site, the proxies are using network mode.
Also tried removing the meta data of the replica at the backup repository.
Also the DNS name of the vcenter has been added to the host file of the target proxies.
Any other possible reasons why replication fails ?

Thanks
zak2011
Expert

Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Arun

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:08 am

Hi, Arun. I’m wondering whether you’re using “Traffic throttling rules” or “Multiple TCP connections”. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby llogan6906 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:08 pm

I too have had this issue pop up off and on while using version 6.5 and replicating to a secondary office. It would always retry and 90% of the time would complete on the retry.

Upgraded to version 7 yesterday and all my replication jobs failed with this error and did not complete on retries. I have change the "Select Traffic Throttling from the Veeam Console > Un-tick "Use multiple upload streams per job" setting and am going to see if that fixes the issue tonight.

My thought would be something has definitely changed in the code that is more sensitive to network latency or something. Also, there was a KB1781 about changing the registry to try to fix this issue, but it doesn't say on which server that setting needs to be changed. Is it on the server hosting Veeam, the Veeam Proxy, or the server that is having the error show up during processing?

Anyway. I will try to update tomorrow on the status of the change in upload streams per job.
llogan6906
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Luke Logan

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:08 am

llogan6906 wrote:Also, there was a KB1781 about changing the registry to try to fix this issue, but it doesn't say on which server that setting needs to be changed. Is it on the server hosting Veeam, the Veeam Proxy, or the server that is having the error show up during processing?

As far as I know, it should be implemented on the target side. However, your issue seems to be different from the one discussed there.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby llogan6906 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:22 pm

Update to post from the 21st...

The replication worked with no connection errors. It did, however, take about 8 hours longer than normal. I am chalking that up to the larger window of time that had passed since the last successful replication and therefore more changed blocks to process. I will find out when it runs again tonight. Another odd thing for me was that 98% of the bottleneck was the Target when in past replication jobs it has always been the Network holding things up (around 60%).

I'd still like any input possible on why that setting would need changed after the upgrade to version 7 as that baffles me.

Thanks for the help!
llogan6906
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Luke Logan

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:06 am

It did, however, take about 8 hours longer than normal. I am chalking that up to the larger window of time that had passed since the last successful replication and therefore more changed blocks to process.

I would also check whether CBT was used. Without CBT VB&R uses its proprietary mechanism, reading the whole VM image in order to find changed blocks. It, in its turn, results in longer than usual replication time.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Shralok » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Jamie Pert wrote:We had that on offsite copy jobs lee. Once again opting to use WAN accelerators fixed the issue. Obviously this doesn't massively help you as yours is backing up to a location on the same LAN.

However, I'm starting to wonder whether standard backup jobs are more sensitive to connection imperfections (delayed packets etc). We used to use standard copy jobs to backup to offsite repositories, but since Veeam 7 we have had to opt for backup copy jobs with the use of WAN accelerators - this has ran like a dream.

Jamie, would you mind elaborating on your backup setup?

What type of schedule do you have in terms of a Backup job, and then the Backup Copy job that uses the WAN accelerator?

Do you just do a straight Backup Copy job?

Thank you
Shralok
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Shralok

[MERGED] Win7 backup fails

Veeam Logoby oz42 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:51 am

Hello,

case no. 00534652

a backup of a single Windows 7 machine fails always:

Code: Select all
Processing 'win7' Error: Client error: End of file Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [2468]. Failed to perform data backup. An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

Any ideas? B&R version is 7.0.0.839, the machine is backed up via virtual Veeam Proxy on ESX A to the virtual backup machine on ESX B.

Strange is: when I remove the Win7 machine from the backup group and try to add it again, the machine ist displayed as running, but it is shut down.

Olaf
oz42
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Olaf Zaplinski

Re: Win7 backup fails

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:54 am

Hi Olaf,

What backup mode are you using to backup this VM? Do you have only one VM with this behavior?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby oz42 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:00 pm

Hi,

this is one out of two Win7 machines in the same group with that behaviour. I am just checking if it is because the VMware tools version on this machine is newer than the ESXi version (5.5. vs. 5.1).

Olaf
oz42
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Olaf Zaplinski

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere