Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
v.eremin
Product Manager
Liked: 1318 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: VM moved to new vCenter

Post by v.eremin » Oct 17, 2016 10:52 am

Based on my understanding of the algorithm, the tool should address that use case as well, because in a nutshell the situation is not different - VMs got new MorefIDs assigned. Thanks.

bahooo
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: bahadir selin

[MERGED] VMotion and Veeam

Post by bahooo » Oct 25, 2016 11:06 pm

Hi,
We have more than 50VM in 3 hosts in a VCenter.
We are usually doing power off servers because of maintenance. But, after I switched to VM, before power off host, I moved 15 VMs to other host. But, after that, Veeam began not to backup data of that VMs. As I quick read from some of web site, I should add VMs to backup job again, and backup job should backup full.
But I cannot imagine in Huge Companies like having more than 200VMs or more.
So, I have found some SQL command to create a script but, it looks like so manual. Hopefully, Veeam has a solution and make my day.

thanks.

Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 574 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: VMotion and Veeam

Post by Mike Resseler » Oct 26, 2016 5:18 am

Hi Bahadir,

I might misunderstand you but are you saying that when you vMotion a VM to another host Veeam doesn't backup the VM anymore? How are the objects been added to the backup jobs. Via vCenter or via a standalone host?

If they are added through vCenter, there should be no issues with vMotion

Thanks
Mike

dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: VMotion and Veeam

Post by dellock6 » Oct 26, 2016 8:53 am

Sounds indeed like you added VMs from the single host. The best practice is to add VMs from vcenter, so that Veeam can use the vcenter morefID (the identifier of a VM) which doesn't change after a vmotion. ESXi IDs are recreated each time a vm is registered in a host, like after a vmotion. If there is vcenter, we use vcenter IDs instead of ESXi IDs.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2019
Veeam VMCE #1

VladV
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Post by VladV » Oct 28, 2016 5:22 am

Will this tool need to be updated to support VCSA 6.5 when it will be released?

I am asking because we usually go with a full reinstall of vCenter when major releases take place thus losing Moref IDs.

Thanks

v.eremin
Product Manager

Post by v.eremin » Oct 28, 2016 9:49 am

Will this tool need to be updated to support VCSA 6.5 when it will be released?
It's something we'll need to test, once 6.5 goes GA. Thanks.

aman4God
Influencer
Full Name: Stanton Cole

[MERGED] 5.5 to 6.0 migration recommendations

Post by aman4God » Nov 08, 2016 2:41 pm

I have a Veeam implementation right now that spans two environments, one 5.5 and one 6.0. We have been trying to gracefully migrate machines in chunks between environments by sharing storage, shutting them down and then bringing them up in 6. I am not a VMware expert, so forgive me if I am missing the technical details of everything happening there. The problem is that this is taking too long... We want to perform more mass migrations, but need to ensure we don't overwhelm the storage with Veeam backups as a result of changing the Server ID on all the servers at one time and creating mass full backups.

This is where my questions come in:
Is there a way to do this without changing the Server ID on the quests?

If the Server ID changes will it cause a full backup or is Veeam smart enough to roll with it?

What is the recommended method for migrating in bulk servers between environments?

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1481 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Nov 08, 2016 2:55 pm

VM ID change results in a full backup. However, you can look at the re-mapping utility discussed in this thread and check whether it is applicable to your scenario.

northeast100
Novice

[MERGED] vCenter Migration Toolkit

Post by northeast100 » Nov 10, 2016 7:16 pm

Has anyone gone through the new vCenter Migration Toolkit to bring their Windows based vCenter to the SUSe/Postgres db vcenter(https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/deta ... rPId=12934)and have veeam still able to backup the VM's with keeping all ID's etc? Very curious as we're thinking of doing this. I'm sure their would be some veeam re-config due to a new vcenter name, but we're curious if veeam would get confused by thinking all the VM's were new.

Thanks.

v.eremin
Product Manager

Post by v.eremin » Nov 11, 2016 9:55 am

Most likely, you will need to leverage the tool discussed in this thread, so that, no new full backups are created after migration. Thanks.

Carko
Novice

Post by Carko » Nov 26, 2016 2:27 pm

For anyone in the similar situation, I would like to report that the tool does not work when migrating machines from standalone ESXi hosts to vCenter Server.

Although it does not report an error, it simply does not find any source VMs so the resulting migration task file is empty.

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » Nov 28, 2016 11:18 am

Yes, I'd expect the tool to be tailored for vCenter to vCenter migrations.

douglas.carson
Service Provider
Full Name: Douglas Carson

[MERGED] migration to new vCenter

Post by douglas.carson » Dec 02, 2016 11:10 am

Hi Guys,
I am going to be building a new vCenter and want to move my hosts to this new vCenter.
I am currently performing backups and replications(replicas are in the same VC but clusters are in different DCs)
What is the official way to migrate to the vCenter. I know there is the migration tool but this states it is not supported by support.
The second thing is how will the migration affect by replicas?

Thanks

DC

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » Dec 02, 2016 11:40 am

Hi Douglas, you can review this thread for the answers. Basically, after migration you would need to re-add VMs to the jobs, since their IDs will change. This will result in full VM data read during the next job run. If you want to avoid that, you can use the mentioned migration tool to match the new IDs with VMs stored in Veeam B&R database.

csinetops
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: csinetops

[MERGED] VCenter upgrade

Post by csinetops » Dec 07, 2016 1:56 pm

I am planning on upgrading my VCenter version from 5.5 to 6 tomorrow and ESXi version to 6 on all my hosts in the next few weeks.

Anything I should be aware on the Veeam side post upgrade? I assume that all I need to do is remove the old VCenter server from Veeam and add the new one or will that mess something up?

I did read that I could keep the same VCenter name as long as I rename the current VCenter VM name in VCenter before I run the upgrade. Thoughts?