VMFS, RDM or iSCSI as backup repository

VMware specific discussions

VMFS, RDM or iSCSI as backup repository

Veeam Logoby m0ps » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:20 pm

Hi All!
I'm trying to figure out the best way to present Nexenta's iSCSI lun as backup repository for Veeam B&R.
We have 10Tb NexentaStor iSCSI lun, on which we want to store backup's. If I'm correct understand, there is 3 ways to do that:
1) Mount iSCSI lun in ESXi, format is as VMFS. Add vmdk located on this VMFS to VM. In guest OS format it as NTFS and create backup repository on it;
2) Mount iSCSI lun in ESXi and add it to VM as RDM disk. In GuestOS format it as NTFS and create backup repository on it;
3) Mount iSCSI lun directly to GuestOS and format it as NTFS and create backup repository on it.
Which is the best one?

Thanks in advance,
Maxim
m0ps
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Maxim Kursin

Re: VMFS, RDM or iSCSI as backup repository

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:29 am

The third one, as the restoration process in this case would be easier in comparison with first two options. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:10 pm

Here is an existing topic that is worth looking through > Don't Store Backups on VMFS...But why not?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Thernlund » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:48 am

v.Eremin wrote:The third one, as the restoration process in this case would be easier in comparison with first two options. Thanks.

I'm going to resurrect this to ask a question here...

If that's the best option, how do you backup the Veeam server itself? A per my understanding, you can't snapshot/backup a VM that has in-guest iSCSI going. Mine is giving me all kinds of headaches for this very reason.

Soooo...?

-T.
Thernlund
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Terry Hernlund

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:19 am

You can snapshot/backup the VM that has in-guest iSCSI connected disks, those are automatically skipped during processing.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1079 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Thernlund » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:11 pm

Oh?

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micro ... Id=1009073

If you are using Microsoft's iSCSI initiator within the virtual machine, you cannot perform snapshot operations on the virtual machine because it is not supported.

^^ That's the exact headache I'm having, and I've extended the wait to to unreasonable lengths.

-T.
Thernlund
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:30 pm

This KB is somewhat contradictory:

Using the snapshot manager through VMware Infrastructure (VI) Client to take a VMware snapshot of the virtual machine works without error.

Anyway, it does work as I've mentioned: disks are just skipped from processing, the rest of the VM can be backed up fine.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Thernlund » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:38 pm

That's not how I read the article. The part I quoted and the part you quoted are in two different contexts. The context of your quoted line speaks to a troubleshooting step. Mine speaks to a result.

As a whole I read it to be saying that taking a snapshot in the VI Client works, but any other way doesn't and it is not supported. I don't know why that would be, but that appears to be it.

In any case, I get that exact error message when trying to backup a VM with in-guest iSCSI connections. I guess I should open a ticket?
Thernlund
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:51 pm

Actually, Veeam B&R calls VMware API to take a snapshot so this shouldn't be any different from taking it via vSphere client. Btw, is application-aware processing enabled in the job settings? And yes, opening a case is also appreciated.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Thernlund » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:12 pm

Yes. App aware processing is enabled, and does in fact process my Exchange and SQL logs.

I'll open a ticket when I get a chance.
Thernlund
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Thernlund » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:31 pm

I just now stumbled upon what might be the issue... On this same server I have GFI Mail Archiver. Apparently there are some issues with that, and I'm not the only one to have them.

http://feedback.gfi.com/forums/267750-g ... -veeam-b-r
http://forums.gfi.com/Veeam-Backup-for- ... 20342.aspx
vmware-vsphere-f24/gfi-mail-archiver-t26246.html

Sounds like I'm going to have to work out some kind of script solution to shut down GFI-MA before the backup and bring it up after.

I honestly don't know how I didn't figure this out sooner. Looking in the wrong places I guess. <facepalm> I guess I'll pile on to the complaints over at GFI and hope they concoct some solution eventually. :-/
Thernlund
Enthusiast

Return to VMware vSphere