vSphere 6.5U2 support

Discussions specific to VMware vSphere hypervisor

vSphere 6.5U2 support

Veeam Logoby m0ps » Fri May 04, 2018 2:24 pm

Is there any official position of Veeam regarding just released vSphere 6.5U2? Is it safe to upgrade vCenter and ESXi hosts, or we need to wait for new Veeam B&R release?
m0ps
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Maxim Kursin

Re: vSphere 6.5U2 support

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri May 04, 2018 2:52 pm

We have not had a chance to deploy and test it yet, as it was literally just released. Normally updates do not require any code changes from us, as typically they bring nothing but bug fixes and minor enhancements. Nevertheless, we recommend that you wait until we update our QC labs and run it through the paces. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2564 times

Veeam Logoby m0ps » Fri May 04, 2018 3:06 pm

Ok, and when you will update your QC lab? Is there any ETA, so we can plan to update our installation to 6.5U2?
m0ps
Novice

Full Name: Maxim Kursin

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri May 04, 2018 3:10 pm

We plan to update the lab next week. Cannot provide any ETA at the moment, just keep an eye on this thread - we need to let it roll for some time and will let you know if we see any issues.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1288 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby jamerson » Sat May 05, 2018 8:56 pm

AS i understand now, we cannot update to the U2 6.5 neither to 6.5 until VEEAM tested this ?
jamerson
Expert

Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Julien

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sun May 06, 2018 5:31 pm 1 person likes this post

It's up to you. Some people choose to jump these minor updates the day they are released. For obvious reasons, there's some risk involved with upgrading to new platform versions before they've been thoroughly tested and declared as officially supported. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu May 10, 2018 2:26 pm

UPDATE: Our auto-tests have exhibited one potentials issue with 6.5 U2 which may reduce reliability of a number of Veeam Backup & Replication features dependent on the corresponding protocol. Having said that, the issue is only reproducible in our stress testing lab where we emulate a heavy environment load, meaning for those who already upgraded these issue will likely exhibit "random" behavior which is in reality tied up to peak load in the environment. We're opening a support case with VMware - and I will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Saad » Thu May 10, 2018 8:03 pm

i am one of the people who jumped to that release .. and yes since i have upgraded vcenter and esxi hosts to 6.5u2 i've been having issues with replication jobs with veeam proxies not being able to hot add vmdks and its random and it falls back to network mode . proxies are a mix between 2008 R2 and 2012 R2 fully patched. and in this case i'm not sure if its related to the vcenter 6.2u2
Saad
Novice

Full Name: Saad

Veeam Logoby bmcdonald » Mon May 14, 2018 5:44 pm

Gostev wrote:UPDATE: Our auto-tests have exhibited one potentials issue with 6.5 U2 which may reduce reliability of a number of Veeam Backup & Replication features dependent on the corresponding protocol. Having said that, the issue is only reproducible in our stress testing lab where we emulate a heavy environment load, meaning for those who already upgraded these issue will likely exhibit "random" behavior which is in reality tied up to peak load in the environment. We're opening a support case with VMware - and I will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks!

Is this only with the ESXi update or does it also happen with the vCenter update? We're looking at updating vCenter to 6.5U2 for now and holding off on completing the update to the ESXi hosts until Veeam gives an all clear but if issues have been seen with the vCenter update as well then we'll hold off.
bmcdonald
Lurker

Full Name: Brian McDonald

Veeam Logoby cdbarnes » Mon May 14, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi all,

Unfortunately, we also jumped to 6.5U2 and are now encountering issues with random failures with our SQL transaction log backups. Currently working with Veeam Support but we haven't really pinned down a definitive answer to what is causing the job to fail.
cdbarnes
Lurker

Full Name: Christopher Barnes

Veeam Logoby rgreen83 » Tue May 15, 2018 3:43 pm 1 person likes this post

This really needs to be a priority for Veeam to release a fix and not wait until whatever next update that supports 6.7, the 6.7 upgrade is a manual deliberate process, going to 6.5U2 isn't. If you simply use VUM to install security patches etc you will end up with 6.5U2 so Veeam is asking folks to forgo security patches to be supported on their product. I understand what VMware does is outside the control of Veeam and time is needed for testing and fixing if necessary, I'm just requesting that fixes not languish waiting for other things. The distance between patches for product support and fixes has grown far too long in the past couple years while Veeam holds things back waiting for new features to be ready. I do though greatly appreciate the communication from Gostev and others here so at least we aren't in the dark.
rgreen83
Service Provider

Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Ryan Green

Veeam Logoby niteb » Wed May 16, 2018 2:24 pm

Also there is probably an issue with adding vcenter to veeamone. It shows credentials problems. The same cred on vcenter 6.5 u2 works fine.
niteb
Lurker

Veeam Logoby marcvanhoutum » Thu May 17, 2018 7:48 am 1 person likes this post

We've noticed some issues with application aware processing when a VM has the VMWare tools installed that come with vSphere 6.5u2 (version 10305). Veeam seems unable to deploy the Vix guest helper application inside the VM.

Downgrading VMWare tools seems to resolve the issue.
marcvanhoutum
Lurker

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marc van Houtum

Veeam Logoby andrie » Fri May 18, 2018 6:45 am

I can confirm problems with SQL / Exchange.

On Exchange servers our customer gets the following error message:
Unable to truncate Microsoft Exchange transaction logs. Details: Failed to call RPC function 'Vss.FinishSnapshot': Error code: 0x800401fd. Failed to invoke func [FinishSnapshot]: Object is not connected to server.

On SQL servers, the error message is:
Enumerating SQL Server databases
Failed to call RPC function 'Vss.ExploreInstances': Error code: 0x800401fd. Failed to invoke func [ExploreInstances]: Object is not connected to server.

Support case is opened, Case #03010946
andrie
Novice

Full Name: Andy

Veeam Logoby spiritie » Sat May 19, 2018 5:33 pm

rgreen83 wrote:This really needs to be a priority for Veeam to release a fix and not wait until whatever next update that supports 6.7, the 6.7 upgrade is a manual deliberate process, going to 6.5U2 isn't. If you simply use VUM to install security patches etc you will end up with 6.5U2 so Veeam is asking folks to forgo security patches to be supported on their product. I understand what VMware does is outside the control of Veeam and time is needed for testing and fixing if necessary, I'm just requesting that fixes not languish waiting for other things. The distance between patches for product support and fixes has grown far too long in the past couple years while Veeam holds things back waiting for new features to be ready. I do though greatly appreciate the communication from Gostev and others here so at least we aren't in the dark.

The problem with 6.5U2 is that VMware has back-ported a few features from 6.7 into this update.
So this isn't just another "small" update, but actually quite big one.
spiritie
Service Provider

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Gert van Niekerk

Return to VMware vSphere