Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3209 times

Re: vSphere 6.7 U1 Support

Post by Gostev » Jan 09, 2019 4:35 pm

lazman wrote:
Jan 09, 2019 12:29 pm
Maybe it would be appropriate to write it in large letters on your site.
Well, to be fair, we say this in big splashes with large red letters all over the web site (product download area, support section, customer portal etc.) and they were there since day 1... this is our standard approach, we did this for every previous "breaking" vSphere release as well.

rarens
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Reinhard Arens

Post by rarens » Jan 09, 2019 9:44 pm

Hi,

look my last post ... can I get an answer please?

Thanks a lot

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3209 times

Post by Gostev » Jan 10, 2019 2:18 am

Hi Reinhard, for answers on any technical issues you should contact support directly. Thanks!

rarens
Influencer
Full Name: Reinhard Arens

Post by rarens » Jan 10, 2019 9:32 am

Hi,

I only want to confirm, if the registry hack does not help, if I directly backup the server.
Manuelly started the job and same problem, but this night scheduled start worked for me.

Only for information if someone has the same problem.

Best regards

reinhard

wishr
Veeam Software
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » Jan 10, 2019 11:20 am

Hi Reinhard,

As Gostev suggested, please reach out to our support team for comprehensive assistance if you still experience the issue and B&R server reboot did not help. The hotfix should work in this scenario.

Regards,
Fedor

trippinnik
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nik Tripp

Post by trippinnik » Jan 10, 2019 5:35 pm 1 person likes this post

ikbarbero wrote:
Jan 08, 2019 7:53 pm
Imho, 90 days support timeframe is reasonable for a quality product like Veeam. My experience with other vendor is terrible, there are one that claim support the day after but then simply don't work, and another one that don't support new updates for months.... Maybe could be positive to have a beta program where clients can register and be able to update before RTM, for sure not for production. Most vendor, even vmware, have something like that.

PS: I open support case asking if it's possible to access early RTM bits for our testing enviroment.
No, still the only vendor we are waiting on. Zerto, Nimble, nVidia all ready to go. We need that Vmotion with Grid support like 4 years ago and this is the only thing holding us back.

indi
Service Provider
Full Name: Andreas Wiren

Post by indi » Jan 10, 2019 7:54 pm

So, we got an issue regarding replication. Starting multiple replications jobs, in our case atleast 5 jobs, kills the vpxd process on the vCenter appliance.

Running vCenter 6.7.0.20100 with external PSC. Veeam 9.5.01922 with the regfix for the 6.7.1 API.

Backups run fine, replication kills vCenter.

I have an open case with VMware but would like to know if this is a confirmed issue/limit somehow?

indi
Service Provider
Full Name: Andreas Wiren

Post by indi » Jan 10, 2019 9:23 pm 1 person likes this post

Was likely fixed by disabling and re-enabling storage DRS on our pre-v6.5 created DSC's, which were used as targets for replication jobs. PodConfig.SpaceLoadBalanceConfig.MinSpaceUtilizationDifference gave an error while disabling SDRS but that was fixed.

Replication works again, yay!

dustinn3
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Dustin Newby

Post by dustinn3 » Jan 11, 2019 9:20 pm

trippinnik wrote:
Jan 10, 2019 5:35 pm
No, still the only vendor we are waiting on. Zerto, Nimble, nVidia all ready to go. We need that Vmotion with Grid support like 4 years ago and this is the only thing holding us back.
That's my main reason for wanting to upgrade to 6.7 U1 as well. Funny, vmware told me a few years ago that it would be impossible to ever vmotion with Grid because it would be equivalent of removing and replacing the video card on a physical pc and Windows would crash. Still, I'm not rushing to install it because I'd rather let everyone else test it out first.

adtww
Lurker
Full Name: Adrian

Post by adtww » Jan 14, 2019 12:27 am

After updating to 9.5 u4, should we remove the registry key (6.7.1 = 6.7) ?

Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software
Liked: 577 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert Director of Product Management Global Alliances

Post by Andreas Neufert » Jan 14, 2019 5:36 am

@reinhard,
please contact support or check latest forum digest to get fully supported Update 4 RTM version.

Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software
Liked: 577 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert Director of Product Management Global Alliances

Post by Andreas Neufert » Jan 14, 2019 7:05 am 1 person likes this post

adtww wrote:
Jan 14, 2019 12:27 am
After updating to 9.5 u4, should we remove the registry key (6.7.1 = 6.7) ?
Yes, you can remove this setting and you should. Please restart the Backup Service afterwards. If the reg key will be present we will treat the new Update 1 like the normal 6.7 version which is compatible but I guess there are many optimizations done by VMware in their development kit and us for Update 1. So removing it would be a good idea.

Novox
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times

Post by Novox » Jan 14, 2019 2:20 pm 9 people like this post

I have come to appreciate Veeam’s commitment to quality, especially given the importance of an error free backup infrastructure. Imagine how my opinion would change were I to receive releases sooner, but which broke my backup infrastructure (and potentially prior backups).

Alternatively, you could start to dread Veeam’s “patch Tuesday.”

Microsoft recently had disastrous results releasing Windows 10 October Update (1809). That release deleted some user’s files in addition to little quirks like not reconnecting network drives. After it was finally re-released in November, issues like not reconnecting network drives still weren’t fixed…

Just last week, Microsoft released an “Important” (automatically installed using “recommended” settings) update for Windows 7, which in some cases, deactivated genuine windows activations and/or broke windows networking.

It’s worth noting that in the examples above, Microsoft broke their own products. They did not have the additional burden of integrating with third party software.

How many days to wait for a quality release is a matter of opinion, so I won’t try to convince anyone of anything. Personally, I consider ~90 days reasonable.

Thank you,
~Bill

mcz
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz » Jan 14, 2019 2:33 pm 3 people like this post

lazman wrote:
Jan 09, 2019 12:29 pm
I was new with your product and with the update to 6.5 I updated after 1 month about not knowing your timing. I found myself with the backup not working and I had to reinstall 4 esxi hosts. It's the first time in 20 years of work that such a thing happened to me.
Why didn't you check the official documentation or asked support if the version was supported? That should have been done first!

Aurelio
Lurker
Full Name: Aurelio Lombardi

Post by Aurelio » Jan 15, 2019 2:38 pm

Gostev wrote:
Jan 09, 2019 4:35 pm
Well, to be fair, we say this in big splashes with large red letters all over the web site (product download area, support section, customer portal etc.) and they were there since day 1... this is our standard approach, we did this for every previous "breaking" vSphere release as well.
I ran into the same issue and I did check your website for information in advance, but to be fair I did not see any big splashes with large red letters all over the web site!!
To check compatibility you request that I check the download page of a product that I have already downloaded and installed and where I did know in advance that the last change and update was done in December 2017!
Why would I regularly check the download page if the software itself informs me if an update is available!
This is a serious issue and should be on the front page!