Discussions specific to the Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor
wishr
Veeam Software
Liked: 187 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Failed to create VM recovery checkpoint

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Fernando,

Correct, with the "Take crash-consistent backup instead of suspending VM" option the application running inside will not be prepared for backup and that might cause issues with restores, so you may want to leave this setting unchecked. However, since it's pfSense, you may want to take a look at this thread mentioning a few possible issues with restores that are related to the initial pfSense deployment method. Additionally, I'd recommend checking if BIS driver package is installed and up to date.

Please, also note that AAIP is not supposed to work with FreeBSD since it's not supported by Microsoft VSS, so Hyper-V Quiescence should be the way to go in this case.

Thanks!

Rabbit
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Julia

[MERGED] Backup Failed

Post by Rabbit »

Hi experts, I have run the back up for two weeks and everything is fine for the first week after some setting has been updated. But starting from this week, the backup for one of the virtual machines failed. Below is the errror:

Code: Select all

3/2/2020 7:53:02 PM :: Failed to create VM recovery checkpoint (mode: Veeam application-aware processing) Details: Job failed ('Checkpoint operation for 'XXX' failed. (Virtual machine ID xxxxxxxxx)
Production checkpoints cannot be created for 'xxxxxxxxx'. (Virtual machine ID xxxxxxxx)'). Error code: '32770'.
Failed to create VM recovery snapshot, VM ID 'xxxxxxxxxx'. 
3/2/2020 7:53:13 PM :: Transaction logs will not be truncated 
3/2/2020 7:53:18 PM :: Retrying snapshot creation attempt (Failed to create production checkpoint.) 
3/2/2020 7:53:18 PM :: Task has been rescheduled 
3/2/2020 7:53:18 PM :: Queued for processing at 3/2/2020 7:53:18 PM 
3/2/2020 7:53:23 PM :: Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Job failed ('Checkpoint operation for 'XXX' failed. (Virtual machine ID xxxxxxxx.
What I have done differently this week is to attach two drives on the host. When adding the backup repositories, the attached drives were formatted to REFS 64KB. Please advise how to fix the error! Thank you!

HannesK
Veeam Software
Liked: 782 times

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I merged your question with the existing thread. Maybe you find something useful.
Please advise how to fix the error!
please contact support and post a case number for reference. Please understand that this is not a support forum

Best regards,
Hannes

wishr
Veeam Software
Liked: 187 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hello Julia,

If you are unable to create a production checkpoint manually and keep getting the same error, we would strongly recommend raising a ticket with Microsoft support.

Thanks

fsr
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Fernando Rapetti

Post by fsr »

Hi,

I just had this issue with one of the remaining Windows Server 2008 R2 VMs, and i could circunvent this issue by shutting down the guest, then the snapshots and backups work. And when i turned the guest on again, the production snapshot did also work! No need to restart the Hyper-V Host. (just restarting the guest doesn't fix it, you need to take a snapshot with the guest off).

Regards

Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 323 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Interesting workaround, thanks for sharing!
/Cheers!