Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Error after vSphere update

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you create a snapshot manually for the VMs that fail in the replication job?

Anyway, you need to make sure that your datastores support max files size to host a snapshot. If you cannot make any changes to the datastore configuration, then try to use a WorkingDir parameter to workaround this limitation.
JohnGG
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John G

Post by JohnGG »

That max filesize is 2TB (DR Site), ill read the thread to see what workdir is and how to do it (I read it on vmware site but it doesnt explain how to use the WorDir="" to another ESXI Server datastore). I dont have much space for a manual snapshot for one of the servers so thats why im using veeam. There is only 6 GIG left on one of the datastores so would this cause an issue?
The DR site has over 5TB of room left so that shouldnt be an issue.

thanks for reply mate.

Just read this thread here https://support.software.dell.com/kb/SOL76519
So because the C:\ drive and vmx is on a datastore with a 1 meg block size 256 max file size, the other drives E: on a datstore of 8 meg block size wont work because that is a 2tb max file size (What a pain in the ***). is there any other way around this? So a vmotion of the vmx & vmdk to another datastore would have to be performed hey?
Cheers
JohnGG
Enthusiast

Post by JohnGG »

Actually we dont have the vmotion license so would cloning do the same thing (Just disable the NIC on the DR clone) and then make sure everything is ok and then enable the NIC and start from there?
if these are stupid questions, this is all new to me as far as moving vm's.
JohnGG
Enthusiast

Post by JohnGG »

Just a quick one, i used vmware convertor to copy the C:| drive to another datastore and then mapped it, i then fired that server up and it threw a relationship error with the domain controller. is this a common issue?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

JohnGG wrote:I'll read the thread to see what workdir is and how to do it.
This KB article should provide you with more details on how workdir parameter can be changed.
There is only 6 GIG left on one of the datastores so would this cause an issue?
It's a composite issue. The said datastore doesn't support the snapshot of the given size (<2tb). Also it doesn't even have a space to locate other snapshots that are required for successful work of VB&R, as they are used during backup/replication activities.
Actually we dont have the vmotion license so would cloning do the same thing (Just disable the NIC on the DR clone) and then make sure everything is ok and then enable the NIC and start from there?
You can use built-in VB&R functionality called Quick Migration in order to migrate VMs between hosts, datastores or both.

Thanks.
JohnGG
Enthusiast

Post by JohnGG »

Yeah thanks for the reply mate, i did look at the migration but i couldn't see (In advanced) where to deselect the second vmdk. I only needed to copy the vmdsk that the vmx sits on because thats the one causing me the issue. Im not sure what went wrong but when i used the vcenter convertor and then added the second vmdsk (E: drive) and then started the server it threw the relationship error with the domain controller. Now the thing that worries em is if it does this will my mailserver and also the domain controller its self im screwed. Im going to try the same thign again today and if that doesnt work atleast i should be able to migrate the whole server to my DR using the migration.

Cheers JG
JohnGG
Enthusiast

Post by JohnGG »

I sorted my issue out, i included the ":Final Sync" option in vmware vcenter Convertor. my trial lic has run out so i have asked for another one so i can make sure this all works before purchase. Anyway thanks for the help/hints.
grahamuk2011
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Graham King

Post by grahamuk2011 »

Hi,

I am having an issue with replication as I get the error "Creating helper snapshot Error: File is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore '
Error: File is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore '"

I am using Veeam version 700.839 and ESXi 5.5 update 1 on the source and target for the replication. The datastores all use VMFS 5, the source uses an 8MB block while the destination uses a 1MB block. do I need to format the destination data store with an 8MB block to get this working?

Thanks,

Graham
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Graham,

Yes, both source and target datastores should be formatted in the way these datastores can support max file size described in VMFS maximums document. VMFS 5 file system removes the limitation that is discussed in this topic. Starting from vSphere 5 snapshot is created next to each virtual disk of the VM, so I'm not sure why you still have this error message.

Can you please tell me if you've upgraded your target datastore file system or it was a clean install?

Thank you!
grahamuk2011
Novice

Post by grahamuk2011 »

It was an upgrade, so should I format the datastore again with a 1MB block or an 8MB block?

Thanks,

Graham
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Based on the KB article from VMware, you should re-format your datastores to 1 MB block size as upgrade does not change block sizes:
VMware KB wrote:My upgraded VMFS-5 does not have a 1MB block size. Why?

Upgraded VMFS-5 partitions will retain the partition characteristics of the original VMFS-3 datastore, including file block-size, sub-block size of 64K, etc. To take full advantage of all the benefits of VMFS-5, migrate the virtual machines to another datastore(s), delete the existing datastore, and re-create it using VMFS-5.

Note: Increasing the size of an upgraded VMFS datastore beyond 2TB changes the partition type from MBR to GPT. However, all other features/characteristics continue to remain same.
grahamuk2011
Novice

Post by grahamuk2011 »

I will try this and post back the results.

Thanks,

Graham
easton
Novice

[MERGED] Error backing up large VM

Post by easton »

Hello,

I am trying to backup a VM with a used size of 1.3 TB and a provisioned size of 2.5 TB. These are being backed up to a 4 TB external hard drive. I receive the error "file <unspecified file> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore <unspecified datastore>". I've googled this error and everything I've read says that the block size needs to be changed on the datastore. We've never had issues with the actual datastore on which the VM resides, so it appears to me to be an issue with the external hard drive. The hard drive is NTFS and I am running this on Windows 7 64-bit. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Are you able to snapshot this VM via vSphere Client?
easton
Novice

Post by easton »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Are you able to snapshot this VM via vSphere Client?
Currently, taking a live snapshot freezes the system.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The error refers to the source datastore, make sure your datastore supports maximum files size to host a snapshot of that VM.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Also what vSphere version you're at?
easton
Novice

Post by easton »

foggy wrote:The error refers to the source datastore, make sure your datastore supports maximum files size to host a snapshot of that VM.
Would I have to change the block size of the datastore?
Vitaliy S. wrote:Also what vSphere version you're at?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You either need to change the block size of the source datastore, which will require reformatting, or upgrade VMFS version to the latest one. Please see Foggy's link above for more info.
Kirchner1990
Novice

[MERGED] destination drive is too small but backup isnt

Post by Kirchner1990 »

Hi together,

I have a problem concerning VeeamZip. I want to backup with VeeamZIP or Veeam Backup and Replication to an external disc.
- The source disc is for example a 4 TB VMware Volume (ESX)
- The Destination disc is a 3 TB external disc
- The files on the source disc is 1 TB.

The Problem now is, that the backup always says this: "File <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore '<unspecified datastore> Creating VM snapshot"
Veeam seems to check the size of the source disc and if it COULD fix. It does not try it.

Can I bypass this check?! If veeam would simply make the backup, then it would fit the Destination 3 TB drive :-( but it doesn't
And I can't shrink the source without spending a lot of work and time for it.

Thanks for your help!!
Greetz, Valentino
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Valentino,

The provided error doesn't say anything regarding backup destination, instead it refers to production datastore the given VM resides on.

For more information, kindly, check the answers above.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you cannot reformat/migrate to another VMFS version, then using Veeam Endpoint Backup might be a good workaround for that.