Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
csarli
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Károly Pacséry

Veeam Endpoint Backup and Truecrypt

Post by csarli »

Hi!
I tested the file restore on a Truecrypted Win7 32bit laptop. Everything is went good (backup, restore) before the Truecrypt Encrypt System Partition install.
After this I can't restore individual files. Error msg. after importing backup: "No disks have been mounted. Either disks of this type aren't supported or some errors occured. See log file for details."
Strange if made bare metal restore looks like working while the Truecrypt is disappear.
Could I restore files from encrypted partition?
Backup is made by Entire computer.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Endpoint Backup and Truecrypt

Post by Dima P. »

Károly,
I am sorry, but encrypted volumes are not supported.
csarli
Influencer

Post by csarli »

:( Is it working with file level backup?
I think intelligent people don't use laptop without encryption... How could your big boss use VEB on his laptop? :)
Could be this a feature request?
csarli
Influencer

Post by csarli »

I tested, and the file level backup look like is working with Truecrypt.
Andy C
Influencer
Full Name: Andrew Crumpton

Post by Andy C »

The file restore doesn't work on a PC with PGP Whole Disk Encryption - "No disks have been mounted" error.
csarli
Influencer

Post by csarli »

Andy C wrote:The file restore doesn't work on a PC with PGP Whole Disk Encryption - "No disks have been mounted" error.
How did you do the backup? Try it with File level and only check the Personal files at the objects.
Andy C
Influencer

Post by Andy C »

I cant do a backup of just the personal files as it says there is nothing to backup.

I have completed a backup of the Personal files and the Local Disk C (which it automatically selects when you check the Personal Files option).

This backup completed but I still can't restore files from it with the same error.
csarli
Influencer

Post by csarli »

Did you deleted all previous backup before made the Personal files backup?
Andy C
Influencer

Post by Andy C »

I didn't, but how would previous backups affect a new File Level Backup?

Surely deleting the vbm, vbk and vib files would make no difference to the control panel as the backups would still be visible (yet not accessible) as the details are saved in the repository.

If i'm wrong then surely creating the File Level Backup in a new location would do the same job?

Thanks.
csarli
Influencer

Post by csarli »

I think yes. But as I realized If you move the backup folder content to a new folder name, VEB will find it and do normal incremental backup.
I think you need to start new full backup. The delete is sure. :)
Andy C
Influencer

Post by Andy C »

I have deleted all past backups and completed a new File Level Backup to include just the Personal Files and C:\Users folders but still cant restore any files from the backup.

Also I have just performed a full backup on a PC with a True Crypt encrypted disk and the File Restore worked fine. Must be PGP.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Wanted to give a hand and test TrueCrypt from an end-user perspective, but it seems that the last version I downloaded (7.2) does not provide the ability to create encrypted volumes. Moreover it contains multiple warnings like this: WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues.

Also noticed a few pointers to the windows built in Bitlocker, which is by the way supported even in the current BETA. In the GA we will add additional care for all existing Bitlocker users for both backup and restore procedures. :wink:

So guys, I wonder, is using TrueCript still valid - maybe it is the right time to switch to the windows native tools?
Andy C
Influencer

Post by Andy C »

Hi Dmitry,

As far as I am aware Truecrypt is still considered a secure method of encryption for now. The warning on the Truecrypt website is simply to notify us the developers have stopped supporting the software so any flaws found in the software in the future will not be resolved. The version 7.2 is just decryption software but you can still find 7.1 if you know where to look.

Having said this whilst I wouldn't recommend anyone to start decrypting every Truecrypt drive to start implementing another solution, for those yet to start or those that could easily replace a couple of Truecrypt drives, it is definitely worth exploring the alternatives.

I currently have a mix of PGP (now Symantec) and Truecrypt drives and have found whilst Truecrypt allows for file and volume restores PGP does not. I am currently testing Kaspersky Endpoint Encryption which I hope will replace both Truecrypt and PGP.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Andrew,

Great! Thank you for the heads up (now I know what version I need for the test :wink: )
darkhelmet
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by darkhelmet »

d.popov wrote:Wanted to give a hand and test TrueCrypt from an end-user perspective, but it seems that the last version I downloaded (7.2) does not provide the ability to create encrypted volumes. Moreover it contains multiple warnings like this: WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues.

Also noticed a few pointers to the windows built in Bitlocker, which is by the way supported even in the current BETA. In the GA we will add additional care for all existing Bitlocker users for both backup and restore procedures. :wink:

So guys, I wonder, is using TrueCript still valid - maybe it is the right time to switch to the windows native tools?
Today i filed a support case (00714654):
I made a backup of a Windows 8 Ent installation. Volumes were encrypted with Bitlocker. Was able to do a baremetal recovery without a problem. Did a restore from an incremental.

So the backup seems useable, but...

I tried to do a file level restore at a different Windows 8.1 Ent install, but from the same backups. Doesnt work 100%. The directory tree is visible, but lots of files are missing. Most dirs are empty. tried the full and incremental, but no luck.
Some directories do contain files, for example the Windows directory.
Also opening it from Windows Explorer gives the same result.

Support said Bitlocker isnt supported, but you say otherwise. Is it, or is it not?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

darkhelmet,

We are working to bring the complete BitLocker support in GA, however in the current BETA only bare metal restore is working properly. Thank you for the case ID, we will look into the errors you received.
mcafeej
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jesse McAfee

Post by mcafeej »

I would like to state that I have fully tested my backup & restore while using TrueCrypt 7.1a. Using TrueCrypt 7.2 is NOT a supported software for encrypting or creating new Encrypted File Systems, it can only decrypt now, Try to find TrueCrypt 7.1a as that will be what works.

The backup I made was after my partition was encrypted and not before. I was even able to restore my laptop backup files to a VM without any issues.
darkhelmet
Influencer

Post by darkhelmet »

d.popov wrote:darkhelmet,
We are working to bring the complete BitLocker support in GA, however in the current BETA only bare metal restore is working properly. Thank you for the case ID, we will look into the errors you received.
thank you for the feedback
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Great! Thank you for the heads up!
The backup I made was after my partition was encrypted and not before. I was even able to restore my laptop backup files to a VM without any issues.

If I am not mistaken, the TrueCrypted partition is a simple file, which resides on regular volume – so yes it backup/restore should be working fine. The only thing you cannot do for sure – is to run a file level recovery from the TrueCrypted volume.
Jan1
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by Jan1 »

Hi,
Is there any hope that VEB will run a file level recovery from the TrueCrypted volume ? In my company we use TC and it would be fine to have that possibility because backup all TC volume (when we need backup only one directory from TC volume)takes time, space etc.

Regards,
Jan
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jan,

No plans for now. With current set of functionality you need to FLR the whole TrueCrypted volume file.
Jan1
Influencer

Post by Jan1 »

Thanks for answer Dmitry,
You do grate job. But my TrueCrypt volume files sometimes take 1TB so unfortunately I have to find another backup program.
I think in such application (VEB) you have to implement some encrypt solution.
Truecrypt is good is good start point because it is safe, easy, free software.
Maybe I am TC "addicted".

Regards,
Jan
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jan,
Thank you for being honest. Just out of the curiosity have you considered switching from TrueCrypt to windows built-in Bitlocker? Thank you.
Jan1
Influencer

Post by Jan1 »

Dmitry,

As I remember to use Bitlocker you have to have Windows in Enetrpise or Ultimate version. Many small companies have version Professional sometimes even Home. From the same reason (price) they use TrueCrypt. Additional TrueCrypt is comfortable for me because I can open TC volume in windows and in linux. Sometimes I use TC to move backups, important data on portable disk.
I still try to use TC and VEB because I think it is good software.

I discovered that if you want to put backup TO TrueCrypt volume you have to create in TC volume directory and share it (in permission you have to add SYSTEM) in VEB you have to choose as a destination network location and set shared folder from TC volume.
I still can't do backup FROM TrueCrypt volume.
If you (or somebody) have any idea how to do it I will be grateful.

Jan
darkhelmet
Influencer

Post by darkhelmet »

Windows 8 Professional also has the Bitlocker functionality, so not limited to Enterprise or Ultimate....
jeancharles
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jean-Charles DEMARQUE

Post by jeancharles »

To allow restoring files from the truecrypt partition you would need instant recovery and mount in truecrypt the container with the appropriate key selected.
Indeed Bitlocker is included in Professional version of Windows 8, Bitlocker to Go still requires Enterprise I think.
For bare metal recovery it would work as the TC container is a file that VEB has not to mess around with, at the worst you could launch a "portable truecrypt" to allow mounting the TC container.

I would definitely more work on Bitlocker and maintained products as Kaspersky or PGP, TC will eventually be taken over or fail.
csarli
Influencer

Post by csarli »

Anybody tried VeraCrypt with VEPB? The on of the Truecrypt replacement. https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/
matyke
Novice
Full Name: Martin Paulik

Post by matyke »

I tried Veracrypt with file based volume, but it worked same as with Truecrypt.
Full backup worked fine, but incremental backups didn't backup file volume, mounted or dismouned.
Jan1
Influencer

Post by Jan1 »

Any ideas how to backup selected folder from mounted TC file volume or TC encrypted partition (non system) ? I still can't do it.
matyke
Novice
Full Name: Martin Paulik

Post by matyke »

I found how to backup TC file volume: on unmounted volume manually change date/time on file, then it will backed up once.