Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
danoarx
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adnan Riaz

Feature Request - Backup Pause / Resume

Post by danoarx »

Would be nice to have pause / resume and cancel / resume. It would be nice to have this feature if you cancel or pause a backup and then resume it.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request - Backup Pause / Resume

Post by Dima P. »

Adnan,
This functionality is nice to have indeed. I’ve been thinking that pause could not last forever and at some point application should throw an error. How do you think what supposed to be an appropriate pause time before backup will fail? Thank you.
danoarx
Enthusiast

Post by danoarx »

I would say maybe 15 minutes. Like if you are backing up the system and have something important to take care of, you can pause it and then resume it in 15 minutes. Or maybe you can add another option Cancel / Resume. So if you have to do something for longer than 15 minutes, you cancel the job and then resume it later instead of running the backup from the start.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Understood.
Like if you are backing up the system and have something important to take care of, you can pause it and then resume it in 15 minutes.
But how about throttling? It should take care of the Endpoint resource usage, so even if you start some huge application, it will continue to slowly run in the background.
danoarx
Enthusiast

Post by danoarx »

Yes, throttling would work. But Resume funtionality is really important. The backup job sometimes fails and then you have to start over again. Resume or Retry (like in Veeam Backup) would be great.
danoarx
Enthusiast

[MERGED] Feature Request - Resume / Retry

Post by danoarx »

Would be nice to Resume the failed backup jobs, as in Veeam Backup you can "Retry" failed jobs.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Re: Feature Request - Resume / Retry

Post by Dima P. »

Adnan,
We have a built in retry option even in the BETA (3 times every 10 minutes). It will be improved in GA.
danoarx
Enthusiast

Post by danoarx »

This resume functionality is really important as I am yet to complete a backup of my machine. It keeps on failing at different % with the error
Error: The system cannot find the file specified. Failed to write data to the file [F:\VeeamBackup\Backup Job MYVD\Backup Job MYVD2015-01-15T105425.vbk]. Failed to download disk. An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

There is not much log available to troubleshoot this problem. I am backing it up to a USB drive. If there was a resume option, I would have used it.
danoarx
Enthusiast

Post by danoarx »

Understood, but there need to be a manual retry. I have yet to complete a backup. It fails at different times. If it had Retry option it would have been a great help.
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Post by ninjaburn81 »

Since the software does not support multiple backup jobs, then having a "Retry" button in addition to the "Backup Now" button that is on the main page is redundant. If you want to retry a failed run, just click the Backup Now button.

Or is it more a wording issue for the button?
ninjaburn81
Expert

Post by ninjaburn81 »

As an end user, Pause/Resume to me would be exactly that...you click pause, which freezes the backup in a stable state. Resume then continues from that point.

Resume when you get an error (as in this case) isn't really feasible since who knows what state the backup file is in, and would you really want to trust it anyway?

As for this error...do you have another external drive, or better yet a network share you can test and see if the same issue occurs? It almost sounds as if your drive is timing out, but need more info. You may also want to open a case, and then post it to the board so others who get this error will know what is up.
travisdhahn
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Travis Hahn

Post by travisdhahn »

I would also request these features / on my test machine I need to do some other project and the Endpoint Backup was running and slowed my interaction down. Having the ability to pause/resume would solve those times.

I know I can schedule the backup to run at different time(s) but the scenario is there to be an issue
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Guys, Pause/Resume option is one feature request, but resume from the failed backup is another which sounds for me like a usual retry. Agree?
ninjaburn81
Expert

Post by ninjaburn81 »

d.popov wrote:Guys, Pause/Resume option is one feature request, but resume from the failed backup is another which sounds for me like a usual retry. Agree?
Agreed!
danoarx
Enthusiast

Post by danoarx »

I have a case open with the support. Let's see if they can figure why my backups are failing. That drives works fine with other software so I don't think the drive is bad.
danoarx
Enthusiast

Post by danoarx »

Agreed, they are separate requests. But again Retry from a failed backup would be a great feature.
danoarx
Enthusiast

Post by danoarx »

"Backup Now" has a different functionality. It starts the backup from the start, Resume/Retry should resume from the point where it failed. I have yet to complete a backup of my system. It keeps on failing at different points and then I have to start from 0. Retry would have helped.
ninjaburn81
Expert

Post by ninjaburn81 »

Adnan:

I believe the 'retry' feature has been noted, but now the bigger concern is why you cannot even get a backup to WORK.

Have you opened a ticket with support on this? Have you reviewed the log files? Are you receiving any specific errors? What/where are you backing up? Please share with the community and Veeam Tech Support and hopefully your multiple failure issues can be resolved.

EDIT: I just saw your post on the other topic that you have opened a ticket. Can you supply the case id and update us with how it is going? Definitely curious why you are failing all over the place.
danoarx
Enthusiast

Post by danoarx »

The case no. is 00728403. There is not much progress on it yet.

I have installed Veeam Endpoint Backup on VirtualBox VM running Windows 8.1. Trying to back it up on a USB drive.
ninjaburn81
Expert

Post by ninjaburn81 »

Thanks Adnan. Could you post the case to the Admins can monitor it as well, and any major updates please post...it may help others having a similar problem! :)
danoarx
Enthusiast

Post by danoarx »

Where do you want me to post it? There is no progress yet. The support is very slow to respond.
ninjaburn81
Expert

Post by ninjaburn81 »

In this thread should be fine, unless the Admins want you to open a new thread.

And support is running off of a new model for this product, "email-only"...the tickets go into a separate queue that is reviewed when techs have time, so yes, there will be a delay, so please be patient. :)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Adnan,
Give them a chance – they’ve just received an update from you yesterday.

Problem might be related to VirtualBox VM disk format. Can you post the virtual disk details i.e. used format / dynamic or fixed ? Thank you.
danoarx
Enthusiast

Post by danoarx »

Haven't heard back from them yet. I believe when we open the ticket it sends them the logs. Not sure if they saw something in the logs.

I don't think it is disk format issue as the backup starts fine, sometimes it fails after about 30GB, sometimes about 90GB, so it is not consistent.
ninjaburn81
Expert

Post by ninjaburn81 »

Did you ever test to a network share?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Adnan,
I am sorry to hear that. I’ve asked QA team directly to take a look at your case and once I hear any update – I’ll let you know.
danoarx
Enthusiast

Post by danoarx »

I am trying to backup to shared folder but it keeps on saying invalid username or password.
danoarx
Enthusiast

Post by danoarx »

I was able to go past that screen. But backup to shared folder also keeps on failing, it fails after about 6-7GB.
ninjaburn81
Expert

Post by ninjaburn81 »

danoarx wrote:I am trying to backup to shared folder but it keeps on saying invalid username or password.
Known bug, credentials are not being properly passed so you MUST manually enter username/password.

And at least you can confirm type of media being targeted doesn't matter. Did you update your ticket with this info above?
danoarx
Enthusiast

Post by danoarx »

I have not heard anything back from the support yet therefore I have not updated my ticket.

I think they are not even working on it. BTW I am a customer of Veeam Backup and Replication since a couple of years and I worked with your support to fix alot of issues with it a couple of years ago. But for this Veeam Endpoint, I am not getting that good support.