Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

[NEW BUILD] Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE RC

Post by Gostev » 3 people like this post

Thank you very much for your time testing Veeam Endpoint Backup BETA. Your involvement has helped us to improve the original code dramatically!

I am happy to present you the first Release Candidate build of Veeam Endpoint Backup, as well as the pre-release version of Patch #2 for Veeam Backup & Replication v8 which enables the long-awaited integration between VEB and VBR. These are not final builds (we still have a few more weeks to go), but we are making them available now to make sure all the new functionality gets additional field testing before GA. You will find that compared to the beta, we have added a significant amount of new features based on your feedback – so hopefully this will make the testing more fun!

New features

New Veeam Endpoint Backup features include:
• Backup directly into Veeam backup repositories.
• Full support for Bitlocker drive encryption on backup and restore.
• Ability to control power state of the computer after daily backup.
• "When backup target is connected" event (former "On storage attach" event) now supports both USB drives and remote storage, and triggers when you connect to a network from which your remote backup target is reachable.
• Metered internet connections are now detected and not used to perform backup to remote targets.
• More smart way of handling retries (both in scheduler and UI).
• Customizable backup destination folder.
• Support for rotated USB drives.
• Backup is automatically prevented from starting when a device is running off battery and battery level is less than 20%.
• Slightly improved backup performance (local data movers "talk" over shared memory, as opposed to network sockets).
• Recovery Media enhancement (virtual keyboard w/multi-language layout support, USB 3.0 devices support).
• New shiny setup!

New B&R features around integration include:
• Restore guest files and application items from endpoint backups.
• Export physical disks contents from backup into VMDK/VHD/VHDX virtual disk files.
• Basic monitoring and management of all incoming backups, including email notifications to B&R admins about endpoint backup status.
• Ability to assign end users permissions on individual backup repositories (permission settings dialog becomes available upon the first connection attempt from Veeam Endpoint Backup to a B&R server, before that it can be accessed by Ctrl-right-clicking the backup repository).
• Traffic throttling settings from Global Network Traffic Rules now apply to Veeam Endpoint Backup jobs as well.
• Support for endpoint backups in Backup Copy and Backup to Tape jobs.
• Ability to encrypt endpoint backup stored in Veeam backup repositorites.

Important notes

• Because of significant changes in both configuration and backup formats, we cannot provide backward compatibility for backups, or an in-place upgrade from BETA code. Please, remove Veeam Endpoint Backup BETA using Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs first before installing this RC build.

• For the same reasons, we may not be able to provide the upgrade to RTM build, and/or ability to restore from RC backups in RTM build. So please, do not assume that such compatibility will be available.

• The provided pre-release version of Patch #2 can only update Veeam Backup & Replication servers installed less than 24 hours ago. We have put this restriction in place to prevent accidental updates of production servers with the pre-release code. Please install a separate Veeam Backup & Replication server if you want to test the integration.

Known issues

• Waking up a computer for a daily backup broke just before the RC build (we will fix this by RTM).

Download links

Make sure you are logged on to the Veeam web site before following these links:
Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE RC (build 1.0.0.1921)
Veeam Backup & Replication v8 Patch #2 RC (build 8.0.0.1274)

As always, we are very much looking forward to your feedback around new and existing functionality - it's not too late for us to address minor issues!
grzegorz
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Greg

Re: [NEW BUILD] Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE RC

Post by grzegorz »

Thank you! Very good information. Download started.
Grzegorz B.
mweglein
Lurker
Full Name: Mike Weglein

Post by mweglein »

The download link takes you back to the Forum page....no download.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Mike, you need to be logged in to our website first, and then click on the download link provided in this topic. Thanks!
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Post by marius roma »

What do you mean "Support for rotated USB drives."?
How can I enable it?
Regards
marius
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You can register multiple USB drives under Known Removable Media and just rotate them as needed, taking some of them offsite etc.
TommyB
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Post by TommyB »

Gostev wrote:You can register multiple USB drives under Known Removable Media
I can't find anything labeled "Known Removable Media"

Do you mean "Settings"->"Manage registered backup storage devices"?

If yes, there is only an empty list and not UI element to add or change anything... is this already supposed to be working?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Thomas,
The USB rotation is activated if you specify the USB target as a destination in the backup configuration wizard (You need to go to Configure Backup > Local storage > Destination and choose the USB device). Once done you can register new USB devices as a part of rotation schema in the Known Removable Media manually or by clicking Backup now with having another USB drive attached.
DJTroost
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by DJTroost »

Hi Is there a way to bypass the Patch error?

The provided pre-release version of Patch #2 can only update Veeam Backup & Replication servers installed less than 24 hours ago. We have put this restriction in place to prevent accidental updates of production servers with the pre-release code. Please install a separate Veeam Backup & Replication server if you want to test the integration.

I've setup a test server last week that I want to use :(....
TommyB
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Post by TommyB »

DJTroost wrote:Hi Is there a way to bypass the Patch error?
How about changing the current date/time of the machine back to last week? :D
DJTroost
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by DJTroost »

TommyB wrote:How about changing the current date/time of the machine back to last week? :D
Good suggestion Tommy why didn’t I think of this in the first place :). The setup is running now. For those who don’t know the exact installation date you can see it at the creation date of the directory "C:\Program Files\Veeam"
ken.wilson
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ken Wilson

Post by ken.wilson »

When you say "Backup directly into Veeam backup repositories." can you use a Veeam Cloud connect repository directly? or do I need to connect to the Veeam server that has it connected first?
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

Hate the 24 hour thing as I want to install it on a PROD server to test. Any way around this? Tried setting the date thing but that don't work.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Not possible, this patch is in RC state and therefore this is specifically added to prevent people from breaking things in production.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

ken.wilson wrote:When you say "Backup directly into Veeam backup repositories." can you use a Veeam Cloud connect repository directly? or do I need to connect to the Veeam server that has it connected first?
You will have to connect to the Veeam server locally first as explained in http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-endpoint- ... 26676.html
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
ken.wilson
Service Provider

Post by ken.wilson »

vmniels wrote:You will have to connect to the Veeam server locally first as explained in http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-endpoint- ... 26676.html
Can I request to have this added to the roadmap for future releases? This would be a great feature and cut out the need to connect to the Veeam server first.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you can and you have just done it via forums ;)
A for Anonymous
Novice

Post by A for Anonymous »

Unfortunately, the download link is not working for me at all, I get an error saying the website redirects incorrectly/loops.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Are you logged in to our website (veeam.com) when you click on the download link?
A for Anonymous
Novice

Yes, I am. The link redirects me to http://www.veeam.com/message.html?retur ... up/ep1_rc/: and then I get the error "The page isn't redirecting properly" in Firefox. Get the same thing in Chrome, too, just with a slightly different error that says the same thing.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I have successfully downloaded the bits right now. Will forward this feedback to our web team for further review.
ken.wilson
Service Provider

Post by ken.wilson »

The download is working for me. I downloaded it this morning and again right now at another location. I would try it on another machine and make sure you are logged into Veaam.com first.
A for Anonymous
Novice

Actually, I think I know the issue here. I want to download this as an end user (since I intend to use this on my personal PC, not my corporate PC), I signed up using my Google account (Which is different from my forum account because I don't want to have my posts indexed with my real name on the internet), but my profile appears to be incomplete. I now tried to make the profile complete, but like a majority of private, personal email accounts, I use an @gmail.com address (I didn't use one for this profile, but I can't use that one for the proper account), which the Veeam website rejects... May I recommend adding a toggle "Use: Personal/Commercial", allowing the blocked address for the former accounts?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Forum account and website account are not connected to each other, so you should not be worried. I will forward your feedback to our web site team.
Eryk4381
Novice
Full Name: Eric Schroeder

Post by Eryk4381 »

Is there any update on full release?
Also, I would like to deploy this using SCCM or a GPO if possible. Has anyone got this to work successfully yet with Deploying, Setting up a backup schedule, and pointing the backups to the a Veeam repository on a server?
A for Anonymous
Novice

Vitaliy S. wrote:so you should not be worried.
I'm not, because of the way I set it up. :) I just explained that it is set up that way because otherwise it might seem strange. :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Eric, what kind of update on the full release you're after on top of the timelines provided in the first post of this topic?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

A for Anonymous wrote:Unfortunately, the download link is not working for me at all, I get an error saying the website redirects incorrectly/loops.
We have a few thousands of downloads by now, and they are keep happening every minute, so this must be something on your end.
Eryk4381
Novice
Full Name: Eric Schroeder

Post by Eryk4381 »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Eric, what kind of update on the full release you're after on top of the timelines provided in the first post of this topic?
Ha. Besides the fact I didnt fully read the "a few more weeks" :)
Sorry about that.
A for Anonymous
Novice

Gostev wrote:We have a few thousands of downloads by now, and they are keep happening every minute, so this must be something on your end.
It's definitely the issue with the account I described above. I bypassed this now by configuring a forwarding address, But if you intend to go into the end user segment (as is evident from you guys creating Endpoint Backup) you should really fix up your website to allow non-corporate individuals with non-corporate email addresses to sign up. Not everyone is as motivated as I am. :) And also, the Website shouldn't do that weird redirection loop if an account is in the same state that mine was in.