Thank you very much for your time testing Veeam Endpoint Backup BETA. Your involvement has helped us to improve the original code dramatically!
I am happy to present you the first Release Candidate build of Veeam Endpoint Backup, as well as the pre-release version of Patch #2 for Veeam Backup & Replication v8 which enables the long-awaited integration between VEB and VBR. These are not final builds (we still have a few more weeks to go), but we are making them available now to make sure all the new functionality gets additional field testing before GA. You will find that compared to the beta, we have added a significant amount of new features based on your feedback – so hopefully this will make the testing more fun!New features
New Veeam Endpoint Backup features include:
• Backup directly into Veeam backup repositories.
• Full support for Bitlocker drive encryption on backup and restore.
• Ability to control power state of the computer after daily backup.
• "When backup target is connected" event (former "On storage attach" event) now supports both USB drives and remote storage, and triggers when you connect to a network from which your remote backup target is reachable.
• Metered internet connections are now detected and not used to perform backup to remote targets.
• More smart way of handling retries (both in scheduler and UI).
• Customizable backup destination folder.
• Support for rotated USB drives.
• Backup is automatically prevented from starting when a device is running off battery and battery level is less than 20%.
• Slightly improved backup performance (local data movers "talk" over shared memory, as opposed to network sockets).
• Recovery Media enhancement (virtual keyboard w/multi-language layout support, USB 3.0 devices support).
• New shiny setup!
New B&R features around integration include:
• Restore guest files and application items from endpoint backups.
• Export physical disks contents from backup into VMDK/VHD/VHDX virtual disk files.
• Basic monitoring and management of all incoming backups, including email notifications to B&R admins about endpoint backup status.
• Ability to assign end users permissions on individual backup repositories (permission settings dialog becomes available upon the first connection attempt from Veeam Endpoint Backup to a B&R server, before that it can be accessed by Ctrl-right-clicking the backup repository).
• Traffic throttling settings from Global Network Traffic Rules now apply to Veeam Endpoint Backup jobs as well.
• Support for endpoint backups in Backup Copy and Backup to Tape jobs.
• Ability to encrypt endpoint backup stored in Veeam backup repositorites.Important notes
• Because of significant changes in both configuration and backup formats, we cannot provide backward compatibility for backups, or an in-place upgrade from BETA code. Please, remove Veeam Endpoint Backup BETA using Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
first before installing this RC build.
• For the same reasons, we may not be able to provide the upgrade to RTM build, and/or ability to restore from RC backups in RTM build. So please, do not assume that such compatibility will be available.
• The provided pre-release version of Patch #2 can only update Veeam Backup & Replication servers installed less than 24 hours ago. We have put this restriction in place to prevent accidental updates of production servers with the pre-release code. Please install a separate Veeam Backup & Replication server if you want to test the integration.Known issues
• Waking up a computer for a daily backup broke just before the RC build (we will fix this by RTM).Download links
Make sure you are logged on to the Veeam web site before following these links:Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE RC (build 126.96.36.1991)Veeam Backup & Replication v8 Patch #2 RC (build 188.8.131.524)
As always, we are very much looking forward to your feedback around new and existing functionality - it's not too late for us to address minor issues!