Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Re: [NEW BUILD] Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE RC

Post by ninjaburn81 » 2 people like this post

Download working for me. Time to test all over again! :)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Welcome back, Adam! I was expecting to see some feedback from you :)
spyker
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: GG

Post by spyker »

Will there be any integration with v7 of B & R?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

No. Integration will require B&R 8.0 U2 or later.
outsourceis
Service Provider

Post by outsourceis »

Plus one to the cloud connect integration

Thank you
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

I have my Veeam 8 server (Patch 1) which is a physical box. Can this RC build be installed without messing up the VBR files so that I can back up my server daily? Not sure if the Veeam EPC modifies files related to VBR in any way or not. I had issues with Veeam on this box and now that they are fixed want to back it up. :)
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Chris, you can try to install and backup your production Veeam B&R server, however please keep in mind this very important note about RC:
• For the same reasons, we may not be able to provide the upgrade to RTM build, and/or ability to restore from RC backups in RTM build. So please, do not assume that such compatibility will be available.
P.S. if I were you, I would wait till the GA code, or use built-in configuration backup or SQL Management Studio to protect your Veeam backup database.
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

It is not the Veeam database I am worried about as that is on a separate SQL server from my Veeam server. It is the Veeam server itself that I want backed up so that I can create a recovery disc as it works great for laptops.

I think I will wait on the GA code instead as I have seen the RC break things which I want to avoid. Thanks.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Post by ninjaburn81 » 1 person likes this post

d.popov wrote:Welcome back, Adam! I was expecting to see some feedback from you :)
Sorry Dmitry, it's been insane for me elsewhere...firewall, VMware stuff, and slowly getting a new Veeam v8 physical box up and moving (need to start using tape archivals). Too many hats! Nice to be missed though!

Just got the RC installed and will start banging at it to see what shakes out. I'll be around! ;)
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Andre

Post by agrob »

not sure if this was already covered before. with the final version of endpoint backup, can i restore from backups i have done with RC (not with earlier BETA versions)?
thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's covered in the quote 2 posts above yours, thanks!
Brad.Morris
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brad Morris

Post by Brad.Morris »

Any update on when Patch 2 will be released.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

We are aiming to release update 2 by the end of April.
Costy
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Constantin

Post by Costy » 2 people like this post

After having to work and setup Veeam B&R 8 in all possible scenarios, working with Endpoint seems like a kid’s play.
And it does the job.
Now, of course I would like to see some control options from Veeam 8 console like starting endpoint backups and more.
But as it is, it’s a good start.
I am posting this not only to compliment your product but to point to a little (?) flaw that in my opinion has to be fixed.
It doesn’t know how to deal with bad blocks, so it simply fails.
Testing it, I found two perfectly running desktops in this situation. Hard drives scan ok, other tools (offline image) work.
When you find your system drive has bad blocks the first thing you think is a full system backup, to be able to restore it on a new drive.
Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Constantin,
It doesn’t know how to deal with bad blocks, so it simply fails.
We added the ability to identify the bad blocks during the backup process and once it is found, backup will fail, so that’s true. It was done to ensure the backup process would not cause further disk corruption due the multiple consecutive read attempts of the corrupted block. For sure, we are going to enhance the existing functionality, so thank you for your feedback!

Meanwhile, if you notice the entire computer backup is failing during specific volume backup (there should be noticeable error message) – you still can go to the ‘configure backup’ wizard and use the volume level backup mode for the non-corrupted volumes.
GrZeCh
Enthusiast

Post by GrZeCh »

Hello,

does anyone is using Endpoint Backup RC (1.0.0.1921) with File level backup and has unchecked some directories in Files section of backup configuration? I've unselected various dirs on various drives which I'm making backup of and Endpoint Backup is not taking this exclusions (I'm not using advanced exclusions and I'm only unchecking dirs which I don't want to backup) under consideration during backup process. Backup configurarion in Files section is showing me that my backup will use about 285GB but after backup process has been finished it used about 580GB.

Regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you see these files and folders when you try to do the FLR? Can you please confirm you're not using volumes backup (check out this topic > File filters)?
GrZeCh
Enthusiast

Post by GrZeCh »

Ok. Now I've noticed that even if I have selected backup mode "File level backup" and press Next I see next to each volume informatio that it is being backuped as volume level backup. How I can change this? For example I don't want to unselect whole drive because I want to automatically backup all new directories in root directory of each backuped drive and for now only solution for file level backup is unselect volume and select all existing directories which I want to backup but I don't see any automated possibility to backup new directories from root drives. IMHO unselecting at least one directory from backuped volume should switch volume level backup to file level backup with possibility to have selected whole volume from which some folder will just not be backuped.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

IMHO unselecting at least one directory from backuped volume should switch volume level backup to file level backup with possibility to have selected whole volume from which some folder will just not be backuped.
File level backup is much slower. If you want to backup only root files and folders, whiteout selecting the existing folders why not to use the volume level backup (selecting volume) and uncheck the sub root folder?
GrZeCh
Enthusiast

Post by GrZeCh »

This is how I've configured backup job. I have volume checked and I've excluded few dirs from it by unchecking them in dir tree but they are still being backuped.

Objects to backup shows about 280GB but backup size is about 570GB because exluded dirs has been backuped also.

EDIT: and yes when I'm trying to restore files I can see that directories which has been unchecked in backup job can still be restored (and thats why backup size is different than planned objects to backup size).
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Now I see, quick question – was it an incremental job run? In addition, does the session in the Control Panel contain any warning regarding the VSS writer exclusions?
GrZeCh
Enthusiast

Post by GrZeCh »

During incremental backup I see in windows event log few entries of type "Information" (there are no errors, warnings etc for VSS provider) like this one:

Ran out of time while expanding file specification.... This was being done for the .... subscriber.

(this is error in english language because on my end I'm getting errors in polish language - I'm using latest Windows 10 build). One more thing at the beggining I've performed volume backup type but when I saw that I can't exclude dirs in volume backup type I've stopped backup process which never finished, removed whole Veeam Backup directory for my backup task and edited backup task to File Level Backup and then excluded dirs and performed full backup. I didn't saw anywhere something like "remove backup configuration" or something similar so like I said I've removed backup directory and updated my backup configuration so maybe selecting volume level backup at the beggining saved somewhere and new updated backup configuration is not being taked under consideration now.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Be aware that Windows 10 is not supported. Thanks for additional details, we will try to reproduce it internally.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Yes, it could be a VSS optimization writer issue. In order to check it, please, open a support case from the Endpoint Control Panel > Support and let me know the case ID. Thank you in advance.
GrZeCh
Enthusiast

Post by GrZeCh »

Hello,

here it is: Case # 00871837

Thanks
mayro
Novice
Full Name: Mikhail Lobakhin

Post by mayro »

Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Mikhail, what does this command show on the guest you're trying to backup - vssadmin list writers?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Mikhail,
Please, open a support case so we could check the logs and do not forget to post here your case ID. Thank you.
mayro
Novice
Full Name: Mikhail Lobakhin

Post by mayro »

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Mikhail,
Let’s continue the troubleshooting via forum private messages, I’ve already sent you a PM.