Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
saintdle
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Dean lewis

VMCE v9 - Another exam to take

Post by saintdle » 3 people like this post

I'm going to be honest, I like veeam as product, I have no issue with it. And hearing v9 is on the horizon is great as theres lots more features that will be coming out which will no doubt help when DR proofing a customers site.

However this poses a problem, as it means that I have to upgrade my VMCE status again.

Having done this back in March from v7 to v8, near the end of the 120 day marker before you need to take the course. I now look as if I'm going to have to do this again by the end of the year.

This means over all the exam has practically expired within a year, which isn't great if you ask me, you get two years on VCP and CCIE exams, and 3 years on CCNA/CCNP Exams,

Microsoft is variable due as per their release schedule for major products, as to when they upgrade the exams.

I thought I'd air my thoughts, I couldn't find an appropriate part of the forum to do it in
Technical Architect
Veeam Certified Architect
Veeam Vanguard
  • Personal Technical Blog - www.veducate.co.uk
  • Twitter - @saintdle
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: VMCE v9 - Another exam to take

Post by Andreas Neufert »

My understanding of this is that Veeam want an powerful up to date channel that can consult Veeam customers the best way.

I understand the situation. I recommend to contact Emeric Pillet or your Veeam Channel or Partner Manager to discuss this situation.
hoFFy
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Sebastian Hoffmann

Post by hoFFy »

Same situation for me... Took the VMCE7 course (v8 was in beta state), passed the test (if I read the number correct, I'm one of the first 1000 VMCEs...), v8 got released and then got hit by the info that I'll have to take at least online courses for a new v8 certificaten. Passed the test this month on the 15.th (on the same day I received a mail that the time for certification has been extended....grrrr) and now the same: "hey v9 is knocking on the door, prepare for certification" ;-)
At the moment, Veeam is the product which consumes most of my time for certification during the year...
Microsoft MCITP? Done for 2008R2... certification persists, and I can decide on my own when I would like to take another exam for actual versions
VMware VCP5? Done the exam, needed to recertificate for 5.5 BUT!!!: this was a "whats new" exam, and not an copmplete exam. VMware 6 got released during my delta exam, but that didn't matter...

What about taking What's new courses and designing special tests for VMCEs? Also I found it very hard to deal with questions concerning storage snapshots. We don't have any customer out there with that hardware, so theres no practical knowledge about this. I understand that a VMCE has to be able to deal with all possible hardware designs... but... is there a way to simulate such an environment, as its possible with nested ESX installations?
VMCE 7 / 8 / 9, VCP-DC 5 / 5.5 / 6, MCITP:SA
Blog: machinewithoutbrain.de
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Just to assure you and all who will come following this thread, be assured we are already discussing internally this very topic, I just talked today with the Education Team and they are working on this topic, and they are also aware now of this thread. When anything will be finalized they will come here to give you an official answer, or through me.

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Regarding Storage Integration...
HP StoreVirtual Appliance 1TB is for free
https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdep ... r=VSA1TB-S
(same we use in vmce)

NetApp Ontap Simulator is also available, but I think you have to be a partner. Ask you NetApp representative or Distributor.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Ah, just came to post an update, but Luca has stolen my thunder ;)
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Dean Colpitts

Post by dcolpitts »

I agree 100% with Saintdle on this. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for the education, but I have a few serious issues with the VMCE certification, and the upgrade process that I we just finished going through. First was the lack of communication I received here in North America about the upgrade exam. I had asked about it 3 times prior to it being available in what, late January? Everytime I was told don't worry about it - "we will tell when it is available", and the last time wasn't all that friendly over the phone. So I didn't ask again. The end of March came and I still hadn't had a communication from Veeam's certification team, so I figured I had better ask again. By this point I was well into my busy season, and had less than 60 days to get the update done, which I completed with 4 days left... The entire process was poorly managed.

Second was the upgrade course its self. A 40 minute video of what is new, yet the VMCE8 "delta" exam had a significant amount of matter not covered / reviewed in the delta. The end of delta video test exam, which I got 80% without looking at the books or anything else did not led me to believe that the delta exam would be much different. Imagine my surprise when I took the test and found a boatload of stuff on it that I don't use on a daily basis, which meant I wasn't prepared for it (in all fairness, I didn't review any courseware before taking the "delta" exam) because I had focused very intently on the what is new stuff.

Third - the day after I passed my VMCE, I logged into Partner University and found that the full course-ware had been posted there along side the VMTSP course-ware. I saw no where in any of my communications that the full course-ware was available for V8. All the education people told me was that there was a delta course.

Fourth - apparently my vision of what a VMCE should be and Veeam's not the same. As far as I am concerned, the existing VCME is nothing more than a basic administrators course. To me a VMCE certification should be an architect based course, and the current course / exam an administrator course (or VMCA). As a ProPartner - Veeam should be expecting us to have a much higher understanding and comprehension of how to full design and plan the environment, not just click next, next, next, finish to install the product, which basically is what the current VMCE is.

If someone from Veeam is at HP Discover this week and would like to chat about my concerns in person - get ahold of me because I'd be happy to share my thoughts and concerns on this subject over a beer.

dcc
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Dean,
I will be at HP Discover, more than happy to discuss a bit on this on a beer :)
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner

Post by dcolpitts »

Luca - DM me on Twitter @deancolpitts.
saintdle
Veeam Vanguard

Post by saintdle »

I won't be at HP discover, but dcolpitts has it right really.

I'm just unimpressed the fact my certification is expired within a year and because my company is a reseller, Im the one who has to sit it again.

also the upgrade course wasn't brilliant, but luckily I'd just done a few veeam v8 installs using the different options before the exam. However my role is more design work than day to day implementations and administration.

The name Veeam Certified Engineer is really the wrong name for the course/exam/accred. As really it's like its marketed after the MCSE, and there is a huge difference here, I'd say this exam is more like the VCA (fundamentals of technology) with a little bit of MCP (administration of technology) thrown together.
Technical Architect
Veeam Vanguard
  • Twitter - @saintdle
k00laid
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Jim Jones

Post by k00laid »

Just to continue and hopefully add, I love to see the focus on education that Veeam has started but it is easy to see where it will get overwhelming quickly. Considering the rapid release cycle and number of new features in each, would it be possible to do something like the delta exam VMware did for VCP5 to 5.5? Only require an online delivered exam and a lower price point for upgrades?

Maybe in this case we could call it a CBT exam? :)
Jim Jones, Sr. Product Infrastructure Architect @iland / @1111systems, Veeam Vanguard
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner

Post by dcolpitts »

I'm of the understanding HP's certification group is looking into / considering forming a Partner Education Advisory Council consisting of their ExpertOne certification team and certified members of the ExpertOne program to help steer and strengthen their certification program. I think it is certainly something Veeam could easily emulate, and I believe Veeam would do well to reach out to HP, who has one of the largest certification programs in the industry for some tips and hints on how to make Veeam's certification program better not only for Veeam, but for partners and customers alike.
saintdle
Veeam Vanguard

Post by saintdle »

I like both of the above replys

a V9 CBT exam ;) and the steering committee idea
Technical Architect
Veeam Vanguard
  • Twitter - @saintdle
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

As mentioned in this topic. This is currently on an internal discussion on how we will proceed with this. As soon as more information is known about this you will be informed asap. Keep the feedback coming!
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
AntonJVR
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Anton J van Rensburg

Post by AntonJVR »

A question from my side. Will the VMCE training at VEEAMOn be on v8 or v9?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Anton, as far as I know it should be on v9 stuff.
rhys.hammond
Veeam Software
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Rhys Hammond

Post by rhys.hammond »

Hey Vitaliy,

Can we please get 100% confirmation that the vmce training at veeamon2015 will be v9?

Cheers
Veeam Certified Architect | Author of http://rhyshammond.com | Veeam Vanguard | vExpert
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Rhys, I'm not involved in preparing this course, you can clarify this question from the VMCE trainer. I will forward this question to our University team.
Emeric PILLET
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Emeric PILLET

Post by Emeric PILLET » 2 people like this post

Hi Rhys, yes I confirm the VMCE course @ Veeam On will run on V9 content. Indeed it will be the first VMCE v9 course worldwide.

Kind regards

Emeric Pillet
VMCE Program Manager EMEA
Emeric.Pillet@veeam.com
skype & Twitter : Emeric.Pillet1
rhys.hammond
Veeam Software
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Rhys Hammond

Post by rhys.hammond »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Rhys, I'm not involved in preparing this course, you can clarify this question from the VMCE trainer. I will forward this question to our University team.
Thanks Vitaliy
Emeric PILLET wrote:Hi Rhys, yes I confirm the VMCE course @ Veeam On will run on V9 content. Indeed it will be the first VMCE v9 course worldwide.
Hi Emeric, thanks for the information. One more question if I may, when can we expect the exam to be made available through Pearosn Vue.
I just had a quick look here; http://www.pearsonvue.com/veeam/ and it appears to only have the v8 exam available for now.
Im guessing sometime after v9 is officially released?
Veeam Certified Architect | Author of http://rhyshammond.com | Veeam Vanguard | vExpert
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, after v9 GAs the exam question will also be updated.
PariPari
Expert
Liked: 10 times

Post by PariPari »

Any news on when the v9 Exam will be released?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

PariPari wrote:Any news on when the v9 Exam will be released?
As mentioned before, as soon as v9 is GA (which will be soon) the VMCE exam will be available as well.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
widmerkarl
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Karl Widmer

Post by widmerkarl » 2 people like this post

Hi guys

I just stumbled across this thread and took a moment to look on the Veeam University and Veeam Certification page to see if there are already some information about certification / re-certification.

All these information are available at https://www.veeam.com/vmce.html

Short summary:

VMCE 7/8 course attendees/certified engineers
  • VMCE 7 course attendees with no exam: VMCE 7 course attendees who didn’t validate either VMCE 7 or
    VMCE v8 exam will be required to follow a full new VMCE v9 course and validate the full VMCE 9 proctored
    exam at a Pearson Vue test center.

VMCE 7 certified engineers: VMCE 7 certified engineers who did not upgrade to VMCE v8 will
    exceptionally be provided with a free “What’s new V9” online course, and will then have to validate the full
    VMCE 9 exam at a Pearson Vue test center.

VMCE 8 course attendees with no exam: VMCE 8 course attendees who didn’t validate VMCE 8 exam
    will exceptionally be provided with a free “What’s new V9” online course, and will then have to validate the
    VMCE 9 “delta” exam at a Pearson Vue test center.

VMCE 8 certified Engineers: VMCE 8 Certified Engineers will be provided with a free “What’s New v9” online
    course (and potentially practice exam), and will automatically upgrade their status to VMCE v9 once completed.
VMCE Certification Maintenance: evolution of the rules

All VMCEs are required to stay current on knowledge and certifications related to Veeam Software.
Starting VMCE v9, Veeam evolves the mandatory paying VMCE upgrade certification rules from an “every major
release” to “every two major release” process. Example with VMCE v9:
  • VMCE 8 certified engineers are provided with a free upgrade to their VMCE v9 status, and will have to validate
    again for VMCE v10 through a Pearson Vue proctored exam and potentially “What’s New” paying course.

New students who validate VMCE v9 through a paying course and exam will be provided with a free
    upgrade path for VMCE 10, and will have to validate again VMCE v11 through a Pearson Vue proctored exam
    and potentially “What’s New” paying course.
As i mentioned above, these are information from Veeam's VMCE website. Perhaps there will be changes, i don't know. Just make sure you check the site from time to time to see if the certification for VMCE v9 is available. If your are a Veeam Reseller or Silver / Gold / Platinum Partner, perhaps you can contact your channel / partner manager for further information.

I whish you good luck for the next exam ;)
Best regards,
Karl

-----------------------
vExpert 2017-2024
VMware VCP-DCV 2023 / VCA6-DCV / VCA5-DCV / VCA5-Cloud
Former Veeam Vanguard / VMCE v9 / VMTSP v9 / VMSP v9
Personal blog: https://www.driftar.ch
Twitter: @widmerkarl
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner

Post by dcolpitts » 1 person likes this post

Is it just me, or did no one else get any email notifications on the VMCE upgrade path? Very poor communications that needs to be resolved by Veeam's management team in my opinion. This thread was opened several months ago - long enough that the management team should have been atleast able to send out an email to each member of the VMCE community of the required changes instead of us having to go search for them.

dcc
saintdle
Veeam Vanguard

Post by saintdle »

Hi,

So I've yet to have any information at all through about the VMCE v9 stuff, about what I do to upgrade my v8, what options are available etc.

If I didn't create this thread, then I'd be sat twiddling my thumbs. The communication from Veeam around this seems to be a little poor.

I would have expected at least one email off you guys explaining the changes and the fact its every two releases I need to sit the proctored paid for exam. Which I think should be free for anyone who is a partner as they pay a partner subscription fee.
Technical Architect
Veeam Vanguard
  • Twitter - @saintdle
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Dean, I've passed your feedback to the certification team. Thanks.
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner

Post by dcolpitts »

Thanks Foggy, but based on past actions, and experiences - I won't hold my breath to hear from any of them or see an announcement. And to this point in time - I certainly wouldn't recommend this certification to anyone unless they absolutely need it for partner status. I'm usually pretty big on making sure the guys I employ are up to date and certified on the core products we sell and and support, but not this time. To this point it has been a waste of time, money and resources. What a joke.

dcc
haslund
VeeaMVP
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Post by haslund » 2 people like this post

Hi all,

I just started working for Veeam since January 1st. There was a lot of valuable feedback in this thread and every single piece is very valuable to us.

For example Dean Lewis wrote in May last year regarding certification expiration and based on this feedback we revised it very close to his suggeston: every second major release. As discussed in later replies if you for example passed VMCE v8, we will let you upgrade to v9 through a free online exam but for v10 you will need to re-certify at Pearson VUE again.

@Dean Colpitts, regarding your question on administrator course vs. architect course. This is a good point and I agree VMCE is not an architect course. Fortunately we have begun work on a second course, by popular demand from outstanding ProPartners such as yourself, which will be labeled VMCE Advanced. VMCE Advanced will be specifically a Architect course. If you are interested in deep details about this upcoming class ping me and I would love to engange in a Skype/WebEx meeting to tell you more and perhaps collect more of your great feedback.

@k00laid I don't expect we will release delta exams at Pearson VUE, instead we changed the system to Pearson VUE exam for initial exam, then free online exam @Veeam website then Pearson VUE and so on.

@PariPari Availability of VMCE v9 exam at Pearson VUE, for those not yet certified or those who like going there to recertify every version, we expect it to be available February 4th. I can unfortunately not guarantee this date as it is out of our hands and into the hands of Pearson VUE, as we have already submitted all questions/answers to them.

@Dean Colpitts We did not schedule e-mailing each Veeam Certified Engineer that a new version of VMCE was about to be released with information about upgrade rules etc., but based on your feedback I am working on writing such e-mail and having it sent out. I am sorry to hear that you feel the VMCE program is a joke and waste of both your resources and money - I would love to schedule a call with you on Skype/WebEx and hear your thoughts on how we could improve.
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner

Post by dcolpitts » 1 person likes this post

Rasmus - thanks for the update - this is a start... I sent you a PM with contact info in it.

dcc