Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ReKoR
Novice
Liked: 2 times

v9 Insert a tape to continue mail

Post by ReKoR »

Hello,

I recently upgraded to v9. Since then I receive a mail
[Warning] Insert a tape to continue

'Tape_Daily' job requires a tape to be inserted into 'HP Ultrium 6-SCSI' tape library. See the corresponding job session in Veeam Backup & Replication management console for details.
I made no changes to this tape job. I want to get a mail if there is no tape in the library. But in this case the correct tape is inserted and the job is working fine, but I get this mail everytime.
ta_jb
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times

Re: v9: Insert a tape to continue Mail

Post by ta_jb »

+1 for me :wink:
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Have this started to happen, since the v9 upgrade? Did the corresponding job indeed sit and wait for a new tape to be inserted at some point of time? Thanks.
ta_jb
Service Provider

Post by ta_jb »

Yes, it started right after the v9 upgrade.
When the job starts the tape is already loaded, but sends out the insert a tape notification.

Have to wait until the current tape job is finished, will open a ticket afterwards.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Just to have a full understanding of the problem - as soon as the job starts the said email is sent to you regardless of valid tape being present inside the library and of tape job working properly, right? Thanks.
ReKoR
Novice

Post by ReKoR »

Seems that we have exactly the same behaviour. It happens since the v9 upgrade.

@v.Eremin: Yes, this is correct.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Then, it's worth contacting support team, as the described situation looks unexpected. We'd also appreciate, if post here the ticket number, once it's opened, so that we can follow the case. Thanks.
ReKoR
Novice

Re: v9 Insert a tape to continue Mail

Post by ReKoR »

I opened a case #01485006
ta_jb
Service Provider

Post by ta_jb »

My case #01486213
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

While working with support engineers on investigating that, can you tell how many libraries are present inside the problematic media pools? Just one or you've already put Global Media Pool functionality into use adding multiple libraries under one media pool?
clins
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Christian Lins

Post by clins »

Seems that we have exactly the same behaviour. It happens since the v9 upgrade
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Just to clarify, was this option checked inside the tape job settings under notifications? Thanks.
ReKoR
Novice

Post by ReKoR »

I use a single tape drive. I do not use the new global media pool functionality.

What I recognized: If I have a look at the tape drive, it's state is shown as 'Empty'. But in fact there is already a tape in it. This is no new behaviour as it was the same at lower versions. But perhaps it plays a part.
Dima P. wrote:Just to clarify, was this option checked inside the tape job settings under notifications? Thanks.
I use global notification settings to this job, but the option is checked.
ta_jb
Service Provider

Post by ta_jb »

v.Eremin wrote:While working with support engineers on investigating that, can you tell how many libraries are present inside the problematic media pools? Just one or you've already put Global Media Pool functionality into use adding multiple libraries under one media pool?
Only one library (stand-alone LTO-4 drive).
Guido
Enthusiast
Full Name: Guido

Post by Guido »

Same here.
Then I marked one tape Free and now the job starts running with that tape.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Folks,

According to the number of posts, there is definitely an issue but we need to get as much troubleshooting information as possible, so once you recognize the said behavior – submit your logs to the support side and post here the case ID. This will let me pass your logs directly to QA team. Thanks!
StephanF
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times

Re: v9 Insert a tape to continue mail

Post by StephanF »

Hi,

same issue here after upgrading to v9 yesterday.

I have a tape job hanging at "WaitingTape" right after it started.
One LTO6 tape library with one drive and 24 slots. There are 10 tapes in the library. 2 tapes are from the correct Media Pool.Both are expired and therefore could be used.
Restarting job or server has no influence.

Case# 01641672
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The issue has been confirmed and tracked as a bug.

It happens in the following situation. The tape has been exported from a standalone drive, after that, the drive gets inventoried. Then, a new tape is inserted in the drive, but no inventory is performed afterwards.

After that, a tape job is started. Based on the results of the latest inventory backup server decides that there is no tape inserted in the drive. Thus, the corresponding notification is sent.

After a while, the tape job finds the current tape and starts archiving data.

As the result, there is confusion - the tape job is working properly, in the meantime notification regarding insertion of proper medium is still sent.

The issue is planned to be fixed in the Update 1.

Thanks.
StephanF
Enthusiast

Post by StephanF »

Hi v.Eremin,

the issue you described is not suitable for us.
We are using a tape library not a single tape. The tapes were inserted days ago and inventory happened correctly. The tape job started 04:00am and was waiting for a tape until 11:30am. Then I cancelled the job.

This could also be a second (maybe related) issue.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

StephanF,

Thanks for the heads up! I’ve reached QA team to let them know about your particular case.
bfarmil
Service Provider
Full Name: Bryce Farmilo

Post by bfarmil »

Hi,

We are also experience what sounds like the same problem as StephanF. We have a library with tapes from three pools. We load tapes that have come back from storage that have expired protection which have historically worked just fine. Since upgrading to Veeam 9 the jobs will not used the "expired" media and the job stalls once any "Free Pool" media is exhausted. This can be remedied by manually marking each expired tape as free or moving the tapes to the free pool. Neither of these are great solutions especially since the expected behavior shouldn't require it.

I have logged a support ticket with Case # 01670149. We can work around it at the moment but keen for a fix.
ReKoR
Novice

Post by ReKoR »

v.Eremin wrote:The issue has been confirmed and tracked as a bug.
This is exactly the behaviour in our case. But I want to mention that there wasn't an inventory in the previous version as well.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Correct. The issue is specific to version 9, meaning it hasn't existed before. Thanks.
kkuszek
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Kurt Kuszek

Post by kkuszek »

Replying for subscription, I have the same problem here and am also using a tape library, Oracle sl150 with dual lto-6 drives.
I have a "tape libraries discovery" job that is sitting at 0% since yesterday.
My first tape archive job is running but gave me the no tape error to start. The pool had a collection of expired media sets to choose from.
monstermania
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dirk Klatt

Post by monstermania »

bfarmil wrote:Hi,

We are also experience what sounds like the same problem as StephanF. We have a library with tapes from three pools. We load tapes that have come back from storage that have expired protection which have historically worked just fine. Since upgrading to Veeam 9 the jobs will not used the "expired" media and the job stalls once any "Free Pool" media is exhausted. This can be remedied by manually marking each expired tape as free or moving the tapes to the free pool. Neither of these are great solutions especially since the expected behavior shouldn't require it.

I have logged a support ticket with Case # 01670149. We can work around it at the moment but keen for a fix.
Same here! We use a Quantum Superloader3 with 16 slots and LTO5.
Update from Veeam 8 to 9 yesterday afternoon.
Today the daily F2T-job hangs about 30 min in 'Watining for Tape' state. Some Tapes with "expired" state are online. Veeam don't use these tapes!
I've manually changed the tape state with "Mark as free" during the running F2T job. After that Veeam 9 uses the tapes.

Shame on you Veeam! :roll:
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Just to update the topic with the latest information.

There are two separate issues being discussed here.

1) The said notification not working correctly in case of standalone drives. The root cause is described here.

2) Libraries not working correctly with expired tapes. The root cause is under investigation.

I'm trying to highlight that in case of robotic libraries the notification works properly, it's expired tape logic that seems to be misbehaving.

Thanks.
monstermania
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dirk Klatt

Post by monstermania »

v.Eremin wrote: 2) Libraries not working correctly with expired tapes. The root cause is under investigation.
I opened a case # 01672206 and send today logs.
StephanF
Enthusiast

Post by StephanF »

To keep you updated regarding the issue with tape libraries:
I just had a remote session with support were they collected debug logs. To me it was confirmed that this is a bug but the root cause is not known yet. The issue will be escalated immediately for analyzing and creating a fix.

Keep opening support cases so support is able to get as much information as possible.
kkuszek
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Kurt Kuszek

Post by kkuszek »

I opened 01671505 which may have relevant logs to attach here.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,

QA team has confirmed both issues:

1. Standalone drive users get a faulty email notification. The said issue should be fixed in the upcoming Update 1.

2. Expired tapes are not overwritten automatically by tape job (only tapes expired before the upgrade procedure are affected). This issue will be addressed in a private fix, followed by Update 1. As a temporary solution, mark expired media as free manually or use a custom scripting. In order to request a hotfix, please, contact support team.