Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Guest File System Indexing

Post by foggy »

Yes, you can delete unneeded folders.
howartp
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Peter Howarth

Post by howartp »

I don't have any of the issues in this thread, but I've read it with interest having seen it in Gostev's digest.

The Veeam reps have merged several questions about the folder getting big, and answer keeps being given 'just delete them'.

If that's the case, shouldn't there be an additional option (checkbox?) alongside the retention period to only retain index logs of jobs still on disk, and/or still having the index option enabled for a job - if the job no longer has indexing enabled, and the retention period has expired, the logs should be removed, which it appears isn't happening from the questions on this thread?

Just a suggestion for Veeam to consider.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Actually, by default indices are stored only for backups residing on disk (in the Standard version) and all backups within the specified index retention (for higher editions). Most of the questions in this thread were asked by users who just wanted to clean up these data for various reasons, hence the 'just delete them' advise.
DeadEyedJacks
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Dead-Data

Post by DeadEyedJacks »

Question:
In an environment with Enterprise Plus and Backup Enterprise Manager server;
If you disable guest file indexing for a job how quickly will VBR and BEM instances clean up the indexes which are no longer required?
Or does the system leave these old indexes forever and require manual clean-up?
TIA
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Index data will be subjected to retention mentioned in my previous post.
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Post by Mgamerz »

I know this is an ancient post, but it's the most relevant. When you say I must know the location for the file to restore instantly, what does this mean? I must know the exact path? Or I must know it's location in disk so I can browse to it (aka, no search functionality).

I have a deduplicated 22TB server (storage savings is more important at the source with windows dedupe than veeam at backup, even with changed blocks from dedupe). It takes several hours to index. I never search or use enterprise manager but I do browse through a restore point and select files in the explorer window, I am wondering if it would be fine to turn off indexing.

Can someone explain in more detail what you lose when indexing is off?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You lose the ability to search in Enterprise Manager, that's it. If you know where the file is inside the guest OS and can just browse directly to its location, you do not need to search.